Need simple guide for replacing system disk after failure

• Hello All,

Been using OMV 4 for several years and very happy with it. Have upgraded/replaced RAID disks a couple of times without problems.

Today my system boot disk died. I replaced the system boot drive and installed OMV 5.5.11 instead of the old OMV 4. The OMV web interface of 5.5.11 shows my storage disks and RAID are intact.

Is there a simple guide for replacing a system disk? Re-adding shares and users without overwriting any data? Also, all of my users had a private folder, which I do not want to overwrite either. I did not install nor use any additional plugins on OMV 4.

I've ddg'ed and googled for replacing an OMV system disk but cannot find any guides (nor on this OMV forum). Maybe I'm searching for the wrong terms...e.g. "OMV replacing system disk/drive".

I'm a competent linux user but not confident in the OMV envvironment.

• The only thing you can do is reconfigure everything from scratch.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Shouldn't really need a "guide"....

You say your storage disks and RAID are in tact.. If you had any users or special groups on the old install, I'd set those up first (since I'm assuming you'd be using them again) After that, go to Filesystems and make sure your RAID is mounted, if it's not... click your RAID and Click Mount...

Once you know it's mounted.. it's pretty straightforward:

1. Go to Shared Folders

2. Click Add

3. Name Your Share

4. Choose your RAID in the "Device" drop down

5. Click the little "folder" icon next to Path, and choose the folder you want this share to point at.

6. Save and Apply.

Repeat as necessary until all your shares are back in the webUI. Once that is done, start setting up your services and adding your shares back to them as necessary (SMB, NFS, docker, etc.)

• Ok, super thanks! OMV is great!

The group shares are back up.

The home directories under the PersonalFolders are not working.

I'm problably just doing something out of order but here is what I've done.

1. Access Rights Management --> Shared Folders --> Add -->

Device = Data

Path = /PersonalFolders

2. Access Rights Management --> User --> Settings --> User home directory -->

Enable = toggle switch "on"

Location = PersonalFolders [on Data, PersonalFolders]

3. Access Rights Management --> User --> +Add -->

Name = [I added a previous username and the same password as before]

4. Services --> SMB/CIFS --> Settings --> Home Directories -->

Enable = toggle switch "on" for Enable user home directories

Save and Apply changes

Using that username and password in step 3 above I am not able to acces the previous home directory for that user. That user can access the group shares.

What am I missing?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you recreate your user with exactly the same name, caps and all?

• It's possible that although the username is the same, the userid (numerical) might not be.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

He didn't create them in the same order, so the UID's are different

Having only ever set up single-user (home) servers I hadn’t thought of that.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Thanks all...

I've performed some more experiments with weird, indeed security breech-like results.

There were originally 6 users on the system.

Let's call them user1, user2, ... user6.

I recreated user1 with the same password as before, but now using the new system boot disk (going from omv4 to omv5) user1 cannot access their own personalfolder but they can access the user6 personalfolder with full read-write privileges. :huh: Does that mean the UIDs are messed up then? How on earth would I set them straight, yikes?

• Additionally...

Before on OMV4 the PersonalFolders share did not "exist" per se, and the only way to connect to a users private folder was to provide Windows Explorer or Samba on Linux with the username and password. Now, on OMV5 the PersonalFolders share is showing up like all the rest of the regular/normal shares. However, as stated in the previous post, the wrong users have access to the wrong personal folders.

• Okeedokee...

Did some more experimentation and got the following results...

new username on OMV5 = (grants access to) old username on OMV4

new user 1 = old user 8
    new user 2 = old user 2
    new user 3 = old user 4
    new user 4 = old user 3
    new user 5 = no old user access
    new user 6 = old user 5
    new user 7 = old user 1
    new user 8 = old user 7

Soooo, I'm no expert here but this looks like the new and old UIDs are not matching up maybe?

Does anyone know of a **SAFE** way to change UIDs so as to NOT lose any data?

• I guess you could try this and see what happens. Do it for one user only and try to determine if it clobbers anything.

Find a file that you know belongs to a specific named user. run ls -al filename and look at the userid number. Next carefully edit /etc/passwd and find the userid number. Change the username for that entry. Pray some.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!