Networking in OMV5: VLANs on containers and vms

• Good evening,

I'm new in here, hope you guys rock!

Since I have OMV5, we use it to store our things. A Ryzen5 powers a software RAID, equiped with 3x8T, we have 64G RAM aboard - think I'm fine.

Now, I'd like to start-over with some networking things.

Docker/Portainer and Yacht are installed and work properly.

Now, I'd like to use network separation.

We have some VLANs in our home office infrastructure I'd like to use in OMV.

1) Is there a tut that deals with VLANs on Docker Containers?

2) DEBIAN10 itself has a Hypervisor for Virtualisation onboard. How to I arrange this with OMV?

I would appreciate if You could drop some lines - need a kind of best practise.

I'm familar with routing, switching at CISCO to VMware, but never made issues with OMV :)

Thank you a lot and have a wonderful time!

:)

patrick

DEBIAN10

Computing B450M PRO-VDH MAX with AMD Ryzen 5 3400G and 64G DIMM DDR4 Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered) 1866 MHz
    Storage 1x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250G, 3x Seagate IronWulf 8T

• Offizieller Beitrag

We have some VLANs in our home office infrastructure I'd like to use in OMV.

1) Is there a tut that deals with VLANs on Docker Containers

You should be able to set up and use a macvlan in Portainer which points to the Vlan on the network, then apply/add the macvlan to a container. The page I had bookmarked for macvlan creation in Portainer has been removed, looks as if they have updated their guide, but there is information out there if you do a search.

2) DEBIAN10 itself has a Hypervisor for Virtualisation onboard. How to I arrange this with OMV

OMV now has it's own plugin for the creation of VM's information on this can be found here

• Thank you, macom & geaves,

I'll take a look this evening and report my experience afterwards.

Kind regards and many thanks

patrick

DEBIAN10

Computing B450M PRO-VDH MAX with AMD Ryzen 5 3400G and 64G DIMM DDR4 Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered) 1866 MHz

• Thank you for your advices, that was exactly what I needed.

For anyone who'll need it again:

How to Manage KVM Virtual Networks with VLAN, arranged in OMV

Setting-up the repository

Thanks to the developer, there's an add-on available to manage KVM virtual machines and networks directly from openmediavault. After the installation process is successful, there's no further need for "Cockpit" anymore!

1. First, you have to activate the Extras repo from the OMV-Extras page.

2. After updating and activating, you'll find a new Service: KVM.
    3. Here, you're able to setup virtual machines, manage Volumes and so on... and you can create network settings.

4. The created settings will affect the system and will be available in Cockpit:

5. When entering the console, you'll find the virtual network.

Thank for your support, guys.

Hope my small tut will help anyone.

Have a nice weekend

patrick

DEBIAN10

• RAMdriver

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • RAMdriver

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

First, you have to activate the Extras repo from the OMV-Extras page.

You never need to do this. There is nothing in that repo.

After updating and activating, you'll find a new Service: KVM.

No, you need to install the openmediavault-kvm plugin to get that. Enabling extras repo does not add that.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'll update.

Thanks for the advice.

DEBIAN10

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!