[SOLVED]Adding a vFat USB Stick as a storage device / permissions

• Hello,

I‘m testing OMV- carefully and not with my existing backup disks.

So connected a USB stick with existing data on it, vFat formatted.

It seems to go under /src/dev-by-label-USB1 also /dev/sdd1.

But it doesn’t come under /home/media as usual.

When ai want to add it as a shared folder, I get „failed to set file group to 'users‘ for '/src/dev-disk-by-label-USB1/test/'

So no suitable permissions? I am logged in as „admin“ in the GUI.

Chown via terminal „chown -R testuser:users /dev/sdd1 does not return any errors though.

The outcome I hope for is this:

Make the space on this USB stick available to one specific user and this should be the only file/path this user can rwx. Nothing else should be rwx.

Some content might be slightly modified to mask personal settings- just to keep the sharks away, you never know :)

• macom

Hat das Thema mit der Begründung „duplicate“ in den Papierkorb verschoben.
  • I get „failed to set file group to 'users‘ for '/src/dev-disk-by-label-USB1/test/'

So no suitable permissions? I am logged in as „admin“ in the GUI

It should be "/srv...." NOT "/src....."

And did you already created the "test" folder???

Chown via terminal „chown -R testuser:users /dev/sdd1 does not return any errors though.

Maybe you should read first about the Linux commands (linux chown command:(

Chown is for files and directories, NOT drives.

You're trying to own a device when you want a directory: chown -R testuser:users /srv/dev-disk-by-label-USB1/test

And for it to be only available for that specific user:

cd /srv/dev-disk-by-label-USB1/

chmod -R 700 test

Zitat

Recursively set read, write, and execute permissions to the file owner and no permissions for all other users on a given directory:

File Permissions Command - chmod

Invoice will be sent promptly, ;)

• Hm yes /srv/. That was a typo.

I also mistook the device for a folder as it appeared as a folder in my file explorer...

In the GUI I tried it both ways specifying an existing folder as a shared folder as well as specifying a non-existent one expecting OMV to create it. None of these methods work and I suspect it has to do with permissions.

Code
    ls -l /srv/dev-disk-by-label-USB1/TEST 

returns that owner and group are 'root'. For some reason Linux is always mounting USB sticks with root ownership/permissions.

Code
    chown -R testuser:users /srv/dev-disk-by-label-USB1/TEST 

(it is a folder now, not a device) returns (with and w.o the recursive option):

Code
    chown: changing ownership of /srv/dev-disk-by-label-USB1/TEST/subfolder1/subfolder2: Operation not permitted

What confuses me is that I am actually doing this as 'root'.

Some content might be slightly modified to mask personal settings- just to keep the sharks away, you never know :)

• Update:

Yes this is a permissions issue.

I mounted another drive (SATA HDD, EXT4) and the user can get full access, can create & remove folders etc.

It's the stick that is not cooperating.

• You can't expect Linux filesystem concepts such as ownership and permission to work with drives formatted vFAT.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hm yes, I guess this incompatibility might be the reason.

While searching for a solution, I remember now that I had a similar issue under Mint.

Solution: Just tested it and logged in as 'root' I can create and delete files and folders conveniently via Nemo.

Ok, that seems this one solved/answered then.

I should mark it as solved but can't see how, so I'll modify the topic header.

• NAS-i-Goreng

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Adding a vFat USB Stick as a storage device / permissions“ zu „[SOLVED]Adding a vFat USB Stick as a storage device / permissions“ geändert.
  • NAS-i-Goreng

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!