Reduce OMV HDD size

• Hi together,

OMV is running on a 256 GB SSD. I only use 20 GB of the HDD memory and want to make a cyclic backup via dd. ( And also want to use a smaller OMV HDD )

My destination USB for the backup only got 32 GB.

Is it possible to reduce the size of the OMV partitions ?

I already tried GPARTED, AOMEI Partition assistant . Both with a bootable USB stick on a windows 10 PC . Without success.

Would be great if anybody got a hint for me :-).

Best regards,

Mathias

• Reducing the size of the partitions does not reduce the size of the disk, and when you use a dd if=/dev/sda type of command you are copying the entire disk, not a partition.

What you can try to do is use dd to copy the disk to a smaller one. It will of course fail at some point due to running out of room on the destination device, but it may have failed while copying empty space from the source disk and this would not make the copy unusable.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• What you can try to do is use dd to copy the disk to a smaller one

Good idea, but i already tried that, too. But booting from the "new"-HDD failed.
    I think it failed because on the source HDD are 3 Partitions and the third one will not be copied because "out of HDD space" on destination.

Reducing the size of the partitions does not reduce the size of the disk

You are right. So i have to reduce the main partition, but i cant. Its in the middle of two others...

I think i could try to use gparted directly on NAS. Maybe there is only a problem with partitioning via laptop. I will give it a try and report.

• Well, in almost all cases there is no need for a swap partition, so long as you have a decent amount of RAM (8 or more GB). See if you can get by without swap (test this for a while by running swapoff). If the machine doesn't mysteriously crash, you can get rid of the swap partition properly.

What is this third partition?

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, in almost all cases there is no need for a swap partition, so long as you have a decent amount of RAM (8 or more GB). See if you can get by without swap (test this for a while by running swapoff). If the machine doesn't mysteriously crash, you can get rid of the swap partition properly.

What is this third partition?

I used to (several versions ago ) always get some strange error message when i used swapoff that would interrupt booting. Eventually I just said screw it and let the OS have it's swap space.

• I just started Kali-Linux with a bootable USB stick and started GParted. And there is only one partition on the OMV Hdd . I was sure that there was at least a swap partition after the OMV one.... Maybe some setting deactivated it..
    Before i try to change the partition size i do a complete copy on a bigger HDD via DD. Not to crash everything.

I will try to resize the partition tomorrow.

I have one more question at the moment, why is the filesystem format ISO9660 and can i change it if needed ? Thank you and night (iam from germany).

• ISO9660 an an optical drive filesystem format. No idea how or why you are seeing that.

--

• It seems that the ISO9660 thing was the issue.
    After doing the steps described here: https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/579131 i was able to resize the partition.
    After resizing the system booted normally. So now i try to copy the disk via DD to a smaller HDD.
    I still dont know how the hdd filesystem was formated to ISO9660 ?

Update:
    I was able to reduce the size of the OMV HDD and create a backup on a small usb stick,
    Thank you for your support :)

• Mathias1988

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • Mathias1988

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!