Space Needed for OMV5

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's probably taking up half the drive for swap. It's partly why I think 8gigs is to small a recommendation for minimum installs, as you can see. 16-32gigs is much more realistic.

It's not really a mess of random questions at this point as it's common install issues (your other questions may well be more appropriate for new threads).

1. Your install issue is common. Either when folks have multiple drives hooked up during install... or in a small amount of cases (with the OMV installer) the installer flash drive gets picked up as /sda, instead of /sdb. This is where the debian installer helps, as at the end, you can choose where you want root installed

2. It's just an issue of your OS drive being to small.

Testing in Virtualbox is a great idea (I still do it a lot).

• Offizieller Beitrag

The standard installer from the ISO creates a swap partition of the size of your ram. If you want to have a smaller swap partition you can

1. remove some of the ram for installation and add it later
    2. install Debian (without desktop environment) first and then OMV on top (the installer of Debian is more flexible, but also more complicated)
    3. reduce the size of swap after installation (e.g. using gparted)

However, with 4GB of ram, I would keep the swap as defined by the ISO and use a larger disk as KM0201 suggested.

• Quick update: the "new" hardware arrived surprisly fast, so yesterday i gave a try and..

img_20210605_164559-jpg.2513297

the "server" is reborn, and now i'll start to work on it.

P.S. i encountered another difficulty trying to set up OMV5 in virtualbox on my linux laptop...

it completely freeze the host, i don't understand why.

so i'm "stuck" with my windows desktop for the "experiments" with OMV... but this is another story!

Message for myself: before asking a question, remember reading Guides, Wiki and forum threads....

• I have a 32GB sandisk flair usb 3.0 i want to use for OS installation.

In the vm i succesfully tried to remove the swap partition after setting the flash memory plugin.

Then i'll want to add a 500gb disk for torrent temp and docker installation.

And i'll need to transfer my 2TB disk...

Message for myself: before asking a question, remember reading Guides, Wiki and forum threads....

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a 32GB sandisk flair usb 3.0 i want to use for OS installation.

In the vm i succesfully tried to remove the swap partition after setting the flash memory plugin.

Then i'll want to add a 500gb disk for torrent temp and docker installation.

And i'll need to transfer my 2TB disk...

Looks good (although honestly with 32gigs, you probably won't need to remove the swap, unless you have a ginormous amount of ram in that machine).

Not sure what your problem was with OMV and Vbox on a Linux host... I test OMV a ton in Vbox.

• Looks good (although honestly with 32gigs, you probably won't need to remove the swap, unless you have a ginormous amount of ram in that machine).

Not sure what your problem was with OMV and Vbox on a Linux host... I test OMV a ton in Vbox.

Since you install flash memory plugin, in the settings it said to comment swap partition in /etc/fstab. At this point it's only a waste of space to left it there unused (correct me if i'm wrong). I have 8gb of ram

The culprit of the proble with the Vm i think is to search into the "connection" area: i'm able to install OMV if i left it untouched: "NAT connection". But then i cannot obtain an IP, so i need to swithc to "bridged connection" and it hangs at the first attempt to reach the web: e.g. when downloading updates. The same happens if i switch to bridged mode during installation: after choose the atp server, it hangs...

So i'm "stuck" with my windows desktop as host (connected via ethernet cable).

I always have little time to spend for this hobby.. and now i don't have the "freedom" to use my notebook.... but i don't give up.

At the end i'll like to write a step-to-step guide to "properly" set up OMV5 with all of your advice, i think it will be useful for all the newbies like me.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Technically, yes it is a waste of space.. but the reality is, if you're using the OS as designed, then nothing is on the OS drive, except the OS. If the installer puts an 8gig swap on your flash drive, that is going to leave approx. 15gigs for your OS root partition. I'd challenge anyone with a properly configured system, to show they've filled a 15gig OS partition.

As for your vbox issue and the bridged connection.... Under bridged connection there should be a drop down box, depending on your machine, you may have multiple devices there... have you tried another device?

• Technically, yes it is a waste of space.. but the reality is, if you're using the OS as designed, then nothing is on the OS drive, except the OS. If the installer puts an 8gig swap on your flash drive, that is going to leave approx. 15gigs for your OS root partition. I'd challenge anyone with a properly configured system, to show they've filled a 15gig OS partition.

As for your vbox issue and the bridged connection.... Under bridged connection there should be a drop down box, depending on your machine, you may have multiple devices there... have you tried another device?

Ok, so deleting the swap partition is "optional", but i would like to have the "cleanest" system possible, so i think i'll definitely wipe that space out.

Now i'm trying to figure how to create a "space for docker". As i said, my main intent is to create a disk with the download folder for torrents and the configuration file for docker/portainer (and a unprotected folder to give access to my girlfriend to backup her files/documents). Nothing else.

I'll made some "experiments" trying to find a good not-too-bad solution to have a clean base to start with.

-Create a share with subfolders, then install docker in one of these subfolder i guess.

• Hi,i think i reached a first goal: i create a user, a public share (i guess), installed docker/portainer on a data disk.
    installed qbittorrent in docker and managed to download a manjaro iso.

There's a log or something else i could provide you to check if i did a "proper" installation/setup?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't use Qbittorrent, but if you're downloading OK, it is probably OK...

That said...

Command line...

Code
    docker logs -f qbittorrent

will show the log for the qbittorrent container... To exit back top prompt, Cntrl + C

If you're more the point and click type,

1. Log in to Portainer and go to your container listing

2. Under "Quick Actions" column, you'll see 4 icons.

3. The first one is "Logs", simply click the logs icon for Qbittorrent..

You can then scroll through the log, download it if necessary, etc.

• You can check the qbittorrent log file and see what's going on.

/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-92a2f17a-c3e9-4de0-b09a-bbf10f6988e5/appdata/qb/qBittorrent/data/logs/qbittorrent.log

In case you are new to torrenting in general and don't already know this, your public IP address will be visible to anyone in the swarms you join.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hi all. I'm a long time lurker, but have recently registered into the forums.

I just want to add that I have done an installation on an old computer of mine, i3-2120, 4 GB RAM. The following drives are used

USB boot = sdb1 = 8 GB

Sata1 = sdc1 = 250 GB ssd

Sata2 = sda1 = 500 GB hard disk (temporary until my drives come in)

Initial installation on to sdb1 was 4GB + 4GB swap. I installed the Flash plugin and followed all the instructions, and deleted the swap file. I then removed the swap partition, and expanded the main partition to all the space. (Gparted-live) Currently the entire OMV installation on sdb1 is 3GiB and 3.67GiB available.

Sdc1 is where I have installed all the app configs. In OMV-extras, Docker was also installed to this drive. Containers are Portainer, Deluge, qBittorrent, Syncthing and Pi-hole (using a macvlan) I installed most of the containers using Stacks in Portainer. All containers are healthy and running. Pi-hole is blocking on the network. Syncthing does a backup of my important files from the PC, and then that data gets rsync-ed to the hard drive, sda1

Sda1 is the downloads drive. All Deluge and qBittorrent downloads go here. I'm using 2 different clients because one of them is the short term one, and the other is only for sharing things I want to constantly share (like distros).

Miscellaneous information : UPS is attached via USB, NUT plugin installed. USB backup plugin installed for auto backup of important documents every time a USB drive is attached. Symlinks plugin installed, as I don't want to keep using

/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-25d4aabc-d466-452b-45a6-e779123a6a55/config but rather symlink it to become /mnt/config

I hope my experience helps you with your decisions on your own install.

• Hi, you have a very nice installation of OMV!

I hope i'll manage to setup "an half" of the plugins you installed :)

• Many thanks, i think the plugin works without any issue, (unluckyli is only a VM, so i need to repeat all the steps to make it working on the real hardware).

You can check the qbittorrent log file and see what's going on.

/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-92a2f17a-c3e9-4de0-b09a-bbf10f6988e5/appdata/qb/qBittorrent/data/logs/qbittorrent.log

In case you are new to torrenting in general and don't already know this, your public IP address will be visible to anyone in the swarms you join.

Yeah.... i know..
    I'm trying to evaluate a good VPN, and how to setup in OMV if it's possible. Do you use any?

• I'm trying to evaluate a good VPN, and how to setup in OMV if it's possible. Do you use any?

I don't use a VPN on my OMV machine directly. I use one within the qbittorrent docker I mentioned and also used a SOCKS5 proxy within both qbittorrent and deluge dockers, from https://torguard.net/

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hi, today i started to work, play with the "real" hardware. I tried a couple of HDD i have laying around to test noise and i started to configure a shared folder and installed docker on the hard disk.

One thing i can't recall is how to set up docker; i try to explain: i wanted to install the qbittorrent/server but i don't remember how to setup the "config" and the "download" folder....
    I need to create them before attempting to configure the server or these folders where created by docker itself?

it passed a lot of time and i don't remember which guides/tutorials i followed

• You need to create those directories yourself and create the bind mounts for them in the docker setup.

The documentation for the image you are using is all you really need.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!