Space Needed for OMV5

• Can we create directories using the GUI?

If you mean in the OMV GUI I don't think so. Use CLI or some type of file manager like Midnight Commander etc.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• If you mean in the OMV GUI I don't think so. Use CLI or some type of file manager like Midnight Commander etc.

I think that is why newbies have problems. CLI is recommended a lot around here but it’s like a whole other system in itself to learn. The long id path to data drive also adds to confusion sometimes. If the drive is encrypted it needs unlocking on reboot but OMV will try to run Docker before it can be manually unlocked. Auto unlock methods don’t seem very secure. I am going off topic, thanks for the answer :)8o

• You need to create those directories yourself and create the bind mounts for them in the docker setup.

The documentation for the image you are using is all you really need.

Thanks for the answer.

I read the documentation but i didn't find anything.

After a little rest (and a big dinner), my brain started to work again. And i remembered i created a sharedfolders called "appdata" (via OMV GUI) and manually a folder for the downloads in the disk i wanted (in windows file manager). Then i wrote the right path in portainer and now it seems to works!

In the "next episode" i'll need to swap my data disk from my old server".

I just need to recreate the mount points?

Message for myself: before asking a question, remember reading Guides, Wiki and forum threads....

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von xxxmoscoxxx ()

• What is the easiest way to copy a mounted drive’s path? I see it under File Systems but there is no way to copy from what I can see. Are we literally expected to get this from the page source code?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think that is why newbies have problems. CLI is recommended a lot around here but it’s like a whole other system in itself to learn. The long id path to data drive also adds to confusion sometimes. If the drive is encrypted it needs unlocking on reboot but OMV will try to run Docker before it can be manually unlocked. Auto unlock methods don’t seem very secure. I am going off topic, thanks for the answer :)8o

This post is going to be way longer than I really want.. but here goes..

Command line, once you get the hang of it, is very easy for simple things like creating/deleting directories, etc. You really should try to get a basic understanding of command line, as it will help a lot.

That said, there's actually a couple solutions to your folder creation issue.. if I understand what you're wanting to do, you can use the webUI to create directories w/o any special add ons.

So for example... you were discussing Qbittorrent earlier.

Let's say you've created your AppData folder... If you wanted to create a Qbittorrent folder under it.... Just go to the webUI to Shared Folders, Add, Name your folder (qbittorrent, or whatever).. then choose the drive your "AppData" older is on... Then click the folder next to the path, click the AppData folder, then OK. In the path you should now have something like AppData/ All you have to do is append that with the name of the folder you want. So if you wanted a folder called "qbittorrent", then you would just make it like this AppData/qbittorrent. Then save. Once back at your list of shared folders, you should see your qbittorrent folder, and it's path will be "AppData/qbittorrent". The big downside to this is you will have a TON of folders in your shared folder listing.

Another thing... Remember, docker-compose/stacks will create folders that do not exist. So if you deploy a docker-compose for qbittorrent, and one of the directories you've set up is: "/srv/numbers/Appdata/qbittorrent:/config"... and that does not exist... docker-compose and/or stacks, will both create that directory.

As for copying your path.. how I usually do it, I cd to it in the command line, then copy/paste it from there...

But this brings me to another point, especially for those of you struggling with disk id's, long numbers, etc... symlinks. omv-extras has a super simple symlinks plugin that will let you create simple, easy to remember paths, in the webUI. I've been doing this for a bit, and honestly because I keep my paths very consistent, I can do most docker-compose/stack files, with very little thought as it pertains to volumes.

For my purposes, I created a folder, via command line, on my root directory called "NAS".. I then chowned it to be owned by my user (not 100% necessary, but easy if you need help). Then it was just a matter of creating my symlinks under the NAS directory. I Knew I wanted AppData under there, so I used the symlinks plugin... source is going to be /srv/whatever (you can use the folder buttons to point and click your way to directories). Target, will be /NAS/AppData)

Now, in all my docker-compose/stack files, the map to my /config directory will be /NAS/Appdata/whatever:/config. I do the same thing for any "media folders" (Music, Movies, etc..) and just map them to a folder called Media, but you could set it up however you want. If the folders are not there already... when I deploy the compose/stack file... they will be created... and becuase I'm using a symlink directory... they'll be on your data drives somewhere under /srv/whatever, but viewable under a much easier to remember path

Example (note lines 11, 12, and 26):

So if you're struggling with paths, etc... again, LEARN SYMLINKS. I'd tell you that even w/o a plugin, as symlinks are pretty easy to create at the command line.

• Thanks for the explanation, I will look into SymLinks tonight. That’s exactly what I have been looking for! :):thumbup:

• This post is going to be way longer than I really want.. but here goes..

But this brings me to another point, especially for those of you struggling with disk id's, long numbers, etc... symlinks. omv-extras has a super simple symlinks plugin that will let you create simple, easy to remember paths, in the webUI. I've been doing this for a bit, and honestly because I keep my paths very consistent, I can do most docker-compose/stack files, with very little thought as it pertains to volumes

So if you're struggling with paths, etc... again, LEARN SYMLINKS. I'd tell you that even w/o a plugin, as symlinks are pretty easy to create at the command line.

WAIT..... so you mean to tell me I've been creating all my symlinks by hand for no reason?! LOL, just about to setup an OMV 6 server... Gonna have to look into this! I've only ever run to the very bottom and selected extras and reset perms... guess I should "stop and smell the roses every now and again". :P

Thx for the tip. :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

WAIT..... so you mean to tell me I've been creating all my symlinks by hand for no reason?! LOL, just about to setup an OMV 6 server... Gonna have to look into this! I've only ever run to the very bottom and selected extras and reset perms... guess I should "stop and smell the roses every now and again". :P

Thx for the tip. :thumbup:

The symlinks plugin isn't available for OMV 6 yet (but every indication is it will be).. but yes.. the plugin makes it point and click simple.

Also, omv 6 is still alpha. Bullseye isn't even stable yet... So I probably wouldn't recommend going to 6 unless you're just wanting to try it)

• Hi, sorry guys but build/study this new nas is hard to conciliate with life family and works, so it's probably taking longer than necessary, but yesterday i finally dismissed the old server and decided to turn on the new build.

I have three disks,

- (300GB) mainly for storing temporary torrent and docker containers

- (2TB) my previous disk

- (500GB) for storing movies/series and GF's stuff

To start i decided to create only public shares, and in Android i can access all my data without any password (i use "solid explorer). Windows (i plan to get rid of it "soon"), however, asks for username/password when i click on the name of my nas. I haven't tried in linux at the moment.

I used the plugin "reset perms" on all the shared folders, and i confirm i don't need the old name/password to access the "old disk".

(everyone: read/write; guests allowed)

Maybe the culprit is something related to the "user" i created? (groups are "sudo"; "ssh"; "sambashare").

I plan to secure the 2TB share with a password, but for now i tried "unprotected". Can someone explain me the right steps to follow?

Another question: regarding VPN.

After a little search i think i'll opt for Nordvpn because i think it offer good ratio "price/quality",

do you think is "doable" for me to use this container with qbittorrent?

Message for myself: before asking a question, remember reading Guides, Wiki and forum threads....

• I'm a little dejected. I tried to follow the instruction as shown in this video, and i succesfully configured and started gluetun with nordvpn.

At the moment to "say" qbittorrent to pass trough the gluetun container i deleted the ports as per instruction and i clicked "deploy container".

Now the cataclysm happened... It stuck a deployment in progress. I tried another route.. i stopped both the container and tried to configure a second time, but i only received errors since omv hangs...

Rebooted the vm and logged into portainer showed me lots of errors "can't fin endpoints" et similia..

Looking at the dashboard i saw i have 85 "images" that i cannot delete because are "referenced" in some ways....

It seemed an easy procedure.. but it destroyed my omv installation.

Now i need to start from beginning and i'm afraid this could happen also in my real server..

Do you know what may have happened?

• One small step after another:

- I created an img of my usb drive with DD, so i would be able to restore it flashing with etcher.

- I figured why i couldn't setup a OMV VM on my notebook (the host hangs at first network load), so now i think i could build a mobile VM giving me more flexibility

At least i'm happy because i'm learning a lot of things thanks of you guys who have a lot of patience to teach us n00bs

• Hi everyone,

This is my 1st post in this forum and I read what I want to know is similar to the thread. I'm about to setup my first OMV now pending a motherboard to start this project.

My motherboard will come with 4 Sata port and I plan to use 1 HDD (80 Gb just to install OMV) and other 3 port for my data (all for movies). From what I read and watch in installation video, I must need to create a file data storage volume. It confuse me whether I need 1 HDD to run OMV + file data (2 partition on 1 HDD) or 2 HDD (1 for installation and 1 for file data).

If I need just a partition to allocate for file data, how much space I should allocate for it? If any guide or explanation on this, kindly let me know.

• Offizieller Beitrag

nostress4game

1. Many users here (most?) have their system running on a 32GIG USB flash drive. Don’t waste a SATA port on your system OS.
    2. you don’t need a separate drive for file data, just make sure is not on the same drive as the OS.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!