Couple questions about moving from single disk to RAID

• Hello,

I have a couple questions about moving from single HDD to RAID configuration - or something similar to RAID.

Right now I am using single Seagate ST4000DM004 (4TB, 5400 RPM, 256 MB) configured as NTFS drive. I have a new WD SE WD4000F9YZ (4TB, 7200 RPM, 64 MB) and I have plans to buy another one (or two) in nearly future. But for now I am thinking about moving these two drives to RAID configuration.

My questions are:

1. Should I use RAID1 for these two disk and convert it to RAID5 after getting another 4TB drive?

2. Is it possible to convert RAID1 to RAID5 under omv without loosing configuration/data/etc?

3. Should I use NTFS file system or other? I am using my omv for plex, samba, ftp - with Windows 10 machines, Android 11 and my TV - LG B8 (DLNA/PLEX);

4. Is it possibile to move all my existing data from Seagate drive to external one (for time of conversion data drivers) and move it back to created RAID structure without messing up OMV and all dependent setup? All samba/folder sharing/containers/etc settings need to be created again or just simple path updates?

I think that is all for now. Thank you in advance :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

and to 4. that's easily done

Not that easy as the filesystems are mounted by UUID. So you have to point the shared folders to the new filesystem and also adjust absolute paths for e.g. docker.

• Not that easy as the filesystems are mounted by UUID. So you have to point the shared folders to the new filesystem and also adjust absolute paths for e.g. docker.

True, but OP was already aware of that. I was just pointing out the easiest ways to back up all data.

• Thank you all for reply.

To 1 and 2:

Disks are mounted but file system missing after adding a second disk

to 3: use a Linux filesystem like ext4

Is this file system fully compatible with Windows 10? I have found that it needed some kind of additional drivers or specific type of drive mounting (wsl --mount). I am accessing (writing mainly) my drive using samba from Windows 10 (90% time, maybe 10% for FTP). I have also using PLEX server and DLNA on my TV (LG B8), and I am thinking about making backup of my Windows 10 PC drive on the OMV data drive. So I need full compatible with all these options.

About 1 and 2 - I will read about it later. But just for now I have some thoughts about RAID system and probably I will not use it, just simple backup of my data drive.

And about 1, 2 and 4: if current data drive is formatted as NTFS system and new data drive will be in ext4, will:

and to 4. that's easily done with the USB Backup plugin, or a simple rsync job that backs up your entire data disk (with user/group ownerships and permissions intact).

work in this case?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is this file system fully compatible with Windows 10? I have found that it needed some kind of additional drivers or specific type of drive mounting (wsl --mount). I am accessing (writing mainly) my drive using samba from Windows 10 (90% time, maybe 10% for FTP). I have also using PLEX server and DLNA on my TV (LG B8), and I am thinking about making backup of my Windows 10 PC drive on the OMV data drive. So I need full compatible with all these options.

That is the purpose of samba. You can access the filesystem which are attached to the NAS via samba from Windows.

PLEX and DLNA are also there to serve data from your NAS to the clients.

• Thank you macom.

What settings should I use in rsync to get the most of its power in case of my cloning thing? Maybe some additional options?

In my old hard drive I have a shared folder named EVERYTHING which is pointing to root directory on this disk. Similar shared folder should be created on the new disk and these two folders should be pointed in rsync, right?

Edit:

So I have created rsync job as follow in attached screen, but when trying to start the job I getting this error:

Code
    Error #0:
    OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export SHELL=/bin/sh; sudo --shell --non-interactive -- /var/lib/openmediavault/cron.d/rsync-fb9bc053-f487-40f2-9694-31f8c25edcc7 2>&1' with exit code '1':  in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/rsync.inc:263
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(588): Engined\Rpc\Rsync->Engined\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatus3H...', '/tmp/bgoutputQz...')
    #1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/rsync.inc(267): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))
    #2 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\Rsync->execute(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('execute', Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Rsync', 'execute', Array, Array, 1)
    #6 {main}

Edit2:

Ok I have set additional parameter '-x' and check 'Silent' mode and looks like rsync was started. Is there any option to graphically check the progress? There are no data about progress after starting rsync job so I moved to rsync/job logs right now.

• Hello guys, I have some questions about rsynced backup disk and RAID.

First of all, is there any way to unmount disk which is planned in rsync shedule and shared folder mounted? I just want to use it weekly to create copy of my data drive and disable it after backup completly. Right now I've just unplugging it from my server.

Second one - I am slowly running out of space on my data drive - it is single 4TB drive. I have another 4 TB drive (using for above rsync backup) but it is slower than my regular one (5400/256 vs 7200/64, and regular one is dedicated for NAS servers). What way of expanding data volumes your suggest? Buy another 4TB (or two for parallel performance) drive and goes to RAID5 (without additional backup drive) or go for 8TB drive as data drive and use these two 4TBs for rsync backup? Two 4TB drives is cheaper option instead of one 8TB right now.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!