Backup OMV configuration on a remote NAS for later (emergency) restore

• Hello friends of OMV :)

i tried looking in the forum and can not sort out my needings...

i just want to backup my OMV settings/configurations so that in case of a system failure I would be able to do a fresh install and restore my system.

I don't need to backup the content of attached HDDs (but it would be fine if I just can do a fresh instal, restore my system and have the same shared folders on the HDDs)

I have a second NAS (Synology) in my Homenetwork and want to do a periodical Backup of OMV System to this Synology box.

Would it be okay if I just shedule a rsync job and copy the whole system HDD to my syno box?

Or can this be easily be done with the backup plugin?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thank u

/edit: and what would be the best way to restore system after a fresh install?? :/

7.0.4-2 (Sandworm) // ASRock J5040-ITX with Intel(R) Pentium(R) Silver J5040 CPU @ 2.00GHz // be quiet! ATX 500W (BN46) // 2x4GB Samsung M471A5244BB0-CRC

Fractal Design Node 304 // 4-Port PCIE to SATA 3.0 ControllerCard // 1x 128GB SSD for OS and 2x 4TB, 1x 5TB and 3x 8TB HDD as one big fuse.mergerfs space (no need for raid parity)

• Offizieller Beitrag

i just want to backup my OMV settings/configurations so that in case of a system failure I would be able to do a fresh install and restore my system.

Not possible. You have to make a backup of the complete OS drive.

Easiest way is to make a clone or an image of the OS drive, e.g. with clonezilla.

There is also the backup plugin which uses various methods. If you want to use it, make sure you test the restore process. There are some threads how to do it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If your OS is on a SD card or USB stick this link has a good backup method.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!