Access from Linux Mint nt possible

• Hi

OMV 2.2.14 on bananapi worked fine since a couple of years with Windows clients. Now I have tried to access a share with Linux Mint 18.3 but it is always denied.

When I browse to the shared folder with the filemanager I'm asked for username and password. Then the shared folder is opened and I can browse through the subfolders but I'm not able to read or write on it. On right click the filemanager shows: owner: root but everything is grey, so that I cannot change anything

The filemanager shows no permissions for reading or writing.

I'm not sure if it is a problem with the configuration of the client (Linux Mint) or if I have to change something in OMV.

Does anyone see the problem and have an idea?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, the problem is pounding on the keyboard. Hard telling what the problem is but you've seriously not ran an update in at least 6yrs and you wonder why you might be having an issue? Trying to mess w/ that will be nothing but a headache as OMV 2 has been EOL forever

Learn to keep your system regularly updated.

• The last update is not 6 years old but yes it is old. I use the system only for backups in the intranet. The backups are very important for me and when I decided to use OMV and a single board computer it was not clear for me that it would not be possible to update without reconfigure it completely new.

To prevent a period without a backup I have bought new hardware for a second OMV-system already. When this will run I will update the old OMV because time for setting up and testing will not be as critically as it would be now.

Are there any hints for the original problem? Could it be a generally problem? I think the most people use OMV with Windows clients so that they do not have such problems. The users with Linux clients often have more experience so that they know the solution without asking in forums.

• revise SMB MAX and min protocol variables to define that a new OS like Linux Mint can browse old server like yours.

revise Owner and permission (750 or similar) on the shared folders , so be sure that user used to login have enought permissions..

• I also have Mint and also a Raspi with OMV. I have created my shares with NFS. This is easier in my opinion.

You have not yet described how you created your shares and how you mount them, e.g. with fstab?

With the Sambaversionen something has done in the years. There used to be version 1, which is no longer used today and would have to be specified as an option in the fstab.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The last update is not 6 years old but yes it is old. I use the system only for backups in the intranet. The backups are very important for me and when I decided to use OMV and a single board computer it was not clear for me that it would not be possible to update without reconfigure it completely new.

To prevent a period without a backup I have bought new hardware for a second OMV-system already. When this will run I will update the old OMV because time for setting up and testing will not be as critically as it would be now.

Are there any hints for the original problem? Could it be a generally problem? I think the most people use OMV with Windows clients so that they do not have such problems. The users with Linux clients often have more experience so that they know the solution without asking in forums.

Sorry, 4yrs. The point still stands

• revise SMB MAX and min protocol variables to define that a new OS like Linux Mint can browse old server like yours

revise Owner and permission (750 or similar) on the shared folders , so be sure that user used to login have enought permissions..

Thanks for your suggestions.

As far as i know Linux Mint 18.3 supports SMBv1 out of the box. Only Mint19 or 20 have to be configured for smbv1 in smb.conf.

With Linux Mint 18.3 I'm able to connect to shares on a computer with WinXP which uses SMBv1.

I will double-check owner and permissions on weekend.

I also have Mint and also a Raspi with OMV. I have created my shares with NFS. This is easier in my opinion.

You have not yet described how you created your shares and how you mount them, e.g. with fstab?

When I installed OMV I hadn't the plan to use Linux clients and there will be always one Windows computer at least. So I think it's easier for me to keep smb/cifs. I'm not sure how I have created the shares. I think I managed everything with OMV.

• Thanks for your suggestions.

As far as i know Linux Mint 18.3 supports SMBv1 out of the box. Only Mint19 or 20 have to be configured for smbv1 in smb.conf.

With Linux Mint 18.3 I'm able to connect to shares on a computer with WinXP which uses SMBv1.

That is ok, but OMV , DO NOT support SMB1, so you need to configure SMBmin protocoll according to prevent Linux Mint to try to use SMB 1, and please search forum about this LTNM support on OMV forums because is widely discuss, and simptoms are simmilars to yours.

Eg: RE: SMB shares inaccessible on Windows 7 and 10

• I'm confused. Connections with Win XP to my OMV works well. Because XP only supports SMB1 my OMV must support SMB1.

On OMV-computer I made a new folder "test2" and made "chmod a+w ./test2" so that I get 777.

I can see this folder with Mint18.3 and I can browse to it but if I try to create a file or folder, nemo still says: "No permissions".

The owner of "test2" is root.

Code
    ls -l
    drwsrwsrwx+ 2 root        users          4096 Mai 19 15:20 test2

EDIT2:

I changed owner of "test2" to the logged in user and after that I could create files and folders in "test2".

That brings me to two questions:

Why is it possible to write to a shared folder with Windows computer if the owner is root and why is it necessary for Linux to have the same owner?

I think it should be possible to access a network share from OMV without having the same username and owner because it otherwise it wouldn't be possible to provide a share for more than one user.

There are some basic secrets that I have to discover.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why is it possible to write to a shared folder with Windows computer if the owner is root and why is it necessary for Linux to have the same owner?

I think it should be possible to access a network share from OMV without having the same username and owner because it otherwise it wouldn't be possible to provide a share for more than one user.

1. When you create a shared folder look at the bottom half of ACL of that folder and you will see Owner, Group, and Others permissions in the bottom half of the opened window, and by default they will be what you see below. The key to it all is that when you create a user, the user is automatically added to the Users group, thus giving every user created in the gui Read/Write/Execute permissions.
    2. If you create users in OMV for every user in your network they all are in the Users group and thus have permissions to all shares you create.

Of course to see your shares on your networked machines you have to create SMB shares of every Shared Folder. The link macom gives just above is an excellent source to permissions that fleshes permissions out way better than I have here.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Hi

OMV 2.2.14 on bananapi worked fine since a couple of years with Windows clients. Now I have tried to access a share with Linux Mint 18.3 but it is always denied.

...I can browse through the subfolders but I'm not able to read or write on it. On right click the filemanager shows: owner: root but everything is grey, so that I cannot change anything

The filemanager shows no permissions for reading or writing.

I read Windows there somewhere...

Could it have to do w. the file format?

I had a vFAT formatted USB stick and since this doesn't fit into the Linux file permissions system, the owner is always root and not much other permission info showed up.

This looks very similar to this. Are you trying to access NTFS/FAT formatted files?

Some content might be slightly modified to mask personal settings- just to keep the sharks away, you never know :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!