Restricting access to a subfolder?

• I'm struggling to come to a solution of this little issue, so I think I could use some help...

Let's say I have a samba share mounted in /sharedfolders/myshare which contains folders A, B and C

user1 and user2 can have access to A, B and C

user3 can have access to folder C only

What's the best approach to solve this problem? What concerns me is inheritance of permissions, for instance when user1 writes in folder C which is the only one readable by user3 what happens?

• I tried, before posting, but it seems in my scenario it is not working.

Could it be I messed up something while creating/deleting users and shares doing tests?

When you say:

Zitat

Next, I created a directory called "Permissions" and made the following changes in the drop down

Are you talking about the lower part (advanced options) in the ACL drop down?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I tried, before posting, but it seems in my scenario it is not working.

Could it be I messed up something while creating/deleting users and shares doing tests?

When you say:

Are you talking about the lower part (advanced options) in the ACL drop down?

When you create a directory, You have multiple options for permissions... has nothing to do with ACL at this point.

The second one (admin: rw, users: r others: none) is what you want.

If you're having trouble with ACL (some do for some reason)... have a look in the other permission thread.. crash linked to a document on permissions.

https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…d=nas_permmissions_in_omv

• Thank you for your help.

Keep in mind I'm working on an existing folder structure.

I'm still not following you on the folder permissions thing: if I'm creating foders from Windows, I don't understand to which dropdown you are referring to.

From ssh I don't have a drop down, and from OMV I don't know where I can create a folder into a samba share...

I'm sorry. I know I will feel stupid once you explain it :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

See, you read what I wrote, I was creating the directories from command line.. I don't use Windows so who knows what it is doing since Windows doesn't do anything with Linux permissions when it creates directories.

You can reset the permissions on a directory with the resetperms plugin from omv-extras

• Zitat

Next, I created a directory called "Permissions" and made the following changes in the drop down

I'm sorry, you talked about a drop down and I didn't followed you anymore :)

• I think we have troubles understanding each other, so I leave because English is not my main language and I don't want to be banned on my first day here.

Thank you for your help, seriously ;)

I quoted a message from you which talked about a "drop down", and I understood you were talking about a window. Since I'm trying to solve an issue, it's important for me to udenrstand correctly what others say. Before opening this thread I read the one you linked. That was not completely clear, to me so I asked clarifications.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think we have troubles understanding each other, so I leave because English is not my main language and I don't want to be banned on my first day here.

Thank you for your help, seriously ;)

I quoted a message from you which talked about a "drop down", and I understood you were talking about a window. Since I'm trying to solve an issue, it's important for me to udenrstand correctly what others say. Before opening this thread I read the one you linked. That was not completely clear, to me so I asked clarifications.

I'm not sure where you'd get the idea you're going to be banned... You said. I stopped reading there. I simply said that was the first thing to fix. There's plenty here that english is not their native tongue.

If you had read further, what you were doing, and what I was doing, were completely different, especially when you start adding Windows into the equation. I said nothing about creating the directories in question under Windows. Since I assume you had "permission inheritance" enabled, this is going to cause part of your issue.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Let's say I have a samba share mounted in /sharedfolders/myshare which contains folders A, B and C

user1 and user2 can have access to A, B and C

user3 can have access to folder C only

I would create shared folder A, B, C in the GUI of OMV (e.g. /sharedfolders/myshare/A)

Yes, you can creates shared folders within shared folders.

Then set privileges for user1, user2 and user3 according your needs.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would create shared folder A, B, C in the GUI of OMV (e.g. /sharedfolders/myshare/A)

Yes, you can creates shared folders within shared folders.

Then set privileges for user1, user2 and user3 according your needs.

That would certainly be better than doing it via Windows.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!