Harddrives not found

• Hello,

I have an issue with my system. After a major update of my system, OMV is not showing any drives. I read a lot in the documentation and found several bugs in my config.xml. So I went the whole way and cleaned it up as much as possible. Result:

omv-salt stage run prepare: No errors

omv-salt stage run deploy: No errors

But... If I click on the Drives (Laufwerke) tab, I only see a scroller, forever.

syslog:

As a result, If I try to show my file systems, I get another endless running scrolling circle:

And as SAMBA relies on these, it has deleted my network shares and I have to manually copy a rough configuration over to the smb.conf that lasts until I safe any kind of updates OMV config.

Can someone please help to find the issue Or can give me a hint of how to reset my configuration without loosing any data?

BR
    dc3ax

• Offizieller Beitrag

Or can give me a hint of how to reset my configuration without loosing any data?

When you reinstall OMV you will not loose your data. Just disconnect the data drives. Install OMV. Connect the data drives and boot. After that you can mount the filesystems on the data drives and start with the configuration.

• I have to figure out of how to re-install OMV without destroying my docker configuration. I do not manage docker via OMV, so is there a way of re-installing OMV on a running system?

like "apt install --reinstall omv" or such?

• Thanbks for your help macom

Actually, that did not work :)

OMV is back up with the exact same configuration and the same problems. Would it be possible to copy over a blank config.xml or is it enough to rename the old one to something like "config.xml_backup"?

• Okay, I removed the omv and had a little thought.

As OMV removed the docker management, samba was the only service that was left to be managed by OMV.

So I am really thinking why I should re-install omv...

Not finally decided, but the only benefit I remember is the automatic email about updates.

However, thanks for the nice support, macom

• Offizieller Beitrag

Daily mail for pending upgrades (apticron)

apt install apticron

cp /usr/lib/apticron/apticron.conf /etc/apticron/apticron.conf

nano /etc/apticron/apticron.conf

and change E-Mail address

You need an MTA as postfix, that is used by OMV.

• As OMV removed the docker management, samba was the only service that was left to be managed by OMV.

So I am really thinking why I should re-install omv...

Wait, so Portainer doesn't count? It's available through OMV-Extras and manages your containers very nicely. Even Cockpit is another option (albeit more basic) for handling containers.

And what about SMART? LUKS encryption? RAID management? MergerFS, ZFS support, Proxmox kernel, KVM virtualization, not to mention user/group and ACL permissions management to go along with shared folders? Rsync server and scheduled jobs?

OMV manages all of this and more for you. It's not just Samba.

By the way, you can safely reinstall OMV from scratch and not lose any of your containers - as long as your Docker path is somewhere on a storage volume and not on the system partition (/var/lib/docker). If you want to be extra safe, just back up everything in your Docker path first.

• Hi cubemin !

I am controlling Docker through Portainer. The rest of the things I simply don't use or configure it manually.

How often do you reconfigure your RAID?

How often do you change the permissions of your family members?

And to be honest, why using samba at all? It is only to store all the trash somewhere. For everything important I use Nextcloud. That shares all data perfectly and I do not need any RAID and backups and such things, as all data exists on all permittet machines. So as long as I have my notebook with me, the server can be set on fire and I don't loose a single byte.

However, may be I decide different... Let's see.

A problem is, that the initial OMV release (I guess 3.x) has created aweful cryptic mounts and shares in completely unusual directories. After upgrading from 3.x over 4.x to 5.x something got lost. But I have to deal with these unusual mounts and links now. And the whole system is arranged around /dev/disk/id-by-name-seagate-volume1-user-drive/ that is linked over its UUID by /dev/disk/id-by-uuid/... or like that.

That will take a while to clean up.

• Offizieller Beitrag

After upgrading from 3.x over 4.x to 5.x something got lost.

Good grief! Do a clean, fresh install.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!