Could not chdir to home directory /home/username: No such file or directory

• Hello,

When I log on to OMV via command line as a user (no root permissions), I get the error message

"Could not chdir to home directory /home/username: No such file or directory"

Errr what?!? I specified a home directory in the GUI!

So why does it come up with this?

Some content might be slightly modified to mask personal settings- just to keep the sharks away, you never know :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you install on top of Debian?

When I've had this happen, I installed on Debian, and the user I created during the Debian install, would get this error, after I assigned home directories.

Usually I just delete that user that was created during setup, then recreate it (same name, etc.) with the webUI, and that resolved the problem. Unless you are in a multi user setup, everything about the user will be the same (PUID, PGID, etc.). A multi user setup, your PUID/PGID might change

• Hm, I might try to delete and re-create the user.

I have one more user and when I log on under this other user, the same issue comes up however.

Some content might be slightly modified to mask personal settings- just to keep the sharks away, you never know :)

• Ok, so I can just make up a directory and call it /home and all will be well?

In that case...nothing easier than that.

• The solution... was different than what I expected.

Since this is a terminal issue and otherwise didn’t cause any problems, I took a look into the GUI and the user setup again.

The default path for a shell login is bin/sh.

I changed it to usr/bin/bash and et voila, it works.

There’s actually no need to create a home directory as it seems.

df - h does not show any home directories for any of the users.

• NAS-i-Goreng

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • NAS-i-Goreng

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

That was actually going to be my next suggestion, but when I tested /bin/sh when you posted, I didn't get an error.... so I didn't figure that was your actual issue. /bin/bash really should be default, IMO.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!