Installing OMV on ubuntu (server)

• Just to start it off I'm your basic average windows user who has very limited debian knowledge.

I'm quite aware that OMV is written for debian and I was able to get it to work on debian. I'm trying to also use another project called PTS. That is written for ubuntu. I tried installing PTS on debian but that didn't work. So I'm trying to do the opposite and install OMV on ubuntu. Is there a chance in getting them both on the same system without having to go with the VM method?

• Agricola

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry but that is not possible. Like trying to run a diesel engine with gasoline, if you get my meaning.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• krusion the technical reason is explained here

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• @krusion would you perhaps have the technical skill required to overcome the blocking issue?

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• Offizieller Beitrag

My question is what does Ubuntu offer over Debian? Only thing I can think of (and the only thing that annoys me with Debian)... Ubuntu has hard release dates... It's releasing on x day/month/year, ready or not. Debian just seems to meander along and eventually gets released, sometime after when it was originally slated

• Offizieller Beitrag

the technical reason is explained

That is one technical reason but not the only one.

My question is what does Ubuntu offer over Debian?

Commercial support (which is very good).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Commercial support (which is very good).

True enough... I guess I just always assume people using a free project like OMV, will not be paying for support. In the commercial world where you use it, I can see this being a very big deal.

• And free LivePatching for up to 3 servers, which is a security benefit for an AlwaysOn file server

• Offizieller Beitrag

which is a security benefit for an AlwaysOn file server

It has no additional security benefit over patching and rebooting.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!