Any problem with partitioning a data disk to shrink the size of the disk?

• Hello

I have a 8TB Western Digital external USB drive. I would like to shuck this and use this as a SATA data disk in my SnapRaid array (as I know it's a white label drive).

Problem is that I would like to shrink it to 6TB so it matches my current WD blue label snapraid parity disk!

Is that possible? i.e. To set it up in OMV first then partition it so it's 6TB?

Thanks!

Will.

OMV 6. ASRock J5005-ITX, Crucial 8GB Kit (4 GB x 2) (DDR4, 2400 MT/s). Fractal Design Node 304. Crucial BX500 128 GB system drive. 4 X WD Red 6 TB. 2 X 8 TB external Western Digital Elements USB.

• Why don't you do the opposite:

Create the partition on CLI with only 6Tb and then add it to OMV?

;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Or just leave it at 8tb. If you put too much on it, then it is possible you might fill your parity disk. Or better yet, use the 8tb as your parity disk.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Why don't you do the opposite:

Create the partition on CLI with only 6Tb and then add it to OMV?

;)

thank you Soma. Makes sense... I'll do that! :)

OMV 6. ASRock J5005-ITX, Crucial 8GB Kit (4 GB x 2) (DDR4, 2400 MT/s). Fractal Design Node 304. Crucial BX500 128 GB system drive. 4 X WD Red 6 TB. 2 X 8 TB external Western Digital Elements USB.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Or just leave it at 8tb. If you put too much on it, then it is possible you might fill your parity disk. Or better yet, use the 8tb as your parity disk.

That's what I was thinking but I don't use snapraid and am not super familiar with it.. but I thought one of the advantages snapraid was being able to hodge podge drives of different sizes together?

• Offizieller Beitrag

but I thought one of the advantages snapraid was being able to hodge podge drives of different sizes together?

Yep. You should just use the largest drive of your hodge podge for the parity drive. If none of the drives are completely full, it probably won't fill the parity drive though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the suggestions. I just don't want to use my 8TB drive as the parity, as this is the nice WD white label drive (aka Red). So I want to use that as a data drive.

Then my other 6TB drive is a blue label WD drive. I want to use this as parity since I would prefer that to fail (rather than a data drive).

The rest of my WD data drives are WD Red drives.

So my best option is to partition the 8TB down to 6TB in the CLI. I then have no chance of my parity drive getting filled!

Phew! ;)

• Use the remaining 2TB for a second partition - you could use it for temporary storage, downloads, anything. It would just be a shame to waste it. 🙂

thanks - good call. I will do that. :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!