Problems with NFS after rebooting OMV5

• If I have to reboot my RPi4 with OMV5 on it, then I also have to reboot all NFS clients, otherwise NFS share becomes not accessible. Any help would be highly appreciated.

• I'd recommend a better title for the post mentioning NFS

omv 5.6.9-1 (usul) on RPi4/4GB with Kernel 5.10.17 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 6TB HDD formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• zeitalexgithub

Changed the title of the thread from “Rebooting RPi4 with OMV5” to “Problems with NFS after rebooting OMV5”.
  • I also have to reboot all NFS clients,

That would be an issue with the nfs client and the settings they are using. If the client is hard mounting an nfs share and has a timeout longer than the rpi takes to reboot, it shouldn't be transparent. Not much can be done on the OMV side to fix that.

omv 5.6.9 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.5
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• What nfs mount options would you suggest on linux client?

With Ubuntu 20.04 clients, I actually just use "defaults" since that includes rw and hard.

omv 5.6.9 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.5

• What would you suggest to avoid powering off / rebooting all clients on OMV reboot/power off?

It depends on what those clients are doing. If they have locks on files on nfs when the nfs server is rebooted, the program creating the lock may not like that. If the clients just have the shares mounted, rebooting the server shouldn't cause any problems.

• The client mounts nfs share via fstab.

Then you shouldn't have any issue when rebooting the server and not rebooting the client. I do that often. I even used to reboot my nfs server while Proxmox VMs had ISOs on it attached. Never had issues.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!