2 equal 3.0 Harddisks but diffrent speed

• Hello,

yesterday I set up a Raspberry 4B with Open Media Vault and connected a 4 TB USB 3.0 HDD (brand new) from Western Digital(HDD1). The File system is ext4. Everything works more or less good since I have a data throughput of 60 - 100 MB / sec. when copying from my laptop to the NAS which is ok for me. This morning I connected another HDD (the same model, also brand new, HDD2)). So I deleted the hdd first, then added a file system and set the user rights.... Just the way I did with HDD1. But copying on HDD2 is far slower (only 8 - 10 MB/sec) and I have no clue why.....

What I tried yet.......

I changed the ports. => HDD 2 keeps slow, HDD1 is still fast

I used a USB 3.0 Hub with an external power supply with 5V and 3A => HDD 2 keeps slow, HDD1 is still fast

I disconnected HDD1 => HDD2 is still slow

I connected both HDDs to my Laptop. => Both HDDs are recognized as USB 3.0 devices and copying is fast.

Anyone out there has an indea what I could do? I appreciate any help! :)

Best regards

Manuel

• Anyone out there has an indea what I could do? I appreciate any help! :)

Best regards

Manuel

Do not USB USB disk for a NAS, better use SATA disk

• Hey raulfg3,

what u exactly mean? Maybe it's better but 80 - 100 MB/Sec is ok for me. In addition I wanna add 4 HDD's step by step and as I saw there are SATA adapters for Raspberries (for only one HDD) but they are also connected via USB....

There must be a reason why one HDD is "slow" while the other one is "fast"........ I'm not really into Open Media Vault yet but I have technical understanding... and according to what I know that can't be the problem. But maybe u explain it.

Later that day I will delete the HDD2 again and set it up from zero. Maybe (I don't think so yet but we'll see) that will help to eradicate the problem.

Best regards

Manuel

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!