New to OMV, please comment on ARM or x86

• An ARM device will be meeting the requirements. See for benchmark results linked in my signature

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you want a 64 bit arm board with true sata, get the NanoPi M4 with a sata hat. I have a post somewhere on the forum of the setup I used for my main rig. It is now my #2 machine dedicated to backing up my x-86 server.

EDIT: I found the post and linked it to my signature. If a case is not important I think you will really like it.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Agricola ()

• Naruto, there are several possibilities for getting SATA interfaces.

My personal preference is a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 with an expansion board that exposes SATA interface or for even more flexibility the PCIe bus via PCIe or M.2 connector, so adapter cards can be used to provide currently up to 5 SATA interfaces.

A good list of such expansion boardscan be found on Jeff Geerling's Raspberry Pi PCI Express device compatibility database

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I forgot about this one. I have no experience with the Odroid HC4 but I have read a lot of good about it. Two SATA CONNECTIONS.

• I've seen many people complain about SMB performance with ARM boards.

SMB is quite heavy and can stress some weak ARM CPUs.

So if you're going to heavily use SMB, maybe you should consider a good CPU.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• Offizieller Beitrag

There's, obviously, nothing wrong with X86. In fact, when all the items to put together a SBC setup are totaled up, an old PC (free) or something from the used market may cost less.
    Some primary features are:

SBC:

- Limited boot media options. Many boot exclusively from SD-cards. (SD-cards are not ideal for boot media, but issues can be negated with backup.)

- Best used with one drive "IF" USB is on the only connection. More than one drive can be used with USB connections in non-RAID scenarios, where equal bandwidth is not required.
    - More limited selection of Dockers. (arm, armhl, arm64, etc.)
    - Fixed ram, no upgrades are possible.
    - No X86 virtualization.

- (Typically) SBC's have low power consumption. Since power consumption is a reoccurring cost which adds up over time, this factor should be considered.

AMD64 (X86):

- Almost any X86 hardware made in the last 10 years can be repurposed to be an OMV server (to include laptops). Repurposing an old workstation is, potentially, a free possibility. - 2 to 4 (or more) SATA ports are typical on most motherboards. Additional drive ports are relatively easy to add with commonly available HBA's.

- Drive bandwidth contention is not an issue so the various forms of RAID work well. (Laptops are another matter, with USB connections and 1 SATA port.)
    - Widest selection of Dockers.
    - Ram is expandable (if needed).
    - X86 virtualization is possible.
    - NIC's (10GB) and other expansion boards / options are available.

- Cases are available that can accommodate several drives.
    - Higher power consumption; when the typical X86 system is compared to the typical SBC.

In the bottom line, for most home users, a good performing SBC will do the job as a basic file server. If rapid expansion of storage or numerous server add-on's are anticipated, X86 might be a better fit.

Here's a link to the New User guide. The beginning sections may help in the decision process.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!