Shared Folder permission bug - maybe ZFS related?

• Neither could I, reminds me of the long thread where the OP had used a cheap Chinese generic sata card, in cases like this the best option is not the cheapest and a 'branded' card such as StarTech that has their own site and support is the better option.

But if this was me I'd stick with USB3 and I found this from back in 2013

Main issue there is that the OMV GUI doesn't support USB drives for ZFS. When I tried to add the pool I'd created via CLI, it actually crashed most of the server (SSH connections died, bad gateway to the UI, etc), so I had to physically reset the machine! Couldn't even find any logs to submit for a bug report... :(

• Thanks for the pointers, will have a read at lunchtime and see what I can narrow it down to! Your patience and advice is much appreciated!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Main issue there is that the OMV GUI doesn't support USB drives for ZFS

:/

When I tried to add the pool I'd created via CLI

Based upon the above 2 comments, when you attempted to create a pool via the GUI, OMV was unable to locate any usb drives

Whilst using USB drives for this is probably not recommended it should be doable but not advisable. That would leave you with sourcing a 'branded' eSata card -> StarTech

• :/

Based upon the above 2 comments, when you attempted to create a pool via the GUI, OMV was unable to locate any usb drives

Whilst using USB drives for this is probably not recommended it should be doable but not advisable. That would leave you with sourcing a 'branded' eSata card -> StarTech

Found the reference: RE: Disk not showing under RAID management tab

For £25 and next day delivery, I think it's worth a punt :)

BTW, any ideas on where to look for logs for some form of OMV crash that's not well handled by the UI? I poked around /var/log/openmediavault but couldn't find anything in there...

• Offizieller Beitrag

BTW, any ideas on where to look for logs for some form of OMV crash that's not well handled by the UI? I poked around /var/log/openmediavault but couldn't find anything in there

Might be in the sys log via the GUI, but I've never had it happen :)

• Latest update time. New adapter card arrived, but seeing the same issues, so looks like it's more than likely a fault with the box. A review from 6 years ago of the same unit model describes the same problem, but none of the recent reviews do. So perhaps just unlucky... So looks like I'm in the market for a new enclosure now :)

Thanks all for your advice here!

• 4 drive enclosures are $100 and up, USD. If you're using USB 3.0 or better (both ends), you're getting reasonable throughput and it's working well, you might consider using what you have.

I was thinking about that, but RE: Disk not showing under RAID management tab made me reconsider somewhat. This seems like one of those things where folks have very different opinions, and not having much experience in this area, not sure entirely which way to go. Will have a good sleep on it :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, I'm not a fan of traditional RAID. There are other approaches that work better, that are compatible with USB connected drives such as SNAPRAID and MergerFS. If you're doing RAID1, Rsync disk mirroring is far superior AND qualifies as Backup. (Any form of RAID is not backup.)

• peterkeyzers

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • peterkeyzers

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • I would also add that you should also set zfs set aclmode=passthrough. After I did this plus crashtest's recommendations I was able to get docker working with ZFS properly.

Code
    zfs set aclmode=passthrough

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!