OMV6 sure looks like a huge upgrade

• Offizieller Beitrag

ryecoaaron Clicking the "Open Web" button in Portainer produces <hostname>:9000 instead of <hostname>.domain:9000 or <ip address>:9000. Portainer works fine if I manually enter the address correctly.

If I knew how to port code I would love to help. If it is just a matter of search and replace (cut/paste :)) sign me up. I'm sure it's not nearly so easy.

I'm fond of the symlinks plugin, so that is where I would begin. Nice new feature in omv6 is the "copy to clipboard" button on the absolute paths of shared folders. It almost makes symlinks plugin unnecessary. I'm sorry I said that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Clicking the "Open Web" button in Portainer produces <hostname>:9000 instead of <hostname>.domain:9000 or <ip address>:9000. Portainer works fine if I manually enter the address correctly.

The code is using php's function gethostname since I can't use javascript to get the hostname anymore. I may have to execute the command hostname -f and use its output. Does hostname -f return the correct hostname on your system?

If I knew how to port code I would love to help. If it is just a matter of search and replace (cut/paste :) ) sign me up. I'm sure it's not nearly so easy.

Unfortunately, it isn't cut&paste.

I'm fond of the symlinks plugin, so that is where I would begin. Nice new feature in omv6 is the "copy to clipboard" button on the absolute paths of shared folders. It almost makes symlinks plugin unnecessary. I'm sorry I said that.

The symlinks plugin shouldn't be a problem to port since it is pretty simple.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

If it is just a matter of search and replace (cut/paste :) ) sign me up. I'm sure it's not nearly so easy.

If coding was that easy....

I was amazed at what it takes to translate a rich text formatted document, with just a few text layout and formatting features, into "markdown" or "reST" (text layouts for a wiki), so that the wiki can then translate the final result into HTML. Coding, at a guess, is a couple of magnitudes more difficult than that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does hostname -f return the correct hostname on your system?

I’m away from the house now. I’ll check when I get back.

I knew coding wasn’t cut and paste. I was just wondering what it takes for an omv5 plugin to work as an omv6 plugin. I visualize starting with lines and lines of code and reworking certain sections but not all. I know - I have a simplistic understanding.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I knew coding wasn’t cut and paste. I was just wondering what it takes for an omv5 plugin to work as an omv6 plugin. I visualize starting with lines and lines of code and reworking certain sections but not all. I know - I have a simplistic understanding.

Take a look at the minidlna plugin commit where I ported to OMV6. You will see the new yaml files that create the sections in the web interface and the old, deleted javascript files. https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…f8d7d86175d2777a153ed9a24 You should be able to tell how each field in the OMV 5 code transformed into the new code in the OMV 6 plugin.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

ryecoaaron yes it does:

wayne@omv6:/$ hostname -f

omv6.local

• Offizieller Beitrag

Heathen... :)

It actually does though (at least in regards to people struggling with the long paths for docker). It will also make it easy for users to get a path to a container folder they create (after they fill up their OS drive at least once, of course) I still prefer symlinks for docker-compose however. They are much shorter, easy to remember, etc. Creating symlinks from the command line isn't hard.. but doing so with the plugin is dead simple (and I love dead simple, so I'm glad to see it will make it's way back eventually)

• Offizieller Beitrag

So, when I try to add a shared folder, to store my containers... (I'm using the absolute path)

/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-b83f2343-f13e-4066-9f3a-55dfe8ce8f2b/Containers

Browser is running in privacy mode so it's not a cache issue.

Code
    Web port and agent port cannot be the same.

OMV\Exception: Web port and agent port cannot be the same. in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/omvextras.inc:130
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceOmvExtras->setDocker(Array, Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('setDocker', Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('OmvExtras', 'setDocker', Array, Array, 1)
    #4 {main}
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Well, for now... I've just edited the daemon.json and put the correct path in. Restarted docker a few times from both command line and the webUI, also restarted the entire virtual machine, and it seems to be holding the change (although the webUI still shows /var/lib/docker)

I suspect if an update gets pushed I'll lose this. I guess the true test will be when I start installing containers and I see where they go. :)

Code
    joe@omv6-test:~$ docker info | grep Root
     Docker Root Dir: /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-b83f2343-f13e-4066-9f3a-55dfe8ce8f2b/Containers
    joe@omv6-test:~$ 
  • ext4 is a native Linux filesystem but you can't use it in the OMV web interface without a backend. So, while an existing LUKS device with filesystem will be fine, you will have to do everything from the command line to get to that point without the LUKS plugin. So, you are correct but not mentioning all the web interface functionality you lose without the plugin (which is the point of OMV).

so its looking like i really need to wait before diving into OMV6 since i dont really want to SSH into my OMV every time i have to restart the machine, to unlock my LUKS device.

OMV: OMV 6 - Intel I7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 1600 - 31.8 TB MDADM RAID 6

Desktop:
    Win 10 Pro - AMD RYZEN 5 3600X @4.2 - 32 GB DDR 4 3600 - 4 TB NVME

Win 10 Pro - I7-4770k @ 4.3 GHz - 16 GB DDR 3 1600 Samsung 960 Evo 500 (X2) Raid-0

• Offizieller Beitrag

KM0201 heathern yourself - that’s how we say it in the south.

When I changed the docker path to /srv/absolute path/docker I got the same error when I clicked save. But I went ahead and installed docker and when finished the path was how I set it. Not sure why but I didn’t modify any files.

• Offizieller Beitrag

KM0201 heathern yourself - that’s how we say it in the south.

When I changed the docker path to /srv/absolute path/docker I got the same error when I clicked save. But I went ahead and installed docker and when finished the path was how I set it. Not sure why but I didn’t modify any files.

That's weird... I tried a dozen times and never got it to change/save... it definitely never changed (both in the GUI and when i checked it with docker info). Since I changed the daemon.json file, I've rebooted, shutdown/restart, started/restarted docker with both the GUI and command line, and for now it's holding. That is kinda surprising as I'd have thought restarting with the GUI, it would have rewrote the daemon.json file. I'm sure that if I hit the install button the webUI, it will go back to /var/lib/docker.

Other than that, it appears OK. I've installed a couple of containers, and they are all going to the location on my data drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

so its looking like i really need to wait before diving into OMV6 since i dont really want to SSH into my OMV every time i have to restart the machine, to unlock my LUKS device.

You do understand this software is very very alpha, right? If you're not prepared to report bugs, try to at least minimally troubleshoot problems, etc.. then yes, you should absolutely wait. Even then deploying it for every day use (which you seemed to imply), would be nothing short of dumb. I think most people in this thread testing it are either doing so w/ virtual machines or spare hardware.

• Offizieller Beitrag

KM0201 I stand corrected. It did revert to /var/lib/docker. I failed to check after installing docker and Portainer. Just call me a heathern.

• Offizieller Beitrag

KM0201 I stand corrected. It did revert to /var/lib/docker. I failed to check after installing docker and Portainer. Just call me a heathern.

Does docker info return your data drive for the root directory?

Code
    docker info | grep Root
    • Offizieller Beitrag

wayne@omv6:/$ docker info | grep Root

-bash: docker: command not found

• You do understand this software is very very alpha, right? If you're not prepared to report bugs, try to at least minimally troubleshoot problems, etc.. then yes, you should absolutely wait. Even then deploying it for every day use (which you seemed to imply), would be nothing short of dumb. I think most people in this thread testing it are either doing so w/ virtual machines or spare hardware.

i could actually do without the insults, but yes i realize OMV6 is in alpha, but so far its running pretty good for me in a VM.

OMV: OMV 6 - Intel I7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 1600 - 31.8 TB MDADM RAID 6

Desktop:
    Win 10 Pro - AMD RYZEN 5 3600X @4.2 - 32 GB DDR 4 3600 - 4 TB NVME

Win 10 Pro - I7-4770k @ 4.3 GHz - 16 GB DDR 3 1600 Samsung 960 Evo 500 (X2) Raid-0

• Offizieller Beitrag

i could actually do without the insults, but yes i realize OMV6 is in alpha, but so far its running pretty good for me in a VM.

That wasn't an insult at all it was the truth. Even if it is working fine now it's going to have tons of updates and things are going to break it would be absolutely crazy to try to run for everyday use

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!