Advices on migration from an old Synology Nas to OMV

• Yes, I will try for sure to port my programs in Debian :)
    Now that I know how to do it, I want try to install harbour also on my raspberry pi, after all raspbian is also a debian distribution...
    I have to admit that is very exciting :D
    Tnx!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can't imagine how long it will take to compile on the RPi... :shock: Hope it works though :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I know that is off topic... :) but I want to you know that it works great also on the raspberry pi!
    The compilation lasted several hours but in the end it worked.
    Sorry to bother you again with this, but I was wondering how to "disinstall" a .deb package ?

ps: I need to write a bash little script that execute this command:

Code
    hbmk2 foo -lhbct

where "foo" is a variable (the source program file), I know how to do it in Dos but not in linux :D

Edit:
    I want to say a big thank you to ryeco for this great gift!
    I have ported my programs in debian (OMV and Raspberry PI !!!) in 15 minutes!!! Amazing!
    I have changed only the directory names inside of the .prg (for example "C:\directory1\directory2" now is "C/directory1/directory2")

I have installed curl and lynx (a txt browser that i use to dump html pages in txt) and all works flawlessly.
    Now that I can use my beloved compiler I can automate almost everything without knowing bash, awk, vi (I hate it! :D). For me is pretty amazing !
    Thank you again!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The first command will remove a package. The second command will remove the package and settings.

apt-get remove packagename
    apt-get remove --purge packagename

The bash script is easy. What works when you type it in the command line will work in the bash file. Example file:

Bash
    #!/bin/bash
    hbmk2 foo -lhbct

To make it executable:
    chmod +x filename

Glad to hear it works on your RPi as well :)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Thanks I have just written the commands in my "hb_compiler_notes.txt" file.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, is fault of my bad english :D

What I need is this:

Bash
    #!/bin/bash
    hbmk2 _source_file_name_ -lhbct

Then I save this script, calling it compile.sh (chmod +x compile.sh)

Then I want to issue this compile command in bash promt:

Code
    #compile.sh source_name.prg

I want to use "_source_file_name_" as a argument in the command "compile.sh".

• Offizieller Beitrag

Put $1 to read the first argument, $2 for second and so on. So new file will be:

Bash
    #!/bin/bash
    hbmk2 $1 -lhbct

• Offizieller Beitrag

No problems here :)

• Ryeco is really funny, I have discovered that my harbour programs are similar to couchpotato :D
    My programs are "primitive" compared to couchpotato of course; they work only with torrents (here in Italy usenet is pratically dead)
    I didn't know this program... I have discovered it today reading the forums :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

Check out couchpotato, sabnzbd, headphones, transmissionbt, sickbeard then...

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Check out couchpotato, sabnzbd, headphones, transmissionbt, sickbeard then...

I've look at all this apps, they are great but in the end, for my personal needs are just a "overkill" (I don't know is the right expression :) )

I was wondering to "upgrade" my backup Naslite server box to an OMV box.
    Can I convert the hard drives of the Naslite box (they are full of data) from ext3 to ext4 without formatting them ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

overkill is the right expression :)

You can convert them (read) but you probably don't need to. If you still want to convert them, do it before mounting in OMV.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

overkill is the right expression :)

You can convert them (read) but you probably don't need to. If you still want to convert them, do it before mounting in OMV.

Thanks for the link, I've just read the guide, I thought it would be more complex than that.
    By the way I think you're right, I can test OMV without converting the drives.
    Just in case something goes wrong (the hardware of my old machine + OMV), I can remove from the machine the OMV OS drive and go back with the Naslite OS.
    I think I will do this way. Thanks for your advice.

• Today I had the time to test the TransmissionBT plugin.
    All very easy, just one command to issue in the CLI.

I have created 3 directories for Transmission:
    bt-down
    bt-incomplete
    bt-watch

Then as root:

Code
    chown debian-transmission:users bt-*

The speed of download is also very good. Much better than my Rasperry PI Transmission Daemon.
    I have just to integrate my programs for the torrents download ("the poor man's CouchPotato" programs... :D ) and I have almost done all my tests.

• I have converted my NasLite box to OMV using my old HDs formatted in ext3.

After configuring all the services, I have converted the drives from ext3 to ext4.
    Here the steps i made:
    -booted with PartedMagic Usb stick
    -with GParted I have relabeled the 6 drives (they was all labeled with the same text string, making impossible to understand who was who)
    -in a terminal I have issued the command (for example for sdb1):

Code
    tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/sdb1

then

Code
    e2fsck -fDC0 /dev/sdb1

Here the instructions I found

-in the terminal i have modified the /etc/fstab file (for example for sdb1):
    before
    UUID=9e243565-16cd-4a6f-bc39-33fe98d33f55 /media/9e243565-16cd-4a6f-bc39-33fe98d33f55 ext3 defaults,nofail,acl,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0 0 2
    after
    UUID=9e243565-16cd-4a6f-bc39-33fe98d33f55 /media/9e243565-16cd-4a6f-bc39-33fe98d33f55 ext4 defaults,nofail,acl,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0 0 2
    -shutdown the system
    -reboot in OMV and the drives in "Filesystem" should read now "Ext4" instead of "Ext3"

p.s.: if you modify the /etc/fstab from OMV just issue the command (only after you have modified the /etc/fstab file):

Code
    mount -a
  • Just a little guide for use of SystemRescueCD in a headless machine.
    I had problems booting the SystemRescueCD usb stick with my new OMV box because of the Uefi bios, so I thought that this can help someone else in the same condition.
    -install SystemRescueCD on a usb stick as explained here
    -in the usb stick just installed go in the directory \boot\grub\
    -in this subdirectory should be this file: grub-410.cfg (the number can change depending on the version of SystemRescueCD)
    -edit this file, and replace all the strings "/isolinux/" with "/syslinux/"
    -to configure the ssh server and the vnc server change one line in this way:
    from this:

Code
    menuentry "SystemRescueCd (64bit, default boot options)" {
    	set gfxpayload=keep
    	linux	/syslinux/rescue64
    	initrd	/syslinux/initram.igz

to this:

Code
    menuentry "SystemRescueCd (64bit, default boot options)" {
    	set gfxpayload=keep
    	linux	/syslinux/rescue64 setkmap=it rootpass=yourpass vncserver=1:yourpass
    	initrd	/syslinux/initram.igz

important!: the password of the vncserver must be of 6 to 8 characters
    I have setup the keyboard keymap to italian keyboard (setkmap=it), you can use your own keymap changing the "it" to your keymap code.

now you can access to the headless machine via ssh, and via vncviewer.
    for the ssh connect to (for example) 192.168.1.10:22
    for the vncviewer connect to the machine ip address port 5901, for example: 192.168.1.10:5901

here a couple of links with more infos:
    http://www.sysresccd.org/news/…t-options-with-042-beta8/
    http://www.sysresccd.org/news/…remotely-with-vnc-server/

• I have to tell it to somebody.
    Tomorrow my new drives will be delivered to me, and today my old Synology nas (after 5 years 24/7 always up) died on me...
    Yes, I have "almost" a full backup, but a lot of data is not backed up.
    The PSU died or the nas mobo. Naturally the psu is not replaceable (impossible to find here in Italy), I have found 1 (one!) possible psu replacement on ebay usa, but the price is insane.
    Even with this bad luck, thanks to my "research" in the past months, here in the OMV forum and in the XPEnology forum I was able to recover the 4 drives raid 5 with a XPEnology "experimental" version boot usb stick.
    Tomorrow as soon as the drives arrive I will backup all the data on my new OMV box and I will NEVER AGAIN install a raid5 configuration. I will always use a single drives configuration (with snapraid and aufs), and if something will blow up (mobo, psu, drives, cpu, nic or whatever) I will be able to simple plug the drives in a new, simple, standard pc, install OMV and start work again in no time.
    Lesson learned.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use raid 10 for my important servers. Wastes more space but doesn't seem to have as many issues as raid 5. Although, I have good luck with raid 5 as well.

• On my Synology nas it wasn't exactly a raid 5, it was a Hybrid raid http://forum.synology.com/wiki…s_Synology_Hybrid_RAID%3F
    To recover my data my only hope was to install the drives in another synology nas, or using a pricey recovery software.
    Luckily my XPEnology "trick" worked, and now i can recover all the data.
    I will never use again a proprietary raid or similar software.
    From SnapRaid site: It doesn't lock-in your data. You can stop using SnapRAID at any time without the need to reformat or move data.
    Now I have understood that for my everyday use this feature is essential. A really big thank you to OMV team and to Andrea Mazzoleni, the author of SnapRaid :D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!