How to shift OMV from direct install to Proxmox?

• Hi,

I recently repurposed an x86 desktop into an omv server. It's my 1st time with omv and docker, but through trial and error I've managed to get jbod, smb, sonarr,radarr, qbit and jellyfin all working. I have installed this directly onto a 256gb ssd, and I have 2 separate data drives.

Now I am thinking I should have windows on the desktop as well, if the rare need arises. Is there an easy way to shift the entire omv setup (with docker and all) into proxmox?

Edit: Just to clarify, I will format the ssd, install proxmox. Then makes VMs for OMV and windows.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there an easy way to shift the entire omv setup (with docker and all) into proxmox?

Instead of shifting to proxmox, why not install the kvm plugin and just have VMs on OMV? New openmediavault-kvm plugin

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was advised that running omv inside a VM would make it easier to shift, incase of h/w failure

I would say you got bad advice. If the hardware fails, you could just move the OS disk to new hardware, boot, and fix the network adapter settings with omv-firstaid.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Ohh. I will read up about this. I am completely new to linux, omv, docker, virtual machines etc. All I know is that I don't want to lose the data I have on my drives!

• Offizieller Beitrag

All I know is that I don't want to lose the data I have on my drives!

Backup is essential then.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!