¿PowerEdge R7515 Boot Drive Options?

• I have a PowerEdge R7515 to build out.

Current plan is to run it with OVM as the primary OS.

My R7515 has twelve hot swappable front loading 3.5 inch hard drive bays; backplane for these drives are controlled with the installed HBA330 12Gbps SAS HBA Controller (NON-RAID), Minicard.

What are my options for a boot devise?

SSD in HotSwap tray?

USB on motherboard?

PCIe card with some kind of SSD?

Smarter/Simpler idea I don't yet have?

Enlighten me.

Thanks

Retiring OMV 4.x on intel
    Building OMV 5.x on AMD based Dell R5715

• You could probably us a small SSD in a USB enclosure. This is what I use (16GB).

Since it's external it's easily swappable. Since it's USB it doesn't waste a drive bay. Faster than a USB thumb drive, but to me this does not matter.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 5.x on Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 16GB ECC RAM.

• ssd in the hotswap tray would be easiest.

there should be a couple of sata ports on the motherboard typically used for things like a dvd drive.

you could put an nvme adapter pci-e card in if you have the riser.

Otherwise, usb works well.

omv 5.6.13 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.6
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hand-in-hand with this topic: What is best practice with FlashMemory Plugin?
    I recall some sort of clean-up script that is used with it; anyone what to try to refresh my IRL memory?
    I probably will not need /swap as I have plenty of RAM, but I may be intrested in using a very fast M.2 NVMe for swap. Should I?

Retiring OMV 4.x on intel
    Building OMV 5.x on AMD based Dell R5715

• What is best practice with FlashMemory Plugin?

Install it. I use it for all media that has limited writes including nvme. Disabling swap is optional.

I recall some sort of clean-up script that is used with it; anyone what to try to refresh my IRL memory?

Cleanup script?? Not sure what you are remembering.

I probably will not need /swap as I have plenty of RAM, but I may be intrested in using a very fast M.2 NVMe for swap. Should I?

If you have plenty of ram, you don't need swap. I definitely wouldn't waste an nvme stick on swap. Buy more ram if you are swapping.

omv 5.6.13 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.6
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!