Shared Folders permission issues

• Hi team,

I recently installed OMV 6 on an HP Proliant G7 ML110. I attempted this last year with OMV 5 but had so many issues, I gave up on it (well, I didn't have time really).

Have come across an issue regarding sharing permissions which I'm unable to make much sense of it, even when following different how-to videos and documentation:

To get me started, I'm trying to get a public folder to be accessible on the network (testing with W10): on the Web GUI, Under Storage>>Shared Folders, when I opt for Everyone: read/write and save it (as well as saving the configuation changes) it reverts back to Administrator: read/wite, Users: read/write, Others: read-only.

Any ideas?

Secondly, I'm promped with login credentials but unfortunalty it won't accept the password. I have set a new user under User Management>>Users. Still, it dosn't like it.

Any help would be appreciated it.

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    1. You do realize that OMV6 is not intended for general use at this time. An alpha release means it is being debugged and is not reliable for general use. You are better off going back to OMV5 if you want a production ready server without bugs.
    2. To be able to view shares on your PC you need to create SMB shares of your Shared Folders. Look under Services for the SMB/CIFS tab.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Offizieller Beitrag

Secondly, I'm promped with login credentials but unfortunalty it won't accept the password. I have set a new user under User Management>>Users. Still, it dosn't like it.

The default credentials for the GUI are admin/openmediavault.

The user "admin" is the default user to use the GUI. Stick with it.

You should really use OMV5 at the moment to avoid frustration.

• Offizieller Beitrag

To get me started, I'm trying to get a public folder to be accessible on the network (testing with W10): on the Web GUI, Under Storage>>Shared Folders, when I opt for Everyone: read/write and save it (as well as saving the configuation changes) it reverts back to Administrator: read/wite, Users: read/write, Others: read-only.

This was a bug in a previous version, the field shouldn't be visible in Edit mode of the shared folder. You need to use the ACL dialog to modify the permissions afterwards.

• Hello,

trying to understand permissions and ACL.

Test environment: OVM 6 and CIFS

For now I've figured just this.

When Shared directory is created then it uses ACL.

If then for any reason you set permissions with Privileges then Privileges settings overrides ACL.

Then you cannot use ACL anymore.

Example 1.

user "test" is in group "testgroup" and user "test2" in in group "testgroup2".

None of these users have access to the Shared folder because Privileges restricting access.

Folders are accessible if Privileges set to rw.

But then if everything is Read/Write in Privileges but ACL restricts for user "test2" access to folder then ACL overrides Privileges for that user.

So user "test" has access but user "test2" does not have access to Shared folder.

I plan to move from old Ubuntu 12.04 HW server with 70 users and 14 Shared folder with different permissions to OMV VM but Privileges and ACLs are nightmare for me :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!