Need help to upgrade old NAS. Lots of questions.

• Hello guys.

I hope some of you can help me. First of all, I must say that I am not in the computer science field. As an old biologist, learning new computer tricks has been painful. Furthermore, I must say that living in Brazil, buying equipment abroad is neither easy nor cheap.

In the past years, I have accumulated a considerable amount of many kinds of data. Some of this data is very important to me (and/or relatives). For keeping these files, I bought over time two (now very old and obsolete) discrete NAS: the first a Vantec NexStar FX, and the second a D-Link DNS 320L. Back in that time, the performance of these two NAS was fine for my use. Sometime later I begun to use one or another as media server. When I moved from Windows XP to Windows 7, I learned about the lack of security related to these devices, for they are bound to use SMB1. For keeping them running in my home network, I had to enforce unsecure bypasses in all the windows machines I had or have since then. In other Operational Systems I used, I was always able to overcome the SMB1 issue by using system specific resources (as in Volumio) or by editing the client’s smb.conf.

As a management strategy I started to use the NexStar FX with a 2TB disc to keep my backups and the DNS 320L with 2 4TB discs in RAID 1 to keep my other data and to act as a media server. I even tried to use Plex in it, but it became sluggish and unresponsive. During a small period, it also acted as a storage for a D-Link surveillance camera, but not anymore, since the camera fried out. As a media server, it was accessed by a bunch of different clients: 2 smart TV sets, at least 2 Windows PCs, one Raspberry Pi 3B running Openelec, 2 Raspberry Pi A+ running Volumio, 2 music headless Debian PCs, and some Android devices running BubblePnP.

But in the beginning of 2021, while trying to replace Volumio with a Debian distro in one of the RPi A+, I discovered that I was unable to access the samba shares in my NAS. I put this project aside thinking it was due an overlooked configuration. Sometime after, while resurrecting an old Asus EeePC netbook with Manjaro, I also could not connect to my samba shares. I should have noticed earlier that my two headless audio PCs were locked out from the NAS too, but with my kids homeschooling due the COVID-19 pandemic, I was not using them as usual. After poking their smb.conf for some time I was able to see the music files but not read them, getting an annoying permission warning. Even now, I do not know what is happening, but I suppose the Linux machines upgraded to a smb version that prevents the use of the SMB1. This, adding to the lack of security of the SMB1, the proliferation of ransomware attacks and recent news of data loss by discrete NAS (as occurred with Western Digital devices) motivated me to upgrade my NAS solution to a more modern one.

At first, I was hoping to get another discrete NAS, such as Asustor, Qnap or Synology. But they are not under the reach of my budget. I then wondered if I could turn an old PC in a NAS, but I doubt the ones I have laying idle are capable of an adequate performance. So I bought a

cheap Celeron mini-ITX embedded motherborad, a small NVME drive to run the OS, and intend to use an 8GB DDR4 RAM that I already have around, and use the stripped HDDs from the DNS 320L in raid 1.

The first question is will this configuration be enough for audio and video streaming? Second, with the onboard SATA controller, will I be able to set up a raid 1 array? Third, do I need to add an offboard controler, since the card I bought has a 1X PCI-e slot? If positive, wich chipset? I found a lot of Chia mining dedicated stuff online, and I am not shure how to look for this card.

I have a lot of questions regarding the instalation process too. For example, what version of OMV should I use? What is the most recent stable version? Can I build the sytem without the HDDs and add them latter? Can I just unplug them from the actual D-Link NAS and hook in the new OMV and the data will be there?

Best regards!

• Did you find OMV's documentation on https://openmediavault.readthe…x/installation/index.html already?

Most questions regarding installation and stable version should be answered there.

Can I build the sytem without the HDDs and add them latter?

yes

Can I just unplug them from the actual D-Link NAS and hook in the new OMV and the data will be there?

1. use the forum search if that has come up before, but I'd assume its unlikely
    2. try it, is the best advice

with the onboard SATA controller, will I be able to set up a raid 1 array?

RAID1 is not a backup, with constrained budget and to protect against ransomware, its better to invest in "backup" than in "availability" (a RAID gives)

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• Thank you, mi-hol, for the help.

Did you find OMV's documentation on https://openmediavault.readthe…x/installation/index.html already?

Most questions regarding installation and stable version should be answered there.

No. I will read this right away.

use the forum search if that has come up before, but I'd assume its unlikely
    try it, is the best advice

I'd rather not play around with this data. Some of it don't have a backup copy yet.

RAID1 is not a backup, with constrained budget and to protect against ransomware, its better to invest in "backup" than in "availability" (a RAID gives)

I understand that. Should I use a JBOD array, doubling the space and keep the important stuff in a external drive backup?

Best regards.

• I'd rather not play around with this data.

you wrote: " DNS 320L with 2 4TB discs in RAID 1", just take one of the 2 disks, what other benefit has the RAID1 otherwise?

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• it would only make sense the other way round 4GB active storage, 8GB backup for multiple generations

• Offizieller Beitrag

The easiest way to copy your data, with less chance of losing it, would be to buy a 4TB for OMV and use Rsync + Remote Mount to copy data, over the network, from the existing NAS to OMV. Steps for doing that can be found here -> Install Remote Mount + Create a backup server.

The lowest cost route might mean repurposing your backup external 4TB drive as a data drive for OMV. But, until the initial copy is complete, that would leave you without backup. (Risky)

I understand that. Should I use a JBOD array, doubling the space and keep the important stuff in a external drive backup?

I would. If you want the functional equivalent of RAID1; Rsync will mirror your data drive AND function as a backup that's easy to restore.
    How to do that is covered -> here.

• gEToMc6XbrNkErRSpmCfdj_oPkp2LIeVZQUMbLMXBGBBNc5hCfaEbWkPH3Xghz-iqpnFf_pyKcqi_cfxoM2T1DRoC2z0OYe9-XDyNXg-It9GNGjgn62TUwOBI8O9io0Mz4x00e5ADWRX4LZwTWDiKSQ33ie-saEYs_Of9Gu_SSBIBxmzc5hnQ5MqZNDgCutz7BtIFqapjKqutjrR0ePymGXbfntQO7ubmjRbjkqW2TAzK1eU4r6QjzTAb8Ok6mIAY3OjH_mSMi-iHa_7EGKY1TVAXnfjIf1tAHWZ_sXx9dR_OcNB_zt1o87E-r0b-fr090nesbUY5MvhSX-Ese2k8Ihkkxp50Nl2YA6INqUJE9LFDRjgpbZZ0yi4GS3bNxTJQF4iPO-5jfXKIYIqdcmrBbJvfPT7Nfcf4nbmY0b_CXnuquJ84FftUitWxJ4j-bH6KCTtgmOAl-V3elAZSTsdfwa1Y3QGSZUUZjAD4oq05eHfircOoifvDFPFJfsx89ALuJQlFoIFx8LYVKnc6MN-5xbLCzNj1N0kcUaeDfR7iGczqtOrpo3R6HDwHtdtbwwQYJ23pVBTzouB2v4Iygd1BamNlEKWY87j4Sqd1HIcJDeqm5N4Qmc8NL70-GJ-MLo0nDXTqaOa3XBOr_brNtO_u4PNazmCjULKwLX5DEH-ptRO0SSEmnNQfVvkVP5DQ1lQ9OgjUybRoIDgHqPtgYxcCVdq=w1239-h928-no?authuser=0

Early this week I received the NVME SSD, and today I received the motherboard. The memory I didn't had to bought since I already got a brand new 8GB DDR4. So I in the verge of build this server. However, I do still have a thing to clarify: how difficult is, in the future, to add a SATA controller card? Will such upgrade force me to rebuild the system from scratch? Shoul I get a SATA controler prior to the OMV installation, even without a storage upgrade in the horizon?

Best regards.

• A little development:

I had an awful incompatibility problem with this particular HyperX memory and this motherboard. The motherboard accepts this manufacturer memory, but the model I had is not listed within their qualified vendor list. So, I swapped it with one from a Dell laptop.

AM-JKLXTBEEq7jIPQ-AFge_kQlzglAu4jdh0JD-WzxENrBNN_7eQHWyfFPpObBZXkg3TaPNBm31kwhEkaxcCkeoy6hrZmlhJl6h58rG5d2Qq71ju8Ak8ZFlgBSvOaHdO7oYaKXsAB9jgrTm9jBuNV-5xcFMd=w672-h897-no?authuser=0

Another problem I had is that the old PSU I used needs a dummy load to remain powered on. The motherboard has such an option, but it failed several times during the installation process. Initially I thought it was the NVMe overheating, what made me add a tiny air blower over it. With the persisting crashes, I figured the cause and hooked two old SATA drives in the PSU and completed the OMV installation without additional issues.

AM-JKLVY7tGIpjtENMAorRpE8FkWImc81Qv3yDZTwwlap2p45DaqNz2RR8cTHf05R3LiWIvqddW0WSA18UnWib8T9jDKvzlZpNEUyi1X3MOyRar8toJoz7i3lGyM3LFUlSuv1NJ4h5HoBBFhj_DbUtGA_fM8=w1027-h716-no?authuser=0

Next steps will be finding a case suitable for this setup and add the definitive HDD. I still don’t know if I must add a SATA controller board right now or just when needed.

Best regards.

• Today I got my hands dirty:

I needed a small case to host the OMV. I was looking for a NAS case, with hot swap bays, but I can’t afford their shipping price at the moment (well, I can afford, but I do not agree to pay twice the case price for its shipping).

AM-JKLXVGCzK6hObuQ1XGRBCz5aWQusVulByyf1anRb1vyGoyFQgrUAZEZuqMAECdyaJDzDHHxKQEk4WsW4ogO6MuB6CyBTKSay5SniOJU1JYMjG1rYAxg-JK_Yg4DFXunK68kqaNSRrxUuDNHgW3cI6-txc=w1199-h897-no?authuser=0

The available space is not this big, but it can accommodate 3 x 3.5" HDD, and at least another one can be placed with little modification. A full modular PSU would be better, but I already have this one is (quite silent), so I will be using it.

AM-JKLUO13T7jEh9fF9XdAwS0MQ5LgDzG7PK1mxo-o1e5aNOhLp0Fq-0DWtNcu--tT_-y91-kO6C_Vs4IOW6WdsBOzlUobm5qOfV6ZptHofxQO_aXmIjoLTkd_92fxzKVo8tlXCxZWVxUmYxYObhwxbR2uzr=w1199-h897-no?authuser=0

This case has a lot of cable binding loops, so cable management is not easier for lack of room.

AM-JKLWjBOwsMbtqn-_4WhzovyByhzvIc2iyVnI-ez5JXrWFsUUrny1_E_Pry0g38J4MKWSCVWK8vVKwZ_2yiOe60Zgb5a9TgVAQECL-bbjaOQaXlXdk1En32QzU94Hw_b0AonDh8WCWdPUZJdY672bCvemA=w1196-h898-no?authuser=0

I plugged in the old HDDs used as dummy load for tests. The other NAS is still running, and I didn't finish the backup, so the 4TB HDDs are not available yet.

AM-JKLXAhEittH3D8DsrHewjf9LVEiiIuIhMpQkwdLs3u41wBKt080xlBNT3OjoG3hCZM96uYFxevL9VuqmuIXZnATvC5egelb9u-xHubeggz_ZO0Uf-CAhvxbby1jE7qHSGiii16h9x9bNmwuqnsW2xuae-=w1199-h897-no?authuser=0

Its running. So far, so good.

AM-JKLW13DiaZHI8pDslmGTA_y31Iwn1HWBLiQaNtW4b5YT4zL3bx5XPPCq_NFfOGusNitUM2aTppcELSkoE0E5X2LV0EbMdDCbukxCynQdK6xIgfKXHPJiGriW5kPxMLtFB72Nh4LbiOxr9Rwbqnf8ghF5R=w1199-h897-no?authuser=0

Best regards.

• Well, things aren’t going this fine. As I wrote before, I plugged two old drives in the OMV for testing purposes. I mounted one of them, created an user account and was able to see the share, copy and paste files, and navigate through the folders tree as expected. But trouble begun when I decided to wipe the disc clean. The server begun to ask me to apply a configuration change, and when I clicked the apply button, I get a very long error message.

AM-JKLXurcMqMno_DLlBQ6JQCrBIK8G2jiRV9WbUb_qQ_ICkLuf1sj5c0OZPFzZw6ngZa8Dl15PCGw8JnYvfmsOrYyc--7RVwk--zyBUWxH9nVt9djR6llmVLPmMTDh3LxXnW2a3fcXTmvnqvPlLq2cGyG9G=w859-h535-no?authuser=0

AM-JKLWI9ZtMEOZrd3qEBn8jOF4StcAtJ9Mf9_ozKmcy0ZQxjiVwOvfJ9P3xWeOTXvKAdvf3Xbjc1FrnaPdAj-3VQIt9zkSbcMw-KsFBJgYuYrlcUTU3sFqXyJd7FxfoTRXaiXQa4wODSy0CsG2b73TFAYXH=w842-h630-no?authuser=0

In addition, I realized that I am unable to unmount the disc, getting a similar error message when trying. Also, one of the listed filesystems appear as missing (in red).

AM-JKLWSihmFEvssvk5GVKi7LOQeO4siSKRk4Cr3jMSUfzlRe7q0oHvqnBt6zGziVFcj8B_gM_8Pr7gGS0MjmbvASVMD0OF8GFudeKYqU7E4dn2u0bH4CaFLDUGPvStlsWZyWosPnXxCGIUSSQoRrJGl7cl9=w1080-h402-no?authuser=0

AM-JKLVD3-wHTNi07nzCs6A9uBq515L_WaSaUpLi-FzF--9k4IEMW-ZBOJO03fYPLs2cdOxP5AfirdD0E5MD7mKuujABdQxE0uHmpF_30G1MfV6uppWV9ELZzoQtTFUwDtaWWH44pAFznZZ8UvxeYEQa0Quf=w1286-h641-no?authuser=0

I do appreciate any clue on how to proceed to solve these issues. Should I connect to the root account via terminal and unmount the drives there? Should I delete the missing filesystem?

Best regards.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Weird.. the very end of your screenshot it tells you to reference a man page (then it cuts off)...

If it were me, I'd try booting a Live CD, and use Gparted to format the disk blank, and then try using it with OMV. I assume you're going to use a linux file system and not ntfs?

• Weird.. the very end of your screenshot it tells you to reference a man page (then it cuts off)...

If it were me, I'd try booting a Live CD, and use Gparted to format the disk blank, and then try using it with OMV. I assume you're going to use a linux file system and not ntfs?

Tank you for the help. I will try to format the disc this way, then. I am planing to use ext4.

And about the missing disc? May I delete /dev/disc/by-uuid/620A85350A85076F?

Best regards.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Tank you for the help. I will try to format the disc this way, then. I am planing to use ext4.

And about the missing disc? May I delete /dev/disc/by-uuid/620A85350A85076F?

Best regards.

You should be able to delete it since it's not mounted.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I cannot delete it via webgui. The delete button dont even activates. May I connect via ssh with the root account and try to delete the file in the listed path?

Best regards.

You shouldn't need to do that and I probably wouldn't... Not really sure where to go from memory (I'm at work).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!