Need help to upgrade old NAS. Lots of questions.

• I found a thread sugesting that removing the filesystem mntent entry from /etc/openmediavault/config.xml should help. However, some other issues may occur, so I guess I will toy a little with this server and then start a clean install when adding the two 4TB drives.

Best regards.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's the problem. Wipe and format your new disks (preferably using EXT4) in OMV's GUI.

Mounting disks with an NTFS format, created by a Windows box, is a foreign volume. This can (and often does) result in permissions issues.

• That's the problem. Wipe and format your new disks (preferably using EXT4) in OMV's GUI.

Mounting disks with an NTFS format, created by a Windows box, is a foreign volume. This can (and often does) result in permissions issues.

It is what I have already done. This lead to the missing file system issue. But, since I intend to start over, I am not concerned about it.

Best regards.

• Well, I am poking all around this new server, and doing a lot of experimentation. However, I couldn't find a way to it behave like my old NAS. The old one only shows the shares which a user is allowed to use, hiding the others. The OMV shows all shares, denying access to the ones a user doesn't has permissions. Is there a way to simulate the behavior of my old NAS?

Best regards.

• Also, today I received a SATA controller card. It's a cheap one, with just two additional ports. As the box doesn't hold more than four 3.5" disks, it's enough for my use.

AM-JKLWUbVNTV7d8fen_YKKpDIt-omPdHmpytsnpC30_OntzWWB_CHXIXnd2azeZyowgwvsez4EhM4PF4SnmUuJKej6drtCAu50dQwhFpiOh6RobUYJzXpfnYN4dFEeKzGXssPe5xVTJe2KNfvRn1dGi4RsR=w1199-h897-no?authuser=0

A positive side-effect: the position of the port will allow the use of the 90° angled SATA cable that came with the motherboard.

AM-JKLXWWHfGrTssTQoo7gQ1fMNCmhizGyvVoH_INj0f83o4WlKWc_OqrOusqXQU-PlaXpTVQWmuPKjmr7PVijYFTaciZ_FTAj5FDxbGrN-G8z90ME1RhSKLAv3CxIKBM5QXdQLhAFIp4V3QGPQ3WS-0_lID=w1199-h897-no?authuser=0

Now I have to build a cradle to store two additional units, where the case only holds one. I must find an easy-to-cut dielectric material for this, or 3D-print a plastic one.

Best regards.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your motherboard:
    Have you checked BIOS for power saving or sleep features? Also, you might check for a BIOS feature that can power down peripherals, like your network card.

A test might be to connect a mouse or a keyboard. If the PC stops responding, type on the keyboard or giggle the mouse to see if it wakes up.

• Your motherboard:
    Have you checked BIOS for power saving or sleep features? Also, you might check for a BIOS feature that can power down peripherals, like your network card.

A test might be to connect a mouse or a keyboard. If the PC stops responding, type on the keyboard or giggle the mouse to see if it wakes up.

It was the first thing that occured to me. I have already tryed to plug a mouse and a keyboard to wake the motherboard, but had no success. And I disabled everything related to suspension and energy saving that I found in the BIOS .

Best regards.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The first thing I would do is look at logs:

In the GUI look under Diagnostics, System Logs, syslog.
    On the CLI type dmesg and scroll through.

If nothing is found in a log search; the issue is either hardware or software. (It's one or the other.)

I'd hook up a keyboard and monitor, to see if something is going on with network connectivity.
    If the PC becomes unresponsive with a keyboard and monitor, I would try unplugging the SATA card. See if that changes anything.

Then, since a rebuild is easy and it's reasonably quick and free, I'd give that a try.
    I would consider rebuilding on a USB thumbdrive (16GB or a bit larger) especially if you have one laying around. That eliminates the NVME SSD. (I admit that's a long shot but the more items eliminated the better.)

Beyond the above, you could try an LIVE CD (or USB) distro like KNOPPIX to see if the same thing happens.

• I will try these approaches, but it might take some time as I am overloaded with work this week. As soon I discover something, I will post it here.

Best regards.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you checked the SMART stat's for the drive? You'd have to activate SMART under Storage, SMART, Devices, EDIT. Then click on the device, and Information, and the Attributes tab. Compare what you find with explanations -> here.

Or you can do smartctl -a /dev/sd? on the CLI. (Replace ? with the letter for the NVME)

This is speculation but, I'm guessing that something is wrong with the NVME drive or, perhaps, the NVME interface on the motherboard. I doubt you'll be able to fix it with a reformat, but I can't say that for sure. Reformatting is another long shot but you almost have to try it. I would physically remove and reinstall the NVME drive before doing the reformat / rebuild. (It might not be seated in the socket perfectly.)

If the behavior repeats:

Could I talk you into using a thumbdrive as a boot drive? They're inexpensive, easy to backup and they work fine. Info on that is -> here and -> here.
    (I believe the user guide is available in your language.)

• I left SMART disabled for the NVMe drive. I will activate it. But a smartctl returned the following:

smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [x86_64-linux-5.10.0-0.bpo.8-amd64] (local build)

Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, http://www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===

Model Number: Netac NVMe SSD 128GB

Serial Number: AA000014534000002051

Firmware Version: T1202A0

PCI Vendor/Subsystem ID: 0x126f

IEEE OUI Identifier: 0x000001

Controller ID: 1

Number of Namespaces: 1

Namespace 1 Size/Capacity: 128.035.676.160 [128 GB]

Namespace 1 Formatted LBA Size: 512

Namespace 1 IEEE EUI-64: 000001 0000000000

Local Time is: Tue Aug 10 11:29:44 2021 -03

Firmware Updates (0x12): 1 Slot, no Reset required

Optional Admin Commands (0x0007): Security Format Frmw_DL

Optional NVM Commands (0x0015): Comp DS_Mngmt Sav/Sel_Feat

Maximum Data Transfer Size: 64 Pages

Warning Comp. Temp. Threshold: 83 Celsius

Critical Comp. Temp. Threshold: 85 Celsius

Supported Power States

St Op Max Active Idle RL RT WL WT Ent_Lat Ex_Lat

0 + 9.00W - - 0 0 0 0 0 0

Supported LBA Sizes (NSID 0x1)

Id Fmt Data Metadt Rel_Perf

0 + 512 0 0

=== START OF SMART DATA SECTION ===

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

SMART/Health Information (NVMe Log 0x02, NSID 0xffffffff)

Critical Warning: 0x00

Temperature: 40 Celsius

Available Spare: 100%

Available Spare Threshold: 10%

Percentage Used: 0%

Data Units Read: 23.393 [11,9 GB]

Data Units Written: 34.440 [17,6 GB]

Host Read Commands: 290.739

Host Write Commands: 248.708

Controller Busy Time: 15

Power Cycles: 94

Power On Hours: 10

Unsafe Shutdowns: 83

Media and Data Integrity Errors: 0

Error Information Log Entries: 0

Warning Comp. Temperature Time: 0

Critical Comp. Temperature Time: 0

Error Information (NVMe Log 0x01, max 64 entries)

No Errors Logged

Best regards.

• Performing the test in the webGUI, I got similar, but not exact results:

smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [x86_64-linux-5.10.0-0.bpo.8-amd64] (local build)

Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, http://www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===

Model Number: Netac NVMe SSD 128GB

Serial Number: AA000014534000002051

Firmware Version: T1202A0

PCI Vendor/Subsystem ID: 0x126f

IEEE OUI Identifier: 0x000001

Controller ID: 1

Number of Namespaces: 1

Namespace 1 Size/Capacity: 128,035,676,160 [128 GB]

Namespace 1 Formatted LBA Size: 512

Namespace 1 IEEE EUI-64: 000001 0000000000

Local Time is: Tue Aug 10 11:41:47 2021 -03

Firmware Updates (0x12): 1 Slot, no Reset required

Optional Admin Commands (0x0007): Security Format Frmw_DL

Optional NVM Commands (0x0015): Comp DS_Mngmt Sav/Sel_Feat

Maximum Data Transfer Size: 64 Pages

Warning Comp. Temp. Threshold: 83 Celsius

Critical Comp. Temp. Threshold: 85 Celsius

Supported Power States

St Op Max Active Idle RL RT WL WT Ent_Lat Ex_Lat

0 + 9.00W - - 0 0 0 0 0 0

Supported LBA Sizes (NSID 0x1)

Id Fmt Data Metadt Rel_Perf

0 + 512 0 0

=== START OF SMART DATA SECTION ===

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

SMART/Health Information (NVMe Log 0x02, NSID 0x1)

Critical Warning: 0x00

Temperature: 40 Celsius

Available Spare: 100%

Available Spare Threshold: 10%

Percentage Used: 0%

Data Units Read: 23,404 [11.9 GB]

Data Units Written: 34,449 [17.6 GB]

Host Read Commands: 290,946

Host Write Commands: 249,187

Controller Busy Time: 15

Power Cycles: 94

Power On Hours: 10

Unsafe Shutdowns: 83

Media and Data Integrity Errors: 0

Error Information Log Entries: 0

Warning Comp. Temperature Time: 0

Critical Comp. Temperature Time: 0

Read Error Information Log failed: NVMe Status 0x02

I left the above sentence in bold. It seems smartctl is experiencing dificulties in access the NVMe error log. Also, within webGUI, in Storage > SMART > Devices, the /dev/nvme0 status is shown as unknown.

Best regards.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Also, within webGUI, in Storage > SMART > Devices, the /dev/nvme0 status is shown as unknown.

Still, given the screen messages, something appears to be wrong with the NVME or it's something else, potentially related to the motherboard.

I think a reformat / rebuild is in your future. If you don't want to reformat the NVME, as the first action., you can unplug it and set if off to the side and rebuild on a 16GB to 32GB thumbdrive. They're reasonable priced these days. Get a SanDisk or Samsung if you can. If using a thumbdrive for a boot drive, don't forget to install the Flashmemory plugin.

Instructions for building on a thumbdrive that is found -> here. Installing the Flashmemory plugin is found -> here.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!