Raspberry Pi + IcyBox Standby????

• I have a Raspberry Pi 3b running openmediavault,

an Icy Box IB-RD3621U3 with 2 x 2TB hdds is attached to the raspberry.

usually when the Icy Box is connected to a PC and the PC goes into standby,

then the icy box goes into standby, too (+ the fan goes out)

How do I manage the icy box connected to the raspberry

send to standby after a while without access?

Unfortunately the raspberry pi does not support "wake on lan", or am I wrong?

otherwise I could do an autoshutdown and wake him up again with wakeonlan.

can someone help how I can still send my icy box to standby?

• How do I manage the icy box connected to the raspberry

send to standby after a while without access?

On OMV Gui, goto "Storage-->>Disk" and "Storage-->>SMART" and set them as this:

Do this for both of the disks on the ICYBOX.

Just take in consideration that, if there's any access to either disk, they will take some time (not much) to spinup.

Also, you might think the standby is not working, but, if there's any access to the disks, it will always going up and down.

Unfortunately the raspberry pi does not support "wake on lan", or am I wrong?

otherwise I could do an autoshutdown and wake him up again with wakeonlan.

You can use a RTC HAT for the Pi, but with such a low energy consumption, is it worth it?

Your call, ;)

Raspberry Pi Power + RTC HAT | The Pi Hut

• My IcyBox IB-RD3662-C31 required installation of hd-idle to suspend discs.

There is a guide in the dedicated forum section.

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• My IcyBox IB-RD3662-C31 required installation of hd-idle to suspend discs.

There is a guide in the dedicated forum section.

OK, I installed HD-idle and set the spindown time to 20min - but the hdds doesn't go in spindown mode

I tried a spindown time from 3min, and yes, at the beginning after a restart the hdds goes into the spindown mode, but after a time they came back to spin up and now they doesn't come back to the spindown mode.

when I bring the hdds manually to spindown with hd-idle - t /dev/sda the hdd goes to spindown mode, but after a few minutes they come back...

does something else access the hard drive?

how can I check what can still be accessed?

smart is off...

or why the hdds go into spindown at the beginning but later after some access to the hdd they stay up and never come back to spindown?

• In this forum hd-idle troubleshooting has been discussed before. Did you use "search"?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• In this forum hd-idle troubleshooting has been discussed before. Did you use "search"?

yes i used the search function, but i haven't found a solution here.

but i resolved the problem by myself:

the problem was apparently SMART after all, even though it was switched off in the GUI!

(even if iotop didn't look like the hdd was being accessed [nothing was shown!])

solution:

systemctl disable smartd

systemctl mask smartd

systemctl disable smartmontools

systemctl mask smartmontools

these 4 commands helped to switch off SMART permanently. after that my hard drives stay in spindown :)

thanks for your help

• d1qqn

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Hey there,

Question : Did you use the buld-in RAID mode from your IcyBox or did you use the "software Raid mode" from OpenMediaVault ?

Ty.

Ice.

OMV does not support software raid over USB. So if you're intending to RAID these disks.. you'll have to do it with the onboard on the enclosure.

• OMV does not support software raid over USB. So if you're intending to RAID these disks.. you'll have to do it with the onboard on the enclosure.

It doesn't support but still possible (see below).

The "unsupported reason" is more due to the USB portable drives (or connected with adapters):

If power fails, or the cord comes out, etc, while writing, corruption will happen.

It's so unreliable that is better to not support it.

Hey there,

Question : Did you use the buld-in RAID mode from your IcyBox or did you use the "software Raid mode" from OpenMediaVault ?

Ty.

Ice.

Using the box hardware RAID will give you a possible (bad ) issue:

In case the hardware fails, only with an exact same box (or same controller) will give you a chance of recovering the RAID.

I opt for using the box as JBOD (the 2 disks are seen seperate) and made a software BTRFS RAID 1 (via CLI, not on OMV) so I could have automatic snapshots.

This way, even if the hardware fails, I can always plug the drives on a completely new rig (either another JBOD box with different controller or just sata to USB adapters) and recover it.

• OK thanks for your help.
    Other question :

My Icy Box led is blinking continuously like if it is reading/accessing a file.

I'm not sure but I think it began when I tried to configure hd-idle (by the way, still not working for me, even when I followed the guides in the dedicated forum sections ...)

Do I have do worry about that blinking led ? It's strange isn't it ?

I wanted to purge hd-idle but I'm not sure I deleted everything, can you help for that ?

I didn't installed OMW yet, I wanted to configure hd-idle before.

I'm on Raspberry OS.

Thanks for your help.

• Sorry but I don't use hd-idle (the ASMedia controller on the Icybox does all the work).

As to uninstall it, maybe 2 solutions:

1 -

If you're still starting to configure everything (nothing important is running):

Re-start and flash the img again:

Buster lite for OMV5 (version arm64)

Bullseye lite for OMV6 (version arm64)

Then, follow the guide, Install Guide for OMV5 on SBC

2 -

sudo apt remove hd-idle (is this the name of it???)

sudo apt purge --auto-remove hd-idle

Don't know if it will leave some leftovers, hence it is best to go with #1

My Icybox also acted as you say, when I started using it due to too much access to the disks for no (apparent) reason.

After trial and error, I set it as per macom instructions (don't remember where)

The "Standby" mode is very important, otherwise your disks will be spinup to make the SMART checks everytime.

Also, the disks only hold DATA.

The docker configs/volumes, etc live in a different disk (ssd).

This way, the Icybox only spins up when it is really needed (when doing a backup to it, accessing DATA on the drives, either to read or write, etc)

If by "Raspberry OS", you mean Desktop, then I don't know if the above will behave the same. (don't use it, don't want/need it)

• Just scrolled up to see this:

So, you disable the SMART tools and all is good???

What happens when your disks start to fail?

How will you know or check it?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!