HDD device naming

• Hi togehter,

can anybody explain me who the naming is done for the hdd/ssds?

I got some wd drives and some toshiba drives.

My os ssd (WD) is connected to Sata port 1 and if there is only the wd is connected it is getting /dev/sda

But if there is a toshiba connected the WD ist getting /dev/sdb and the toshiba sda.

I was thinking that this naming is done by the Sata port numbering and not according the device manufacturer.

Cheers Robert

OMV 5.x always up to date.
    Modded dell t20 into 19" rack case with Pearl LCD Display (Status Display!)

xeon e3-1225v3 / 32GB RAM / 1x500GB WD Blue SSD (OS) / 1x250 SSD (not used) / 1x1 TB Toshiba HHD (MultiDisk) / 4x 4TB WD40EFRX (Raid5)

• no_Legend

Added the Label OMV 5.x
  • No, the kernel names the devices based on a ruleset. And because of this behaviour predictable device names HAVE to be used for filesystems (which is done by OMV), because you can never be sure that /dev/sda1 will not become /dev/sdb1 when another disk is detected.

• No, the kernel names the devices based on a ruleset. And because of this behaviour predictable device names HAVE to be used for filesystems (which is done by OMV), because you can never be sure that /dev/sda1 will not become /dev/sdb1 when another disk is detected.

Hi, thanks a lot for the explanation

Okay habs verstanden, Dank dir.

Cheers Robert

OMV 5.x always up to date.
    Modded dell t20 into 19" rack case with Pearl LCD Display (Status Display!)

xeon e3-1225v3 / 32GB RAM / 1x500GB WD Blue SSD (OS) / 1x250 SSD (not used) / 1x1 TB Toshiba HHD (MultiDisk) / 4x 4TB WD40EFRX (Raid5)

• macom

Added the Label resolved

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!