OMV5 & Nextcloud PHP versions

• Hey Folks,

Just need a little clarity here please. I'm a little out of the loop...it's been a while8o... Does docker use the host PHP support for images or do developers usually build PHP into their images as needed?... My Nextcloud image says nextcloud is not compatible with PHP 7.3 and I'm wondering if OMV is the problem and not the docker image?

What PHP version does OMV 5 support?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does docker use the host PHP support for images

No.

do developers usually build PHP into their images as needed?

There are lots of images out there for php already.

My Nextcloud image says nextcloud is not compatible with PHP 7.3

You need a different image then. The image should have the correct version of php in it.

I'm wondering if OMV is the problem and not the docker image?

OMV has nothing to do with what is inside the image.

What PHP version does OMV 5 support?

OMV 5.x and Debian 10 Buster use php 7.3 that are in the Debian repos.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Wow, very informative response. Thanks man.
    I hade initially thought the same thing. I was right, everything is in the image. Thanks for the clarity.
    Now I know where to start...The docker image:thumbup:
    It's been a great reliable image for years. I thought I'd updated Nextcloud to far cause it requires PHP 7.4 not 7.3.
    I'll look into it. Thanks again:)

• Latest docker image of Linux server/nextcloud, has PHP 7.4.21 (updated 2 days ago)

It runs on 7.4 since Jan/16 (release 20.0.5-ls113)

Maybe you haven't updated in a long time.

Linuxserver even have a "test image" running on PHP 8.

Just for testing, don't use it on your Good server.

• Thanks Soma.

You're right, It has been a while since I updated the image. About two days go I decided to update it. Like you said, they updated it about 2 days ago too. So just to make sure I pulled the latest update again and it's still the same. My only quick fix for now is to turn off the version checking.

I may have to make a new new Nextcloud container. I assume the database and external data files would all still be compatible with the new Nextcloud?

• I may have to make a new new Nextcloud container. I assume the database and external data files would all still be compatible with the new Nextcloud?

As long as you point your folders to the same place, yes.

But it's not only a matter of updating the image, you also need to update Nextcloud on the webupdater (or with the "occ" command).

Only issue you might have is if you're running mariaDB on armhf.

It will mess your DB since NC v21 doesn't work with mariaBionic (which is (still) used on the armhf version).

Before anything, make BACKUPS of the DB and containers configs.

To keep it simple:

What hardware are you using?

How do you launch your stack? Portainer? Docker-compose CLI? (post your YML with masked sensible info: PW, URLs, etc)

What versions of NC, mariaDB, swag/let'sencrypt are you running?

• What version shows on the Nextcloud page "settings/admin/overview"?

The latest is running on v21.0.3 (and soon to become v22):

The way to upload Nextcloud (on docker) is to first redploy the stack (updating the image) and then update Nextcloud via the webpage.

Your mariaDB also needs to be updated.

But first make sure you have a working backup of all, in case it goes sideways, ;)

• Yeah silly me, I thought nextcloud would updated with the image. I'm only running NC 17.0.10.

So are you saying I should update the mariaDB docker image first or the database itself?
    Or should I do the web updater as usual then follow the database update instructions?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm using Potrainer (OMV-Extras). It just a pc server:/

My images

linuxserver/mariadb:latest

linuxserver/nextcloud:latest

I never updated Nextcloud itself. I thought updating the image would do it automatically. So now I'm running the latest image you think I should update Nextcloud?

If you use Watchtower it will keep them up to date automatically. 17 is extremely old however.. you might be SOL and need to do a clean install of the containers

• Watchtower sounds great, I've never heard of it. I'll look into it thanks. Though I'm not sure updating my containers is the problem. It's the content inside the containers that hasn't updated. It seems I still have to manually update nextcloud as its not automatically updated as I previously thought.

I have everything backed up ready to go. I have used the NC web updater before, however I haven't used it with docker.
    My concern is the mariaDB container and if I need to update it first, or will I do that after NC updates the database?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Watchtower sounds great, I've never heard of it. I'll look into it thanks. Though I'm not sure updating my containers is the problem. It's the content inside the containers that hasn't updated. It seems I still have to manually update nextcloud as its not automatically updated as I previously thought.

I have everything backed up ready to go. I have used the NC web updater before, however I haven't used it with docker.
    My concern is the mariaDB container and if I need to update it first, or will I do that after NC updates the database?

Watchtower will (should) pull the new images, and incorporate them into your current install.

I'd make sure anything important there is backed up outside of the database before doing anything, so at least if you do end up rebuilding, you won't lose anything (but you should be doing that anyway)

RE: Watchtower - Clean up

• Yeah I've already updated the Nexcloud image and it didn't update nexcloud. As Soma posted earlier, I need to still update nextcloud itself after updating the image. I just don't know now if I should update mariaDB image before I start the NC updater. I don't wanna break it before i even begin...lol

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yeah I've already updated the Nexcloud image and it didn't update nexcloud. As Soma posted earlier, I need to still update nextcloud itself after updating the image. I just don't know now if I should update mariaDB image before I start the NC updater. I don't wanna break it before i even begin...lol

If you look at that link I posted I posted my log to show how this gets handled. I don't *THINK* it really matters. The database docker and nextcloud docker are completely separate (they're essentially two separate OS's, unless you've done some custom setup where you are running both in the same container..)

I posted my log in that thread to give an example how it works... I'd just let watchtower handle it. If it works, great. If it doesn't... time to reinstall as you're using an EOL version.

• If you already have backups, and repeloyed the stack, updating the images (both NC and DB) then they are already on latest versions.

You can run the WebUpdater on NC webGUI to update to latest version.

But to be sure of this, just check on Portainer, what versions you have of the images:

On Portainer, go to "Containers" and click on the DB (in my case is mariadb):

Then scroll down thill you see the version of it (your's might show different since I'm using the "alpine" version so it won't clash with armhf on RPis)
    As you said, you're on PC so assuming x86_x64 version:

Post here what version are you on.

If it's already on latest version, then you only need to update the NC, ;)

• I'm not really keen on reinstalling everything if I can avoid it. It's a big job...lol

I know absolutely nothing about watchtower or how it works. I'll have to learn about it first:/
    I'm not sure I like the idea of automatically updating things. If something goes wrong during updates I'd be kicking my self ..lol

Updates are the most annoying thing. Doesn't matter what applications you're into. Updates always leave you with complications. ..lol

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not really keen on reinstalling everything if I can avoid it. It's a big job...lol

I know absolutely nothing about watchtower or how it works. I'll have to learn about it first:/
    I'm not sure I like the idea of automatically updating things. If something goes wrong during updates I'd be kicking my self ..lol

Updates are the most annoying thing. Doesn't matter what applications you're into. Updates always leave you with complications. ..lol

You don't have to reinstall everything, just the nextcloud and mariadb containers.

Auto updating is way smarter than what you're doing now, which is basically using an insecure EOL version.

I've updated all of my containers automatically with watchtower for at least 3yrs, and it's caused a problem exactly once. Even then, it wasn't really a major problem that 20min of Googling didn't fix (it was really more a PIA update that caused the issue, but it caused a couple of containers to not work properly because I had to manually make some changes to them)

• You don't have to reinstall everything, just the nextcloud and mariadb containers.

Auto updating is way smarter than what you're doing now, which is basically using an insecure EOL version.

I've updated all of my containers automatically with watchtower for at least 3yrs, and it's caused a problem exactly once. Even then, it wasn't really a major problem that 20min of Googling didn't fix (it was really more a PIA update that caused the issue, but it caused a couple of containers to not work properly because I had to manually make some changes to them)

My mariaDB & nextcloud conatiners are both updated on the latest images. Nextcloud still says Version 17 :/

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!