Help me to restore fstab!

• So, by following something I found on google I've been an idiot and I deleted the fstab file and now OMV doesn't work anymore.

I can ssh as root with Mobaxterm and I can see, download and delete files, but not write them. I have a backup of fstab on my PC so I tried to recreate it by pasting the content with nano but it doesn't let me save the file, it says the file system is read-only. Can you help me please?

• The owner of the fstab is root. This is done to protect the system from the user. Please show

Code
    ls -la /etc/fstab

On my Raspi:

Code
    pi@OMV:~ $ ls -ls /etc/fstab
    4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1017 Apr 14 12:44 /etc/fstab

Please use the following command to modify the fstab

Code
    sudo nano /etc/fstab
    • Offizieller Beitrag

The root filesystem might be mounted readonly. What is the output of:

grep -w '/' /proc/mounts

sudo blkid

Also, what kind of system is it?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• grep -w '/' /proc/mounts

/dev/sda1 / ext4 ro,relatime 0 0

sudo blkid

/dev/sdb2: LABEL="4TB-RED" UUID="E2B231A8B2318259" TYPE="ntfs" PARTLABEL="Basic data partition" PARTUUID="3d98e3be-7531-4d39-bc7b-31120d3bd80a"

/dev/sdd1: LABEL="Hyperspin" UUID="4669EB487C759C7E" TYPE="ntfs" PTTYPE="atari" PARTUUID="51b0c3b1-01"

/dev/sdc1: LABEL="DISCO2TB" UUID="72121D05121CD049" TYPE="ntfs" PTTYPE="atari" PARTUUID="bf248bf0-01"

/dev/sda1: UUID="1c48cbf7-d6b6-41d1-824e-772ee739d0b5" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="9237b448-01"

/dev/sda5: UUID="1c877eba-fb34-4fd9-9d76-8aafef0c340a" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="9237b448-05"

/dev/sdb1: PARTLABEL="Microsoft reserved partition" PARTUUID="fe8361eb-6ed8-4039-8d82-3399e138e704"

It's an Intel Atom board with OMV 5.x installed on a dedicated SSD, and it also has a PCI expansion card with some SATA ports. Hard disks are connected at random between the 2 sata on board ports and the PCI ones.

P.S. the filesystem is, in fact mounted read-only, it says it so when I try to write files with nano (although it lets me delete files, for some reason).

• The owner of the fstab is root. This is done to protect the system from the user. Please show

Code
    ls -la /etc/fstab

On my Raspi:

Code
    pi@OMV:~ $ ls -ls /etc/fstab
    4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1017 Apr 14 12:44 /etc/fstab

Please use the following command to modify the fstab

Code
    sudo nano /etc/fstab

I deleted fstab, so I cannot ls it, and I already tried the nano route, it doesn't let me save the output because it says that the filesystem is read-only (even though it's strange that a "read-only" filesystem lets you delete files).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since it is mounted readonly, we will have to fix that.

sudo mount -o remount,rw /

then (I used the partuuids from your output above):

echo "proc /proc proc defaults 0 0" | sudo tee /etc/fstab

echo "PARTUUID=9237b448-01 /boot vfat defaults 0 2" | sudo tee -a /etc/fstab

echo "PARTUUID=9237b448-05 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1 | sudo tee -a /etc/fstab

Then if you had any OMV mounted data disks

sudo omv-salt deploy run fstab

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Now it doesn't even ssh, it says "connection refused". I'm afraid I'll have to reinstall it from scratch (now that I think about it, maybe I should have copied back my backup of fstab as soon as I mounted the filesystem as writable).

the output of your last command was:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Now it doesn't even ssh, it says "connection refused

Did you plug a monitor in to see if there is a message on the screen? Rebuilding fstab failed because it couldn't find a drive that you have listed in your database. - dev/disk/by-label/DATI500

• Did you plug a monitor in to see if there is a message on the screen? Rebuilding fstab failed because it couldn't find a drive that you have listed in your database. - dev/disk/by-label/DATI500

I had disconnacted that drive before the fstab mess, but I can reconnect it.

When I boot the system I get this on screen: you are in emergency mode, give root password for maintenance.

The problem is that after I input the password I always get an "incorrect login" message.

The root password is the password I use to log in to OMV's web interface, right?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The root password is the password I use to log in to OMV's web interface, right

No. omv web interface password is for the admin user. root is separate.

When I boot the system I get this on screen: you are in emergency mode, give root password for maintenance.

That is possibly happening because the drive is missing.

• Tanosuke Hata

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!