Upgrade from old OMV (2.2.14) to recent OMV (5 or 6 after release)

• I have a very old OMV 2.2.14 as media server running on a HP N54L with 6GB Ram. I think its time to bring it up to date ;)

There is a quite full SW Raid 5 (4x3TB hdd) and one single 3TB hdd attached, this data i would like to keep. The other settings (shares, plugins, ...) i dont care, i can reconfigure.

Whats the best way to do this?

Thanks!

P.S. i did google, but a jump over so many releases there is no much content

Tom

----

HP N54L, 6GB, 5disc Raid5, SSD Boot with OMV 5
    HP N54L, 16GB, 4disc ZFS pool, SSD Boot with other NAS system

• In case you wanna use OMV6, wait some months until it is released. If you wanna update right now, use OMV5 as it is the current stable release.

However, I would do the following steps:

1. Setup a virtual omv on your pc just to get familiar with it. Test things that you gonna need. Solve any problems prior to doing anything on your NAS.

2. BACKUP ALL DATA

3. Disconnect data drives

4. Swipe system drive and install new omv

5. Reconnect data drives

6. Configure ..

• The big question is just if a new OMV install will recognize my raid properly or if i have to save some configuration to reimport.
    Didnt do much with Linux sw raids since ages ;)

Tom

----

• THATs the question ;) I assume its mdadm cause /dev/md0, but i dont know what OMV2 was using. And im not a debian guy, just linux (centos) .. but i played around with the linux software raid many years ago ;)

Tom

----

• Yes, its mdadm:

mdadm -D /dev/md0

/dev/md0:

Version : 1.2

Creation Time : Sat May 9 17:59:00 2015

Raid Level : raid5

Array Size : 8790405120 (8383.18 GiB 9001.37 GB)

Used Dev Size : 2930135040 (2794.39 GiB 3000.46 GB)

Raid Devices : 4

Total Devices : 4

Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Thu Jul 15 20:10:47 2021

State : clean

Active Devices : 4

Working Devices : 4

Failed Devices : 0

Spare Devices : 0

Layout : left-symmetric

Chunk Size : 512K

Name : media:internal (local to host media)

UUID : 136b5531:301567d0:434e2c9c:c0fd06f2

Events : 1591

Number Major Minor RaidDevice State

0 8 0 0 active sync /dev/sda

1 8 16 1 active sync /dev/sdb

2 8 32 2 active sync /dev/sdc

3 8 48 3 active sync /dev/sdd

Tom

----

• So i have mdadm.conf with the settings ... import wise how is this handled by V 5?

Tom

----

• Offizieller Beitrag

So i have mdadm.conf with the settings ... import wise how is this handled by V 5

You cannot import any settings or files into a new deployment, the norm is to take screen shots of shares, users etc, there is a thread on the forum upgrading from 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5. However, this was created by a user and is not officially supported.

do you think a newly setup omv would automatically detect the raid

Technically yes, but there have been instances where this has not worked for users moving from 3 -> 4, I upgraded from 3 -> 4 without issue, but I was also changing hardware, and the errors seen elsewhere were attributed to the kernel.

tom_tav I have exactly the same hardware albeit I run ZFS with 4GB of Ram and not 16 :) I also run mine on a 32Gb USB flash drive, bit of an overkill as it only uses around 6GB + makes it easier for cloning backups.

Simplest way to test OMV5 is to run it on a USB flash drive, disconnect all your drives, install, boot and configure OMV5 on a flash drive, once it's all up to date then connect the raid drives. BUT, whilst I suggest this, I would not proceed without a backup, which reading between the lines you don't have :)

• there is a thread on the forum upgrading from 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5. However, this was created by a user

the user Dleidert is a debian development contributor and gave advise on certain topics even to OMV developer.

I'd use his excelent scripts for upgrading

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• I have exactly the same hardware albeit I run ZFS with 4GB of Ram and not 16 :) I also run mine on a 32Gb USB flash drive, bit of an overkill as it only uses around 6GB + makes it easier for cloning backups.

Oh yes, i forgot the 16GB ram is on my 40TB raid machine. With the smaller raid it should be ok with my 6GB Ram, youre right.

So how is ZFS on OMV now? Back then it was so fuzzy (aka not implemented fully) that i changed my bigger raid to another distribution. Is ZFS support fully integrated in the frontend now?

Tom

----

• BUT, whilst I suggest this, I would not proceed without a backup, which reading between the lines you don't have :)

I will do a rsync backup to a external 8TB drive, im mad but not crazy ;)

Tom

----

• Offizieller Beitrag

So how is ZFS on OMV now

I'll tag crashtest on this as he's helped me understand it, although I had previously used Freenas which is now Xigmanas, but to me like most of OMV it just works, the great thing about it is the GUI, beats the hell out of using the cli. Mine is used for Movies, TV Shows, Photos and some file storage, particularly for the wife as she's a teacher. The backup drive is also used for UrBackup of the Windows machines, which, thanks to another mod macom runs directly on OMV rather than a docker (works better).

My N54L has 6 drives, 4 in the ZFS pool, a big drive for back up, and a small laptop drive for docker and docker containers, the containers are all deployed using stacks, so for that I just keep a copy of the stack should I need to redeploy. All I then have to do is to change any bind mounts within the stack before deploying.

OMV runs on a flash drive from the internal usb port, basically all this is doing is booting OMV, because I do a monthly clone I rotate the flash drives, which also leaves me something to fall back on should something go wrong. That's why I suggested using a flash drive for OMV5 then connect your raid, if it doesn't pick up the raid signatures and start the raid you've lost nothing, reboot with your current drive and reevaluate.

Did you flash your N54's with the modded bios or is it HP's stock

I will do a rsync backup to a external 8TB drive, im mad but not crazy

:thumbup: that's a good plan :)

Oh FYI when I moved from V4 to V5 I did a clean install, took me less than a day to set it up and get all the data on.

• Offizieller Beitrag

On OMV4 and 5 ZFS works well. The plugin allows OMV shares to be mounted on ZFS filesystems and subfolders. It also allows for the creation of additional VDEV's, which allows for the expansion of an array. More than one array is supported as well. Most pool and filesystem options are editable in the GUI and there's a provision for manual SNAPSHOTs. (Personally, I prefer automated SNAPSHOTs as setup according to this -> document. Automated SNAPSHOTs are viewable in the GUI.)

Finally, there's an automated scrub, VIA a cron job setup by the plugin, that runs every two weeks by default.

In summary, I don't know how other distro's support ZFS but, for the average user and admin, ZFS support on OMV isn't lacking anything substantial.

EDIT: On one machine, I've been running a 4TB pool on weak hardware (an ATOM CPU) and 4GB ram with no issues whatsoever.

• Perfect, thanks a lot. I will dive into it further.

geaves yes i have the modded bios on the machines, at least the one that was available when i did set up the machines (around or before 2015).

On my bigger nas i use the xigma as well (with zfs), and im quite happy with it

Tom

----

• Ok, did a look into dleiderts scripts. I think it doesnt make any sense for me to start the journey 2-3-4-5, more easy to just start from scratch and reimport my raid. I did modify my OMV back in the days (newer netatalk and other hacks) so update desaster would be around the corner ;)

For others, this is the post from dleidert:

Upgrade Scripts for non-interactive major release upgrades (2->3, 3->4, 4->5)

I will do the backup, setup a new OMV and see if and how it works. Then i can decide if i keep OMV on this machine or if i use xigma as well. In the beginning i liked OMV cause of the use of plex/sickbeard and co which i dont use anymore.

Main reason which drove me away back then (at least on my big nas) was the lacking support of ZFS and some outdated packages (especially netatalk and samba). On the other hand, xigma became more and more commercial after the name change, i prefer clean open source. And finally, im firm with Linux but not with FreeBSD, another point for OMV.
    I think i will try a USB boot for OMV, and use the little SSD as Cache for ZFS. Lets see...

Tom

----

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tom_tav ()

• FOLLOW UP:

Install was super easy. Installed OMV5 on a (temporary) harddrive. It did recognize my Raid correctly, i just had to mount it.

geaves

How can i identify my Bios if its the modded one. Afair there was some improvement with the SATA stuff.

Tom

----

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tom_tav ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!