CANNOT GET USB BACKUP TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

• OMV is exremely frustrating.

I have been running an OMV 4-Raspberry Pi system for years with USB Backup, with no problems except for not getting rsynch to work.

Three backup drives, all NTFS formatted, and mounted.

I am trying to setup a new OMV 6 system, on a PC rather than a Pi. This is after not being able to solve problems with OMV 5-Pi installation.

I want to see if upgrading OMV will let me schedule USB Backups, instead of running them manually.

After getting a working shared folder available on the network, I'm having nothing but trouble getting USB Backup to run. I copied the setup of file systems (NTFS formatted drives, mounted) from the working OMV 4 system. Tried using different drives and flash drives. All are failing upon clicking "Run." Went from "uuid" problems to another cryptic red-box error that is all gibberish to me.

Is there anyone out there who can give detailed instructions on how to ensure the function of USB Backup?

To head-off the mention, no I will not use RAID. I have to be able to take one of the backup drives and read it in Windows should the main storage drive fail. Learned by trial and error on the old OMV 4 system that this does not happen. This is why my backup drives are NTFS instead of ext4.

HELP!!!!!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Oh my. There is so much in your post:

1. OMV 6 is still in alpha release; not ready for prime time. You are better off moving up to OMV 5.
    2. NTFS is not a native Linux file system, so it tends to have issues with OMV.
    3. ?

I have to be able to take one of the backup drives and read it in Windows should the main storage drive fail.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. I don’t mean to insult but it sounds like you are trying to use a wrench like a screwdriver.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is after not being able to solve problems with OMV 5-Pi installation

Link to the thread?

And why the new thread about usb backup? You were getting help in the other one.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Mr. Agricola and others:

1. Where does it say that OMV 6 is in Alpha? I went to the OMV homepage, clicked "Downloads", and the resulting list offers 5 and 6, with no mention of this.

2. I learned in starting out with version 4 that the main STORAGE DRIVE needs to be ext4, but backup drives can be NTFS (or other). This came from OMV, not my imagination. That is how OMV 4 has been working fine for me for years.

3. What is confusing in my reason not to use RAID? All that I am saying came from OMV, and researching why I could not retrieve data from a RAID drive when connecting it to a Linux or Windows computer.

Isn't the point of having backup drives that they can be accessed to get the data on them outside the OMV system? If the only way to access the data on a backup drive is by connecting it to a Linux machine, it would be of little use, as I am not a Linux user. This has not been a concern with my OMV 4 use.

I will try Version 5 on the PC.

• KM0201

Hat das Label OMV 6.x (alpha) hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Mr. Agricola and others:

2. I learned in starting out with version 4 that the main STORAGE DRIVE needs to be ext4, but backup drives can be NTFS (or other). This came from OMV, not my imagination. That is how OMV 4 has been working fine for me for years.

Unfortunately everywhere but where you download the ISO (note your thread state that I just changed).

• Offizieller Beitrag

3. What is confusing in my reason not to use RAID?

I agree with you on RAID. That is not what confuses me. What I didn’t understand was:

I have to be able to take one of the backup drives and read it in Windows should the main storage drive fail.

Do you mean the main storage drive of your Windows machine? If that’s how you use a server, why don’t you just plug in a backup drive and schedule regular backups with some backup software from the Windows machine?

My main server IS the main storage in my home network. I keep very little media/docs on my desktop, laptop, and mobile devices. The server “serves” all my other devices on the network. It is not a backup.

If the only way to access the data on a backup drive is by connecting it to a Linux machine, it would be of little use, as I am not a Linux user.

You ARE a Linux user if you are running OMV. That is what I meant by NTFS is not a native Linux file system. NTFS can have issues with OMV because OMV is built upon Debian Linux.

Here’s a little guide that may help with EXT4 file systems and permissions if you are having trouble accessing from a Windows machine.

• I went to the OMV homepage, clicked "Downloads", and the resulting list offers 5 and 6, with no mention of this.

Thanks for bringing this issue up, it was corrected in https://github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/issues/1067 yesterday

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Thank all of you who responded to my original post.

After a COMPLETE read of the OMV setup and new user guides, I realize the error of my ways.

I discovered in the User Guides that OMV does not even recommend USB Backup for doing a straight storage backup but to use rsync, I then saw that OMV says NOT TO use the Rsync Service., but to use Scheduled Jobs-Rsync.

I am right now doing my first test of an rsync job from Scheduled Jobs-rsync (on my OMV4-Raspberry Pi server:, using the

rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Fileserver2TB/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-GLYPH3-1TB

command format also found in the User Guide. It looks to be working.

This leaves me with a question: WHY is there an Rsync SERVICE if OMV recommends not using it?

I still intend to build an OMV server (on a PC, not a Pi) to replace the OMV 4 system. I am having myriad problems just getting OMV 5 to install properly and be configured....bad initial installs, errors in saving changes, etc. That will be another post.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I then saw that OMV says NOT TO use the Rsync Service., but to use Scheduled Jobs-Rsync.

Where is that said? I can only imagine it is related to rsyncing a complete filesystem. Howevever, even that is possible.

I use the rsync jobs a lot for shared folders. Others do as well.

I discovered in the User Guides that OMV does not even recommend USB Backup for doing a straight storage backup but to use rsync,

The USB backup plugin uses rsync as well.

The purpose of the USB backup plugin in is to perform a backup of shared folders, as soon as the USB drive is being plugged in. After the backup has completed the USB drive is unmounted and can be detached (and stored it in a safe place as part of your backup strategy).

• Offizieller Beitrag

This leaves me with a question: WHY is there an Rsync SERVICE if OMV recommends not using it?

Where have you ever seen this? As said above, I've used rsync for years from the webUI.

You seem to have two threads running on this issue... I replied to your other one w/ an example of how to set up the rsync job w/ the GUI.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!