Install OMV4 on NanoPI M4

• It's got nothing to do with leading somewhere productive.. it's when you post an opinion as if it is 100% fact. You're clearly set in your mindset, having a productive discussion is impossible from the start.

If you'd take a few hours and sit down and learn docker rather than just saying it is a "huge step backward", you'd find it is WAY easier to setup and maintain services on your server with docker. I'm glad OMV has moved away from plugins in favor of docker.

If I wanted to learn about docker and other nifty linux stuff, I would not use OMV. I would just use barebone armbian and set up the NAS myself using CLI, no GUI needed.

BUT: I'm using OMV and I actually thought the purpose of OMV is, to make it easier for users to set up a NAS with a lot of nice functionality - without having to be an IT expert.

OMV used to be a lot better than Synaptics or QNAP (I tried both before). But IMHO, that does not hold true anymore - OMV5 strips so much functionality that other NAS solutions are now better. Sorry to say that ...

If you want OMV to be an IT-expert-only system: job well done. But in case OMV actually targets non-IT end users, you should re-think the current strategy ...

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I wanted to learn about docker and other nifty linux stuff, I would not use OMV. I would just use barebone armbian and set up the NAS myself using CLI, no GUI needed.

There are at least two GUI for docker: Portainer and Yacht. Both can be installed from omv-extras. With docker you get hundreds of "plug-ins" for all sort of use cases you might not even think about, yet. Browse thru one of the template collections for docker. Or have a look here at the images listed in the left column: https://docs.linuxserver.io/

• Offizieller Beitrag

BUT: I'm using OMV and I actually thought the purpose of OMV is, to make it easier for users to set up a NAS with a lot of nice functionality - without having to be an IT expert.

OMV used to be a lot better than Synaptics or QNAP (I tried both before). But IMHO, that does not hold true anymore - OMV5 strips so much functionality that other NAS solutions are now better. Sorry to say that ...

If you want OMV to be an IT-expert-only system: job well done. But in case OMV actually targets non-IT end users, you should re-think the current strategy ...

LOL... As I said, this is so laughable it is tough to respond. As already stated if you don't fell comfortable in command line, docker has one of several GUI's that make it easier to manage. OMV is still great for newbs for setting up a server for things like user/file system management, setting up certain services (ie, SMB/NFS, etc.). These are all things that are much easier with OMV for a newb, vs a barebone install.

OMV 5 did not strip any functionality, it's just some things were removed, and it was recommended that users use something else (ie, Plex plugin vs Plex in docker). That isn't losing functionality, that is evolving. Most of the time this was recommended because docker was better anyway. The plex plugin (for example) was a constant problem to keep maintained.

• LOL... As I said, this is so laughable it is tough to respond. As already stated if you don't fell comfortable in command line, docker has one of several GUI's that make it easier to manage. OMV is still great for newbs for setting up a server for things like user/file system management, setting up certain services (ie, SMB/NFS, etc.). These are all things that are much easier with OMV for a newb, vs a barebone install.

OMV 5 did not strip any functionality, it's just some things were removed, and it was recommended that users use something else (ie, Plex plugin vs Plex in docker). That isn't losing functionality, that is evolving. Most of the time this was recommended because docker was better anyway. The plex plugin (for example) was a constant problem to keep maintained.

Hm, sad to see that mods here are laughing at their own users. You're right: having a productive discussion is impossible from the start because you're clearly set in your mindset (your words) :)

And what's even worse, a discussion is "laughable" for you ... that's not a good discussion, that is just disrespect.

So, as I said: ryecoaaron Let's close the tread - nothing good will come out of it anymore - except mods insulting their own users ...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hm, sad to see that mods here are laughing at their own users. You're right: having a productive discussion is impossible from the start because you're clearly set in your mindset (your words) :)

And what's even worse, a discussion is "laughable" for you ... that's not a good discussion, that is just disrespect.

So, as I said: ryecoaaron Let's close the tread - nothing good will come out of it anymore - except mods insulting their own users ...

Well grow up. I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing at your argument, as it is ridiculous, and you still can't articulate what functionality was lost, vs being advised to use something else.

Nobody insulted you, I pointed out the obvious.

Your wish is my command.

• KM0201

Hat das Thema geschlossen.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I'm sorry if you think I was insulting you. I may not agree with your thoughts but I was not insulting you. I was laughing at the concept of people helping with plugins because people have ignored my pleas for years.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!