Install OMV4 on NanoPI M4

• Up to last week, my NanoPI M4 running OMV4 worked like a charm - then the SD card gave out.

Now, I had to find out, that the OMV4-images I used for installation are no longer available. All my plugins are no longer available in OMV5, so installing OMV5 is not an option either (I do not want to become a linux guru and get into docker stuff or whatever).

Bottom line question: How can I re-install OMV4 to my NanoPI M4?

• Offizieller Beitrag

All my plugins are no longer available in OMV5, so installing OMV5 is not an option

What plugins?

I do not want to become a linux guru and get into docker stuff or whatever)

You can't stay on OMV 4.x forever. It is EOL'd already. You don't have to be a Linux guru to use docker (docker works on windows too). There are lots of guides out there.

How can I re-install OMV4 to my NanoPI M4?

If you can find an armbian debian 9 image (I think armbian pulled those too), you could follow an old guide to reinstall OMV 4. I pulled support from the install script a long time ago to install omv 4 on debian 9 images. You could use an old version of the install script but that is all the help I am going to give. I really don't think you should be installing an unsupported EOL'd version.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

fail2ban is an OMV 5.x plugin.

letsencrypt is a terrible plugin. docker is soooo much better.

transmission and jdownloader belong in docker.

nginx is easy to run in docker as well.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I read up on docker and tried it out a bit: Docker sucks so bad, it is so unintuitive.

Why do I have to put up now with directory and port mappings? I only want to install transmission, not a virtual machine. And worst of all, directory and port mappings cannot even be changed after a container is installed (at least as far as I was able to figure it out in that short time).

OMV4 was a NAS-solution for all people, OMV5 seems to be built for computer engineers exclusively now. It's not even possible do do most things without CLI anymore. I really appreciate the work you do, but to be honest, OMV5 is a step backwards with regards to simplicity, ease of use and intuitiveness.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Docker sucks so bad, it is so unintuitive.

Only because you don't know it. Even commercial NASes have docker now.

Why do I have to put up now with directory and port mappings?

Didn't you have to pick a directory with the transmission plugin? And if you don't like port mappings, run it with host networking.

And worst of all, directory and port mappings cannot even be changed after a container is installed

Of course they can. That is the nice thing about docker, you delete the container and create a new one. because the volume(s) store the info you need, you don't lose anything and get a fresh "install" every time.

OMV4 was a NAS-solution for all people, OMV5 seems to be built for computer engineers exclusively now.

Nonsense. They have the same interface. Most computer engineers don't use OMV. There are plenty of guides to show you how to use docker. I ported a lot of damn plugins to 5.x and you act like I ported none. Almost all of the "NAS" functions (download and web server plugins are not a NAS function) are still plugins.

The downloader plugins were never ported to OMV 4.x. Transmission initially was but never touched again. And most people use the transmission web interface (start the docker and it is there).

It's not even possible do do most things without CLI and putty anymore.

I bet you can't come up with one thing that you use to do in a plugin that requires cli and putty now in OMV 5.x. If you think there is one, I will tell you how to do it without cli and putty.

OMV5 is a step backwards with regards simplicity, ease of use and intuitiveness.

OMV5 didn't change. omv-extras just reduced the number of plugins because I have no help and don't have infinite time. Don't blame OMV for what I chose to do. Some would argue that docker improves the ease of use. I have found that once most people become comfortable with docker, they want to run everything in docker.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I get what you're saying. You got comfortable with something that you spent some time setting up. What has happened here (to you) is clear enough - you failed to follow through. Read -> this and think it over.

The next time around, buy two or even three SD-cards and follow provided instructions, and you'll have choices as in whether or not to update or to continue to use an EOL'ed OS, add-on's, etc..

• Way to go! Pointing to a 1000 page manual and telling someone that they failed to adhere - you gotta be joking!

I'm not complaining that the SD card gave out which is now forcing me to upgrade, but rather that OMV5 is a huge step backward as compared to OMV4. I understand that the main purpose of OMV5 was to reduce support workload on your side but that could have been done better by delegating more plugin development/support to the community.

If docker is such a great thing, why is it not possible to keep the plugin-management in OMV but use docker "under the hood" for running the plugins? What I'm suggesting is, to free OMV users from having to understand the nuts and bolts of linux (and docker) and still provide enough functionality to make OMV the best NAS-solution there is (as it was with OMV4)...

• Offizieller Beitrag

One more plugin I'm missing a lot is WebDAV ...

I went to docker hub.

Looked up webdav and found the ugeek/webdav image.

Installed portainer from omv-extras and opened the web interface.

Went to the stacks section and clicked Add Stack.

Cut and paste the docker-compose example from the docker hub page into the new stack.

I changed the port and data path to a path on my system looking at the mount point column in the filesystems tab of omv.

I clicked Deploy the stack.

I had a webdav container.

• Offizieller Beitrag

understand that the main purpose of OMV5 was to reduce support workload on your side but that could have been done better by delegating more plugin development/support to the community.

hahahahaha. Really? I have asked and asked and asked for help for years and hardly received any. I'm the only one who has worked on plugins for a long time. The only way I could have done it better is to spend more time. Sorry, not doing it.

hy is it not possible to keep the plugin-management in OMV but use docker "under the hood" for running the plugins?

Because you still have to maintain the plugin. The would reduce my time by zero. Docker requires a little effort from the user in exchange for my time.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Pointing to a 1000 page manual and telling someone that they failed to adhere - you gotta be joking!

1000 pages is a bit of an embellishment. It's probably more like 950. :)
    (Actually, it's 90 standard pages.)

Maintenance is what it is. As it is with a car, if maintenance is never done, eventually it will stop. Your situation is very similar. In computing, backup is a straightforward and easy to understand "maintenance" concept. The new user document goes out of it's way to make backup and restoration, of both the OS and data, easy for a novice.

BTW badda : My posts were not written strictly for you. They're also written for users who may search the forum, as an example, to get THEM to backup their OS before they find themselves in your situation.

In any case, accept my regrets for your loss (of OMV4).

• to reduce support workload on your side but that could have been done better by delegating more plugin development/support to the community.

did you provide any funding to do so?
    Complaining about the work of volunteers is easy and free

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Sorry, but this is so inaccurate it is laughable.

did you provide any funding to do so?
    Complaining about the work of volunteers is easy and free

Okay, I see the discussion here is not leading anywhere productive and you're not really getting my point, so let's stop this thread ...

• hahahahaha. Really? I have asked and asked and asked for help for years and hardly received any. I'm the only one who has worked on plugins for a long time. The only way I could have done it better is to spend more time. Sorry, not doing it.

Because you still have to maintain the plugin. The would reduce my time by zero. Docker requires a little effort from the user in exchange for my time.

Thanks for the honest but alas disappointing freedback!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Okay, I see the discussion here is not leading anywhere productive and you're not really getting my point, so let's stop this thread ...

It's got nothing to do with leading somewhere productive.. it's when you post an opinion as if it is 100% fact. You're clearly set in your mindset, having a productive discussion is impossible from the start.

If you'd take a few hours and sit down and learn docker rather than just saying it is a "huge step backward", you'd find it is WAY easier to setup and maintain services on your server with docker. I'm glad OMV has moved away from plugins in favor of docker.

• Up to last week, my NanoPI M4 running OMV4 worked like a charm - then the SD card gave out.

in RE: Headless, automated backup of the system SD-card on RPi you made a fuzz about a better backup approach, can we take above thread as confirmation that it did not work as good as planned?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• in RE: Headless, automated backup of the system SD-card on RPi you made a fuzz about a better backup approach, can we take above thread as confirmation that it did not work as good as planned?

It's good to know that you find my old posts interesting enough to read :) However, if you do so, you should read the whole thing: The old post was about an RPi, my OP here is about NanoPi M4. Just helping you to connect the dots and understand the difference ...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!