DIY advice

• Looking for some advice on a DIY build

Previously had OMV running on a Gen 1 WD Mycloud

System fried during recent electrical problem (no big deal as i didnt really have anything on that was not recoverable from elsewhere)

Decide to try OMV5 on an ASUS PN50 to see how it would handle docker containers (Jellyfin, tvheadend, pyload, home assistant)

Working well so now thinking of building a system.

Looking for as low power usage as I can get but powerful enough to run the dockers mentioned.

Settled on an inwin MS04 case so system need to be mini itx

Cant seem to get any embedded CPU mini itx motherboards in Australia (such as J4125 onboard)

Was wondering if anyone has used a Pentium Gold G6400 ?

Suggested build is below

Motherboard (ASRock H510M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard)
    CPU (Intel Pentium Gold G6400 4 GHz Dual-Core)
    CPU Cooler (ARCTIC Alpine 12 LP)
    Case (InWin MS04-01 Mini-ITX Server Chassis w/315W PSU)
    Memory 8GB (GeIL 8GB Kit (2x4GB) DDR4 EVO SPEAR C16 2400MHz)
    SSD 250GB (Crucial P2 250GB NVMe M.2 SSD)

• This is similar to my home build as below and very happy with it.

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

• My board has an M.2 slot so may as well use it for the OS they are too expensive and low capacity to load up with movies etc.

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

• Offizieller Beitrag

Was wondering if anyone has used a Pentium Gold G6400 ?

I had a Pentium Gold G6400 with 8GB of RAM for a while with OMV and it worked great. Very similar to the one you propose. I was able to get Intel quick sync to work with jellyfin and handbrake. It is a powerful enough system for a NAS and consumption is content.

• Thanks for everyones replies. Have ordered the ms04 case (has to come from supplier) and two 128gb Silicon Power SSDS.

One for the OS and to store the docker container data. The other to backup. Already have external usb to sata cases on hand.

Will order the Motherboard, CPU and RAM when the case arrives. Didnt want to lock myself to mini itx in the event that i cant get the ms04 for whatever reason.

• Finally got the rig built

So hard to get some components at the moment (in my case CPU)

Got all my docker containers going again like they were on the PN50

OMV5 installer would not detect my wired NIC but did detect the wireless NIC

Went with OMV6 testing which detected both NICs fine, maybe OMV 6 has a newer kernel?

Is it possible to move from testing to stable when OMV6 stable releases?

Or does it require a complete reinstall?

• Is it possible to move from testing to stable when OMV6 stable releases?

Or does it require a complete reinstall?

It will be upgradeable without having to reinstall.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Manged to get pretty much everything i wanted working.

OMV 6 installed plus docker containers for MQTT, Home assistant, Jellyfin and TVheadend.

Last piece of the puzzle is how to clone the OMV OS

I have it on a 128gb SSD partioned like this OMV / DATA (for docker data / SWAP

System is headless, I have an identical SSD for the backup

Is there a way to clone a live system? OMV5 had the option to boot to clonezilla but OMV6 doesnt have that.

The cloned OS would need identical UUIDs Then clone using another computer) just wondering if it can be cloned in place/headless

• I run daily automated backups of my headless OMV system disk using dd in a script executed by cron.

There is also the openmediavault-backup plugin in OMV 5 but I do not know if it has been ported to OMV 6 or not.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thanks gderf

I used clonezilla on another machine to clone to an identical size disk. Clone worked.

Have the disk in a usb caddy so easy to swap over if need be.

backup plugin has not been ported at the moment.

does dd maintain UUID so that mountpoints are not different for the backup?

Also got caught out with the login page loop as my docker containers maxed out the OS partition

moved docker to the data partition.

• dd duplicates the target disk to be bit for bit identical with the source disk so UUIDs are also identical.

--

• Do you ever run into problems with DD backing up the live system.

Some people say it can lead to data corruption as the system is live but I dont know if its scaremongering on their part

I might get another 128GB SSD (They are quite cheap) and have one offline backup and then try DD on a seperate SSD. As a scheduled nightly backup would be good.

• In doing nightly backups for more than six years I have never had a problem with this and I test the resulting backups by restoring them every six weeks or so.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

dd duplicates the target disk to be bit for bit identical with the source disk so UUIDs are also identical.

I haven't used DD for this purpose - duplicating boot drives. A couple questions:

- I'll take it that backing up a live boot drive is OK.
    - Are you running the command line as a scheduled task?
    - What is a sample command line with switches?

• I have never had a problem using dd to backup a running system. I have been doing this daily for more than six years and frequently test the backups by restoring to an identical spare drive and booting with that. I used to go back to the original drive after a day or two, but don't bother with that anymore. The next time I test this I restore to the original drive and run with that one until the next time I test. So, basically I am rotating between two identical system drives. I try to test every six to eight weeks but I have gradually stretched this out some due to never having any problems. I have 100% confidence in this method because it has been thoroughly tested and I know how to perform the restore.

I run the command daily at 7:00am via the below script executed from root's crontab, not as an OMV scheduled job. It takes about eight minutes to run. I keep backups for the last seven days and automatically delete the oldest one after the daily backup completes.

I also permanently keep the last backup made before doing an upgrade to the next version of OMV. So I have copies of the last run versions of OMV 2, 3, and 4. Never had a need to use any of these though.

--

• In doing nightly backups for more than six years I have never had a problem with this and I test the resulting backups by restoring them every six weeks or so.

Would something like this run as a scheduled task do the job

Code
    dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

Or do you recommend any other dd options other than block size?

The idea of a live nightly backup appeals to me.

I can still do an offline backup once a week/month to another ssd

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!