OMV seems to have broken my SSD

• Hi there,

so I installed OMV 6 on an SSD and ran it for a while. Then on one bootup I did after forcing power off the system (so no proper shutdown) the BIOS gave me the following message before further booting the system: S.M.A.R.T Status bad, backup and replace.
    So I took the disk out and tried everything to format the disk after that because I wanted to change the OS and now got one reason more to do so... No matter which tools and which OS (Windows, macOS and Linux) nothing worked and the disk remains unchanged. Manually deleting files on the disk showed me that three directories (lost+found; usr; var) aren't deletable. :/

Anybody got any idea how I can rescue the disk? ;(

• Any storage media breaks from being used after some time, this is unrelated to OMV.

The storage media's controller checks SMART status. The message given is clear

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Ye makes sense... What makes me wonder though is that the SSD isn't even more than a month old.

So I guess sending back and ordering a new one is the only way to go then, huh?

• the SSD isn't even more than a month old

for electronic devices its normal to fail early or last "forever", that is called "infant mortality rate"

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• JLK2506

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • JLK2506

Hat das Label OMV 6.x (alpha) hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!