Transferring files via Samba from PC to XU4 Crashes XU4

• Hey all,
    New to this and just trying to setup a simple NAS using an external USB HDD. I've got it all configured following the guide for the XU4 OMV5 setup. I can transfer a few files and it works fine. But if i try to transfer a few gb's of data and it'll transfer just fine for a little while, hang, and then completely crash the XU4, it wont load the web GUI and is not on the network any more. I'm a noob at this stuff so any help would be appreciated!

unknown.png

unknown.png

• I used to have an XU4 and was bugged by the same problem but this was not with OMV. I did some research in the Ordoid forum and found it was a common problem. Sorry, it was a couple of years ago I can't remember the details but I couldn't solve it. Check the Odroid forum.

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Four port PCI-E SATA card

8GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive (28 GB partitioned for OS)

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives - UnionFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drive - SnapRAID parity

1x1TB Seagate HD

1x300GB Toshiba HD

Seagate 2TB USB drive

• I used to have an XU4 and was bugged by the same problem but this was not with OMV. I did some research in the Ordoid forum and found it was a common problem. Sorry, it was a couple of years ago I can't remember the details but I couldn't solve it. Check the Odroid forum.

damn i'm hoping its not that. I'll take a look at the odroid forums now, thank you!

• Alright, well i was able to get a replacement from the seller i bought mine from because the ethernet port was busted and this new one also has the same issue. It gets a bit further and then drops transfer, however it doesn't crash the entire Odroid. Any help would be awesome!

• Alright, well i was able to get a replacement from the seller i bought mine from because the ethernet port was busted and this new one also has the same issue. It gets a bit further and then drops transfer, however it doesn't crash the entire Odroid. Any help would be awesome!

Unfortunately, this isn't going to get fixed. It's honestly a poor device for a NAS because of these problems (which sucks, as that is how it gets marketed). He's very pompous so you'll have to wade through oodles of posts of him being a jackass, but if you search the forum for some of tkaiser's posts, he posted some possible fixes for this board years ago. I don't think any of them ever did any good (or they never did me). His opinion of the device wasn't very high either

It's honestly just a crap device for what you want to use it for and you'd be better served repurposing it.

Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• Unfortunately, this isn't going to get fixed. It's honestly a poor device for a NAS because of these problems (which sucks, as that is how it gets marketed). He's very pompous so you'll have to wade through oodles of posts of him being a jackass, but if you search the forum for some of tkaiser's posts, he posted some possible fixes for this board years ago. I don't think any of them ever did any good (or they never did me). His opinion of the device wasn't very high either

It's honestly just a crap device for what you want to use it for and you'd be better served repurposing it.

Well, that sucks. Thats the whole reason i bought it. Thank god i only paid $25 USD for it and ended up with two of them lmao. I'm going to keep dicking around and see if i can figure something out, thanks for the info though!

• Well, that sucks. Thats the whole reason i bought it. Thank god i only paid $25 USD for it and ended up with two of them lmao. I'm going to keep dicking around and see if i can figure something out, thanks for the info though!

Yeah, I understand, like I said that's how they market it (or back in the day they did).

That board has been out for years and I've never saw a successful fix to it's problems (I have one collecting dust as well somewhere). So if you figure something out, you'll be hailed as a hero to many.

Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• It makes a good webserver if this is any consolation - I had it running a few low volume Worpress sites ran for months without intervention. Just the big file transfers didn't work.

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Four port PCI-E SATA card

8GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive (28 GB partitioned for OS)

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives - UnionFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drive - SnapRAID parity

1x1TB Seagate HD

1x300GB Toshiba HD

Seagate 2TB USB drive

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!