Transferring files via Samba from PC to XU4 Crashes XU4

• Hey all,
    New to this and just trying to setup a simple NAS using an external USB HDD. I've got it all configured following the guide for the XU4 OMV5 setup. I can transfer a few files and it works fine. But if i try to transfer a few gb's of data and it'll transfer just fine for a little while, hang, and then completely crash the XU4, it wont load the web GUI and is not on the network any more. I'm a noob at this stuff so any help would be appreciated!

unknown.png

unknown.png

• I used to have an XU4 and was bugged by the same problem but this was not with OMV. I did some research in the Ordoid forum and found it was a common problem. Sorry, it was a couple of years ago I can't remember the details but I couldn't solve it. Check the Odroid forum.

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

• I used to have an XU4 and was bugged by the same problem but this was not with OMV. I did some research in the Ordoid forum and found it was a common problem. Sorry, it was a couple of years ago I can't remember the details but I couldn't solve it. Check the Odroid forum.

damn i'm hoping its not that. I'll take a look at the odroid forums now, thank you!

• Alright, well i was able to get a replacement from the seller i bought mine from because the ethernet port was busted and this new one also has the same issue. It gets a bit further and then drops transfer, however it doesn't crash the entire Odroid. Any help would be awesome!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Alright, well i was able to get a replacement from the seller i bought mine from because the ethernet port was busted and this new one also has the same issue. It gets a bit further and then drops transfer, however it doesn't crash the entire Odroid. Any help would be awesome!

Unfortunately, this isn't going to get fixed. It's honestly a poor device for a NAS because of these problems (which sucks, as that is how it gets marketed). He's very pompous so you'll have to wade through oodles of posts of him being a jackass, but if you search the forum for some of tkaiser's posts, he posted some possible fixes for this board years ago. I don't think any of them ever did any good (or they never did me). His opinion of the device wasn't very high either

It's honestly just a crap device for what you want to use it for and you'd be better served repurposing it.

• Unfortunately, this isn't going to get fixed. It's honestly a poor device for a NAS because of these problems (which sucks, as that is how it gets marketed). He's very pompous so you'll have to wade through oodles of posts of him being a jackass, but if you search the forum for some of tkaiser's posts, he posted some possible fixes for this board years ago. I don't think any of them ever did any good (or they never did me). His opinion of the device wasn't very high either

It's honestly just a crap device for what you want to use it for and you'd be better served repurposing it.

Well, that sucks. Thats the whole reason i bought it. Thank god i only paid $25 USD for it and ended up with two of them lmao. I'm going to keep dicking around and see if i can figure something out, thanks for the info though!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, that sucks. Thats the whole reason i bought it. Thank god i only paid $25 USD for it and ended up with two of them lmao. I'm going to keep dicking around and see if i can figure something out, thanks for the info though!

Yeah, I understand, like I said that's how they market it (or back in the day they did).

That board has been out for years and I've never saw a successful fix to it's problems (I have one collecting dust as well somewhere). So if you figure something out, you'll be hailed as a hero to many.

• It makes a good webserver if this is any consolation - I had it running a few low volume Worpress sites ran for months without intervention. Just the big file transfers didn't work.

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have an XU4 running pihole. It has been working about a year with no issues.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hmm, I never thought of that. I'd been trying to think of something to do with it.

I think I got the idea from crashtest . Actually PiHole is running from a DietPi install on the xu4. I couldn't figure out/lost patience with the Macvlan part of an OMV install. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have pi-hole running from an old R-PI 2B, with DietPi. It has more than enough horsepower for the function and it's running Unbound as well ( a recursive DNS server). For a change, pi-hole updates from the CLI as it should. No more nuking my DNS service or reconfiguring the EV's of a container after a Docker update.

I did burn through an SD-card after about 6 months, the first time around. It was a cheap card so it could have been a fluke. I've been running on a decent card for close to a year.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've got another of these paper weights, as well as a RPi 3, sitting on the shelf. I have thought about setting one of them up the same way and then just sitting it on the shelf in case my current PiHole goes down. I love OMV but DietPi is the way to go with PiHole. Your mileage may varry.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• So, i think i may have just figured out a fix? I pretty much gave up on trying to get this to work, went on and tried to setup samba via ubuntu mate instead, that was a massive pain in the ass to get to work and decided to come back to this to see if i could figure anything out. I'm not sure why this would fix it, but was the first thing i changed on a basically new OMV install. All i did was enable SMB1 support in windows and its now transferring files no problem. I just transferred a ~7gb folder of pdfs to it and didn't drop at all. Before it would crash any where from 200mb to 1gb into the transfer. Again, not sure WHY this would fix it, but it seems like it did? I'm transferring over a bunch of movies now so we'll see if it gets through it or not.

• Sounds like a bug in SAMBA on ARM platform could be the root cause.

OMV is leveraging SAMBA as is without modification.

Did you consider to search in the SAMBA bug tracker and eventually raise an issue there?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• When I has this problem it was with copying large files to an NFS share on a second device.

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!