omv-extras plugins - porting progress to OMV 6.x (done)

• I have now also given OMV6 with mergerfs (on RasPi OS 64) a try. The problem I have is that while setting up a mergerfs pool with wildcards works fine and all files are there, after a reboot only the contents of one disk appear in the mergerfs mount.

I've checked the systemd mount file, and it includes the line

Code
    RequiresMountsFor=findmnt: options --target and --source can't be used together with command line element that is not an option

This looks like an error to me. I'm going to try to put the required mount point manually in there.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This looks like an error to me.

It is. If you don't have a *, it won't work right. What was your wildcard?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Indeed the RequiresMountsFor line was the issue. After putting the required mount points there manually, all my files showed up after reboot.

findmnt doesn't seem to like wildcards. On the shell this gave me the desired output, but I don't know if that is feasible for your implementation:

Code
    echo $(for i in /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-*/mergerfs*; do findmnt --first-only --noheadings --output TARGET --target $i; done)
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know if that is feasible for your implementation:

Unfortunately not since you shouldn't have command line structures in the mount file. I am fixing it now.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

findmnt doesn't seem to like wildcards

6.0.7 is in the repo. I wrote my own wrapper around findmnt https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…/main/usr/bin/omv-findmnt. This helps simplify the saltstack code too.

• True but nothing I can control. Since systemd converted fstab entries to mounts, I don't understand why fstab entries don't have the limit

This is true, however I think they still recommend using fstab as they are auto converted to mount entries as needed.: https://www.freedesktop.org/so…/systemd.mount.html#fstab

I might just add a checkbox to the pool creation that will give the user the option to create a systemd mount file or /etc/fstab entry to get around the 256 character limit. I need to think about that.

I do like the idea of using an fstab or systemd mount option for creating a mergerfs volume (albeit double work) and could keep things working while a solution or deeper detail is found.

Regardless of mergerfs, is systemd just completing ignoring filesystems or fuse types that could have long What= fields? That does seem weird.

Even if short name symlinks are used, at some point, it too will surpass the 255 character limit.

As long as the limit is there unsure how much a systemd mount unit will be extensible :(

I've gotten so fond of symlinks I've ditched UUID's completely (unless I absolutely have to use it). They set up in seconds.. you can put them in a single centralized location (I have all mine under /NAS).. Obviously that doesn't matter much with nfs/smb, etc.. but when needing access to my files at the command line level, or writing docker-compose files.. it's WAY easier.

I guess this could work for now as I do like a more explicit way to set this up which makes it more idempotent.

• Offizieller Beitrag

however I think they still recommend using fstab as they are auto converted to mount entries as needed

That doesn't solve the dependency issue.

I do like the idea of using an fstab or systemd mount option for creating a mergerfs volume (albeit double work) and could keep things working while a solution or deeper detail is found.

I already started working on it.

As long as the limit is there unsure how much a systemd mount unit will be extensible

Most things don't come even close to the limit. I'm also looking into other ideas where the plugin would create short symlinks for the What= paths but still use the actual path in the RequiresMountsFor= (doesn't have the 256 limit). This should still accomplish the goals I had for using systemd.

• hello

im using ver 6 and see KVM plugin was reported as done, i have installed and when trying to create a pool i see an error, the same error is no matter which "Type" i select

Code
     500 - Internal Server Error
    Failed to execute XPath query '//system/fstab/mntent[uuid='79684322-3eac-11ea-a974-63a080abab18']'. 
    • Offizieller Beitrag

im using ver 6 and see KVM plugin was reported as done, i have installed and when trying to create a pool i see an error, the same error is no matter which "Type" i select

I missed the sharerootfs plugin as a dependency on this plugin too. Just install that plugin and it will work. You can type the path in as well.

https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…17b3504d194e2ff1e42e221dd

• Offizieller Beitrag
    • symlinks 6.0.1 in repo - dependency fix.
    • kernel 6.1.1 in repo - uses proxmox 5.15 kernel now
    • mergerfs change (not in repo yet) - uses symlink for each branch (if the branch is not using wildcard). Should be able to get up to 15 branches (depending if subfolder is chosen) in the 256 limit. The symlink will be in /srv/mfs and be an 8 digit crc32 value created from the long path (Volker's idea). Still testing this. Working on fstab option too.
    • kvm 6.0.1 in repo - dependency fix and network add fix.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• 2 posts before your's has the reason why, you only had to look UP.

RE: omv-extras plugins - porting progress to OMV 6.x

mergerfs change (not in repo yet) - uses symlink for each branch (if the branch is not using wildcard). Should be able to get up to 15 branches (depending if subfolder is chosen) in the 256 limit. The symlink will be in /srv/mfs and be an 8 digit crc32 value created from the long path (Volker's idea). Still testing this. Working on fstab option too.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've mounted my drives and created a folder in each of it.

Then I'm trying to merge them with merger Fs on OMV 6 (.0.34)

If you plan to use the resultant merged drive for video storage, before copying a lot of content, you might consider using the policy "most free space". The change in storage policy can be done after creation and it will take effect immediately.

• Offizieller Beitrag

openmediavault-mergerfs 6.0.8 is in the testing repo. This version will create symlinks to each branch to shorten the path. The symlink will be 17 characters (unless the branch has a subfolder) which should allow 10+ branches. It is in the testing repo for a reason. Don't use this on something important.

I will also warn people to never put anything in /srv/mfs. I don't know why someone would though. This is where the branch symlinks are created and it is completely wiped every time the mergerfs saltstack code is run.

• Offizieller Beitrag

either extfat or something native.

Having ntfs3 in kernel almost makes it native lol.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!