SMB configuration for OSX clients

• Based on the samba 4.9.x functions and the guide https://wiki.samba.org/index.p…Work_Better_with_Mac_OS_X i discovered a few small things:

1. the comment above "fruit:aaple = yes" in the smb.conf [global] section is not quite correct:

# Special configuration for Apple's Time Machine

technically correct it should be

# enable Apple's SMB2+ extension codenamed AAPL

2. for the shares sections you didnt add the "#Extra options" comment line when generating the smb.conf

3. would be good to add the switch for ea support also in the global section (right now it just exists under shares, can be done via extra options so it works right now)

and last but not least the really important thing/bug:

4. inside the [shares] there is "vfs objects =" .... not very useful cause it stays inside the configuration even if you add the needed "vfs objects = fruit streams_xattr" via the extra options and you have to do this for every share cause it overwrites the global definition (if you did one)

P.S. yes i did see what gets added when you enable Timemachine support (it makes more sense to create a separate TM share with quota). So at least when timemachine is not enabled you just should omit to put the empty "vfs_objects" into the section so the user can configure what he wants via extra options.

Sometimes you just want OSX compatible shares without timemachine. And if you create a TM share you would like to add the quota most of the time.

Code

Code
    [TimeMachineBackup]

vfs objects = fruit streams_xattr

fruit:time machine = yes

#  fruit:time machine max size = SIZE

Tom

----

HP N54L, 6GB, 5disc Raid5, SSD Boot with OMV 5
    HP N54L, 16GB, 4disc ZFS pool, SSD Boot with other NAS system

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von tom_tav ()

• Hi tom_tav,

Please could you explain in an easier way what I have to do, I am sorry but my skills are poor. I have a mac and a server with omv. smb is very slow, especially in read mode. I cannot use my mac with beyond compare. My old laptop (window) is a thousand times faster than my new mac to compare folders on my server. Please could you help me?

Do you suggest AFP for mac? or SMB?

Thank you very much!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!