BorgBackup local repo - URL to call it with?

• Hi all,

I'm new to OMV, have OMV5 on an Armbian-based device.

I have the BorgBackup plugin installed, and have made a repo on my main drive via the UI.

I would like to now back up other devices to this repo using command-line borg from those devices, but it's not finding them. e.g.:

> borg list ssh://tim@odroidhc2/peefiddy

Repository ssh://tim@odroidhc2/peefiddy does not exist.

The repo name is "peefiddy", with OMV5 on the odroidhc2 host.

The messages I've come across seem to be more about backing up OMV to another host; is that the expected use case for this plugin?

• tlavoie

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • Right, thanks macom. That's the one I had been looking at, and it's talking about using Borg to back OMV to another server.

I am looking to use OVM as the destination host, not the client as in this case. That's why I'm trying to understand if that is an expected use case for the plugin, or if I should just do something manually like I would on a Linux system anyway.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's why I'm trying to understand if that is an expected use case for the plugin,

If you create a remote repo in the plugin, it will backup the files you select in the archive to the remote repo. If you create a local repo, it will backup the files you select in the archive to the local repo. I would have to look but I don't think borg can pull files from a remote host to a local repo. If you want to backup files from a remote system using borg, borg would have to run on that system with a local repo on OMV. The plugin would help with the latter but not the former.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looks like it can via sshfs but the plugin isn't going to set that up.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• If you create a remote repo in the plugin, it will backup the files you select in the archive to the remote repo. If you create a local repo, it will backup the files you select in the archive to the local repo. I would have to look but I don't think borg can pull files from a remote host to a local repo. If you want to backup files from a remote system using borg, borg would have to run on that system with a local repo on OMV. The plugin would help with the latter but not the former.

Right, that's exactly what I was looking for. I have borg on other systems, but hadn't found a URL which will use the local repo configured in the plugin as the destination.

Trying locally (SSH into OMV), I can't access the repo using borg, since it's owned by root and not group-accessible, so my user ID can't do anything there. That is, my attempts to use the URL ssh://tim@odroidhc2/peefiddy are likely to fail regardless, as I'd be connecting as my non-root user.

I could attempt to SSH in as root, but that is sketchier than just setting up a non-root accessible repo (outside of OMV if need be), and accessing it with my regular user ID.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Right, that's exactly what I was looking for. I have borg on other systems, but hadn't found a URL which will use the local repo configured in the plugin as the destination.

Trying locally (SSH into OMV), I can't access the repo using borg, since it's owned by root and not group-accessible, so my user ID can't do anything there. That is, my attempts to use the URL ssh://tim@odroidhc2/peefiddy are likely to fail regardless, as I'd be connecting as my non-root user.

I could attempt to SSH in as root, but that is sketchier than just setting up a non-root accessible repo (outside of OMV if need be), and accessing it with my regular user ID.

When I wrote the plugin, I figured the PCs would back their files and/or access their files on the NAS (OMV). So, I wanted to have multiple copies of the those files locally on the OMV box and another server. I guess I could allow local repos to be created by the plugin with ownership from a selected user. Then the PC could access it remotely and backup to it.

• Gotcha thanks. Or a small suggestion, perhaps just a name tweak to indicate that the idea is that it's the client end.

Your idea is a valid use case, just not the one I had in mind.

For what it's worth, it was also easy to just make some changes outside of OMV, to folders on the mounted drive. I did it twice, so that I could compare Borg and Restic in the same general use case over SSH/SFTP. (I'd already been using restic to back up to local USB SSD drives.)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!