Flash Memory Removing Swap Partitions

• Hi Guys

I've just installed OMV5 on a 16gb USB drive and installed the Flash Memory plugin

Under "Optional Notes" there are various instructions to carry out which I have done, however at section 8 it says this

Zitat
    1. On systems using GPT, swap will still be auto-detected. The swap partition should be turned off and wiped.Find the swap partition with:
    blkid | grep swapExample output where /dev/sda2 is the swap partition:/dev/sda2: UUID="01c2d1ab-354b-4e2b-8d7c-ca35793f5fe7" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="4f64854c-02"Disable the swap partition with swapoff:swapoff /dev/sda2Wipe the swap partition with wipefs:wipefs -a /dev/sda2Reboot

However I'm getting 4 swap partitions

Code
    root@Home-NAS:~# blkid | grep swap
    /dev/sda5: UUID="da20b36e-bed9-46a6-b78b-b2ebeeb57ad8" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="8d30306a-05"
    /dev/sdb5: UUID="4a3162a0-d957-48a2-be94-fd7cb2ca8ebd" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="0007a0ef-05"
    /dev/sdc5: UUID="488147ee-a0bb-40d0-b00c-d838535d1769" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="76865817-05"
    /dev/sdf5: UUID="7c915622-e55e-4a7a-97f1-bc17cb457b98" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="ed077738-05"
    root@Home-NAS:~#

So my question is should I wipe all 4 swap partitions individually

Graeme

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure the installer could have pulled that off. Unless you've done something really wild, those appear to be 4 different physical drives. Do you have additional drives that that have been used in a Linux system before? Are those drives blank or do they have data on them you do not have backed up elsewhere and don't want to lose?

post the output of blkid without the | grep swap

also post the output of

Code
    fdisk -l
  • Hi KM

Thanks for your response

Zitat

Not sure the installer could have pulled that off. Unless you've done something really wild

I'm not aware of doing anything abnormal during the installation, in fact I disconnected all the physical drives pre installation so I can't see how the installer could have done it and it all went fairly straightforward, I've installed OMV many times before although this is the first time I've installed to a USB drive, I did add 1 drive which I'm sure is listed as sda1

Zitat

those appear to be 4 different physical drives. Do you have additional drives that that have been used in a Linux system before?

They are 4 physical drives but they were already there when I installed the system, the reason I installed was because I was previously running OMV 4 and the boot drive filled up so I decided to do a fresh install on a 16gb USB drive, All the drives were in a Linux system at one time, I built the NAS years ago using old drives I had lying around, but I'm not aware of these swap partitions being there before but I could be wrong, I normally wipe and reformat them in gparted before I install inside the NAS

Zitat

Are those drives blank or do they have data on them you do not have backed up elsewhere and don't want to lose?

All the drives have data on them such as Music, Video, Photos etc, all the contents are backed up weekly to an external USB HDD using the Rsync plugin, this is not a new build I was just reinstalling the OS from V4 to V5

Many thanks

Graeme

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK, well, /dev/sdf is the swap partition the installer set up, so if you do this, I'd nuke that one.

The others... They're all small relative to the amount of total disk space you have ( I counted approx. 20gigs among the other drives)... If it were me, I'd probably boot a Linux live CD like Mint, Ubuntu, etc... fire up Gparted, and just delete those swap partitions on the other drives, and just leave them unallocated.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!