RBPi 4 Crashing

• Hello guys.

I recently bought a second-hand RaspberryPie 4 with 4Gb ram to run the OMV, replacing an old laptop.

For the first two weeks, all worked fine. Two days ago it suddenly crashed during a movie download from Radarr/Transmission. I restarted the OMV and the download got corrupted. I deleted it and restarted the download.. same thing happened. I tried to check the disk for errors, got some bad blocks that were "fixed" but the issue continues.

The RP keeps alive, I can access it through PuTTY but cant access the web interface (even clearing my cache) nor files via SAMBA nor Transmission (via portainer).

It seems that the system crashs when I download something at speed higher than 10 MB/s (my internet can go up to 30MB/s).

I tried a fresh install 3 times and got the same issue every single time.

What could it be? SD Card? Overheating? I looked the log files but I dont understand it.. Sadly I dont have an extra SD Cart to test it right now...

• or the power supply is not delivering enough power at full load. That is a common issue, especially if a non-genuine Raspberry Pi power supply is used.

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Hmmm Not sure about power supply.. it has worked fine for 2 weeks, even downloading huge files..

I've just checked it and it is 5V 3A as output... I saw the "Original" one would be 5.1V 3A... oh gosh..

• well, printing 3A on a label versus actually delivering 3A consistently is the real difference for a power supply.

From forum and blog post at https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/ it seems even the RPI foundation had issues to find a reliable supplier

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• Offizieller Beitrag

At one point I had problems with a RPi4, running OMV, that would hang. It happened only when I used both USB3 ports at the same time. So now I only use one of the USB3 ports. And I have no more problems.

I assume it is something hardware or power related.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• Do your external drive have only one USB connector (which would be data + power) or does it also have a power connector and a separate data connector?

Mine has only one connector and it is the only thing connected to RPi4.

• So I got another power supply, from my Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus, which is rated as 5V 3Amp... got the same problem....

maybe a SD Card with problem? I'm about to buy a new one to test..

• One USB3 port can deliver 0,9A. The raspi doesn't has two USB3 ports, it has one doubled USB3 port and both ports together can deliver 0,9A.

One external harddrive needs approx 1 A to run. So it's a very limited construction. Pleased use a harddrive with an own power supply.

• Hmm..

I did another test: instead of downloading something at top speed from a torrent, I tried to copy a 15 gb file from my PC to the NAS through the LAN. The speed was greater than downloading and all went fine...

I dont have an external case with an own power supply to test right now, and I'm using a 2.5" laptop hard disk, so its not so easy to find a case for this HD size...

• a powered USB hub will work too

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!