PCI express SATA card on HP T620 thin client

• Good day everybody.

I have recently purchased a HP T620 Thin client.

It came with Windows 7 embedded, and I tried to install OMV.

At first, it didn't boot after installation. Even booting with rEFInd didn't help.

Then I installed Ubuntu, and it booted from the 16GB SSD.

After that, I installed OMV again, and it (magically) booted from SSD.

Now I want to take out the WIFI module, freeing up the Mini PCIe connnector.

I ordered an adapter from Mini PCIe to PCIe, and want to buy a PCIe SATA card (minimum 4 SATA connectors).

My question is: do I need any drivers or configuration?

And what SATA card do you recommend?

Many thanks for your suport!

• do I need any drivers or configuration?

Normally, no.

And what SATA card do you recommend?

I just bought this card and it works very well with Linux- https://www.amazon.com/CREST-I…ort&qid=1628685067&sr=8-2

omv 5.6.13 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.6
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• card "IO CREST Internal 5 Port Non-Raid SATA III 6GB/S Pci-E X4 Controller Card JMB585 Chipset SI-PEX40139"

Isn't the mentioned limitation below, too much of a restriction for flexible use?
    "This card is only design for storage Use only, can not Boot any OS/ system drives"

omv 5.6.16-1 (usul) on RPi4/4GB with Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 6TB HDD formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Isn't the mentioned limitation below, too much of a restriction for flexible use?
    "This card is only design for storage Use only, can not Boot any OS/ system drives"

First, the system is already booting from the ssd. The post doesn't say anything about changing the connection to the new sata card. I assumed the new card is for storage.

Second, just because the card can't boot doesn't mean you couldn't put grub on usb stick. Then you could boot from just about any device. only having grub on the usb stick would be almost no writes and the usb stick would last forever.

Finally, why is the lack of booting a restriction for anything else? Most people add sata cards to an OMV box to add more data drives. In my case, I added this exact card to a RPi CM4 to data drives.

omv 5.6.13 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.6
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• the only convenient way I can see for this is just buy those 2 port SATA mini pcie card. and then just use a SATA port multiplier, I tried this with those Asmedia based chipset it goes along with the port multiplier. If you plug this on a something like 5bay HDD enclosures out in the market with eSATA port, this should work just fine and just buy a SATA to eSATA cable.

as for the boot issues, I actually have this issues with T610, maybe its also present on T620, the only way to boot OMV reliably is replace the sata storage (which is 16GB) to a off the shelve 120gb ones (or the 64gb from aliexpress or ebay, but still, the price is difference is like 5bucks so just get the 120gb ones from reputable brands like kingston), after that make sure to disable UEFI boot on bios and just go on legacy boot only.

• please revise this page, not sure that mini pci works for other than a wifi card: https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t620/

If it's anything like an old Shuttle PC I had it might have to be disabled in the BIOS _first_ or else it won't POST. Even if it does work, I'm doubting it's anything more than a x1 (3.0 in this case), but that wouldn't be bad for platter drives I guess. I put a USB 3.0 controller in the Shuttle's and it worked (with an adapter off of Alibaba).

Would be nice to hear from the OP on this and I'm wondering what type of ECC options that board has (if any). Seems like a cheap capable board.

• Hi all,

I am happy to inform you that the mini-PCIe to PCIe extender and the JMB585 5-port SATA expander (both from a Chinese website) work very well, and were accepted by the HP T620 Thin client (BIOS and OMV6) without any additional actions.

I cant say much about the speed though, but I will test that in more detail soon.

I am not looking for maximum performance, just capacity expansion with fault tolerancy.

To be continued...

• good to know.

Please , can you post a link to exact PCIe extender and the JMB585 5-port SATA expander on chinese website.

I'm inteested on see it and find on europe.

• I have a small update for those interested :)

I have attached the following disks as mockup:

1. One USB3 HDD connected to the USB3 port
    2. One USB 1.1/2 stick connected to the internal USB connector on the motherboard
    3. Three 3.5" SATA HDD to the SATA extender (connected to the Mini-PCIe connector)
    4. One SATA SSDconnected to the same SATA extender as above

I use an old PC power supply to power the PCIe card and the SATA disks.

The system runs stable and I have measured the following performances:

Data speed: It seems that the write speed form SATA to USB3 (and vise versa) is fairly stable about 100MB/s.

Copy from USB3 to SSD is the fastst with speeds up to 125MB/s.

When I start multiple writes simultaneously, the speeds are split, so that the overall speed is around 100MB/s.

For what I am using it for; this is more than enough.

Power consumption (including all disks and power supplies) is around 22W with the HDD spun down.

When browsing the disks, it is around 35W, and with multiple copy actions simultaneously it consumes around 45W.

Overall, I am very happy with it, as I have been looking for a cheap low power machine with USB3 and Gigabit ethernet for some time.

Rough cost:

HP T620 Quad : € 50

5xSATA extender, SATA power cable and PCIe converter: € 50

Power supply: € 5

SATA HDD (1 TB): spares, but refurbished ones cost around € 15

It is bigger than a Raspberry, but more convenient (at least for my skill level).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!