Unusual problem trying to add 10g nic to existing omv5 installation

• so I've been running omv5 since it came out, no issues with it. my server is an old i5 3470, 32gb ram, and 8x3tb hgst sas drives with an lsi controller.

my network setup is udm pro, 10g aggregation switch and 24 poe pro.

zero problems with network setup or any devices on it.

I'm trying to add a mellanox connect x3 10gb sfp+ to my omv server, and connect that directly to my 10g aggregation switch. I shut omv down, install the card, turn omv back on and the nic lights up and the switch port lights up, so they see each other, and are apparently talking, however when i turn the server on with the x3 installed, it immediately disables the onboard motherboard nic.

which means my ip to my web gui doesn't work, I can't access omv.

My udm shows the ip addresses of all clients attached to the switches, and the ip's of the other switches connected to the aggregation switch.

however it doesn't show an ip for the omv pc.

I tried running omv first aid, but get an error message and it doesn't run.. so i'm kind of at a loss.

If I remove the 10g card the onboard 1g nic works again.

anyone have any ideas?

eta the same card works fine in my windows torrent box, connects right up to the aggregation switch with no issues, pulls a dhcp address and is up and running.. for some reason it shuts off the onboard nic of the omv box. I assumed I could have both "on" at the same time and then add the new adapter in the omv gui, but can't access it due to unknown ip address.

• well I was able to solve a few issues, time was off, corrected that, updated omv-extras using the cli through putty (need to install shell in a box)

and am now able to run omv-firstaid from the terminal, but when I run omv-firstaid and run network repair but i don't get a list of interfaces to choose from, instead it runs for a minute, then I get a message saying network configured, but it's just using the default 127.x.xx.xx address,

as soon as I hit enter on #1 configure network it should show me a list of adapters.. it does not.

it goes straight to a screen that says configuring network but nothing happens after it gets done and spits me back to the main screen.

• Did you install the required drivers? Installing Unix drivers is much more demanding than on Windows.

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Check your server BIOS. Mine has a setting that can enable or disable the onboard NICs if a Pcie NIC is detected. You might still have to install a driver for your card.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• Check your server BIOS. Mine has a setting that can enable or disable the onboard NICs if a Pcie NIC is detected. You might still have to install a driver for your card.

I went through the bios, couldn't find anything like that. the board is a gigabyte circa 2012.. it's pretty old and the bios is ancient.

ack.. it's looking like the cards I bought are a no-go eh?

I'll have to find a different brand, i'll look for an intel I guess. Any suggestions on plug and play ones that will for sure work?

I'm working on building a new server, (i7 11700 for that new igp for transcoding)

I'd like to knock out 10g cards for both servers if possible.

• Did you install the required drivers? Installing Unix drivers is much more demanding than on Windows.

that's part of the problem.. when i install the card, it immediately disables the motherboard 1g lan connection. I can't get an IP for the omv box from my switch, it's like it doesn't exist. The lights on the switch and card are blinking, but can't get an ip, can't download/install drivers.

I don't know why it's disabling the onboard ethernet, there's nothing in the bios that allows that from what I can see.

• On my machine the feature is called Dynamic Onboard LAN Control. Screenshot of BIOS page attached.

Maybe you can try downloading the driver to a USB stick and install them from there?

• looking like the cards I bought are a no-go eh?

well the linked issue is in relation to ARM platform, x86 isn't covered there

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

• well the linked issue is in relation to ARM platform, x86 isn't covered there

Well I guess it's just a driver import issue on an existing build. I put together my new box this weekend and used the mellanox x3 card connected to my unifi aggregation switch, during install omv detected the 10g card and set up and was ready to rock and roll in a few minutes.

• On my machine the feature is called Dynamic Onboard LAN Control. Screenshot of BIOS page attached.

Maybe you can try downloading the driver to a USB stick and install them from there?

Do you have any instructions or a link on how to do it with a USB stick? I got my new machine up and running would like to get 10 going on the old box so I can populate the new server with all my media via 10g Ethernet instead of USB drives

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!