Wanting to replace my Orico 5-bay USB - Is OMV the right approach

• I currently backup my main system using a USB attached Orico enclosure. The Orico box sometimes just goes into Alert for no apparent reason. I do not want to make this a NAS to avoid LAN disruption of streaming services. Is OMV the right approach? I currently run OMV6 for my Plex storage on a stand-alone pc which works well. In short, I like something to look and act like my Orico drives which appear as one large 15 TB drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Welcome to the forum!!!

Is OMV the right approach?

Not sure what you are asking. Are you asking if OMV can be used for a NAS? Than definitely yes. It is the main purpose of OMV.

If you have already OMV6 (alpha/testing) running, you can just add some storage and test it.

But for now it would be better to start with OMV5 which is the stable version at the moment.

• I didn't want to go NAS because of the load on the LAN during backup as it is mostly used for streaming from my OMV/Plex setup which is using OMV6 and docker w. Plex container.

I was asking if an OMV box could serve data via USB. After experimenting with both TrueNAS and OMV I can see it is a stupid idea because the transfer rates on USB are MUCH slower than LAN speeds. The little time I spent on TrueNAS showed that my potential storage would be halved as I had two drives and used ZFS with SPLIT. So I will be using OMV for SHARE the backup folders to the different machines as needed.

Thanks

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!