Adding 2nd HDD to double capacity, looking for best option for integration (RAID 0, unionfilesystems, megerfsfolders)

• Greetings,

Here is what I am trying to do:

Add a second WD RED 6TB HDD to my already existing OMV system, doubling the capacity to 12TB.

Current setup:

HP Z220 - Intel i5-3470

8GB RAM

Version: 4.1.36-1 (Arrakis)

Kernel: 4.19.0-0.bpo.9-amd64

OS on 60GB SSD

1st (currently only HDD): 6TB WD RED HDD

Current backup method:

12TB External WD Elements HDD

(I purchased this in anticipation that I would one day double my server capacity, which I am finally doing.)

I use "USB Backup" to backup up my current setup.

My current HDD has finally reached near full capacity, (5.3TB used of the 5.4TB available).

I am looking for the simplest and safest way to add my second drive. I have read the FAQ on RAID and watched several Techo Dad Life videos, but seem to be a bit lost on what the best route is for me.

Here are my options as I see them:

1. Use Unionfilesystems to pool the drives together?

2. Use mergerfsfolders to pool together the directories?

3. Wipe the 1st drive, and use RAID 0 to combine both drives?

The risk with option three is that I did a crappy job backing up my data, and end up losing everything. I thought about practicing backing up my data on the new HDD just to see if I could do it, and if successful, push forward with setting up RAID 0.

FWIW, this is a home media server.

Sorry if this post is too long, or is just digging up questions that have been asked here before.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

• Version: 4.1.36-1 (Arrakis) is long EOL!

Best to use the disc as a (clone) backup and upgrade to OMV5 first

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Offizieller Beitrag

If your target is to increase the capacity and as you already have backup, I would use the unionfilesystem plugin (which is using mergerfs)

And as mi-hol mentioned, you should really consider to upgrade to OMV5 (which will include upgrade to Debian 10)

• If your target is to increase the capacity and as you already have backup, I would use the unionfilesystem plugin (which is using mergerfs)

And as mi-hol mentioned, you should really consider to upgrade to OMV5 (which will include upgrade to Debian 10)

I've been pretty satisfied with where my current version of OMV is at, but I will look more into it, especially if it's going be more beneficial in the long run.

If I go with unionfilesystem/mergerfs, will I still be able to backup using my same method (USB Backup to the 12TB drive)? Will I be missing out on performance or does it really matter in my case?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I go with unionfilesystem/mergerfs, will I still be able to backup using my same method (USB Backup to the 12TB drive)?

Yes. USB Backup works with shared folders. The only difference is, that the content of the shared folders might or might not be distributed on the two disks. (depending on your settings of mergerfs).

Will I be missing out on performance or does it really matter in my case?

I hope others have an answer to this based on practical experience.

https://github.com/trapexit/mergerfs#performance

• Yes. USB Backup works with shared folders. The only difference is, that the content of the shared folders might or might not be distributed on the two disks. (depending on your settings of mergerfs).

I hope others have an answer to this based on practical experience.

https://github.com/trapexit/mergerfs#performance

I'm back....

So I was able to update to OMV 5 using the method ryecoaaron stated (link for anyone interested).

I ran into a few hiccups with mounting the second HDD, most likely due to my own error. But it is mounted, and successfully created a Filesystem for the HDD.

I have installed the "Union Filesystems" and "mergerfs" plugins. I don't think I need unionfs for what I want to do, and mergerfs should work. I am looking for a sanity check before I go with my desired setup.

Current Setup:

Disk 1: Has all the data, already organized with several folders and files. Has one Shared folder (which is simply the entire disk).

Disk 2: Blank

I want to simply merge the two together, and continue using the already created folder structure.

Using the mergerfs gui I created the following:

Will this setup work, or is there a better way I should do this? I don't want to end up regretting this a few months/years down the road.

Thanks again for the help in advance.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!