Building a new NAS (Home use only) Hardware and Software help is needed

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do not forget the UPS, or your backup system.

Copaxy Don't let this short sentence pass by unnoticed. At the end of the day this is more important than what hardware you use.

You sound unsure which direction to take. Save some money by buying some "learning" machines, so you can figure out what you eventually want/need. Pick up a couple of used towers on Ebay, Newegg, or something similar. Be careful to use reputable sources. You might even have some old 64 bit/dual core machines lying about collecting dust, or you might know someone who has this kind of paperweight taking up space in a closet who would love for you to get rid of it for them. Learn your way around OMV and its plugins/services/containers/dockers/etc. The money you save will allow you to buy a UPS and some backup disks and machines.

• Copaxy Don't let this short sentence pass by unnoticed. At the end of the day this is more important than what hardware you use.

You sound unsure which direction to take. Save some money by buying some "learning" machines, so you can figure out what you eventually want/need. Pick up a couple of used towers on Ebay, Newegg, or something similar. Be careful to use reputable sources. You might even have some old 64 bit/dual core machines lying about collecting dust, or you might know someone who has this kind of paperweight taking up space in a closet who would love for you to get rid of it for them. Learn your way around OMV and its plugins/services/containers/dockers/etc. The money you save will allow you to buy a UPS and some backup disks and machines.

Sorry for the late answer.

Yeah true i will not forget the UPS and the backup System.

I actually still have my old dual core PC which was my first computer i own except the old one my parents used. I am currently playing around with it with the terminal, installing software etc. And also i am still using a experimental NAS which is a Raspberry PI4 with harddrives connected by USB. I almost everyday continue in getting more into home server knowledge and how to create dockers, build own images etc. (When the time allows it)

The backup System will probably just be a couple of external harddrives i frequentially plug in, do a backup (pull the data over) and then plug out and store it somewhere i guess.

For the UPS i will do my research on.

Like i said i will take my time with this build and don't rush it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sounds like you are on the right track. For the usb backups there is a plugin for that which unmount the drives automatically when the backup is finished.

• Sounds like you are on the right track. For the usb backups there is a plugin for that which unmount the drives automatically when the backup is finished.

That sounds good :)

A quick question about the backup system. I will use external hard drives probably, and you say there is a plugin that also automatically unmounts the drives when the backup is finished. Let's say i am not at home for a longer period of time like for example i go to work in a foreign country for one year. Usually someone is at home but is there also a good backup option i could trigger remotely? I know the best would be to not let the backup be all the time connected to my NAS but do you know a good solution?

Because it is kind of hard to plugin and plug out backup drives when i am in another country..and there is no person at home at the moment.

Usually someone is but i rather want to think about the extreme case now then later.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For the UPS i will do my research on.

Choose a UPS that is compatible with the OMV plug-in. Here is the list. Some are more compatible than others.

https://networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html

is there also a good backup option i could trigger remotely?

If you have the possibility, a solution could be a separate machine for backups. You can start it remotely, make the copy and then switch it off remotely as well. In addition, this has another advantage, you only have to access the backup machine remotely. More security for your main NAS, no need to configure remote access to it.

• Choose a UPS that is compatible with the OMV plug-in. Here is the list. Some are more compatible than others.

https://networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html

If you have the possibility, a solution could be a separate machine for backups. You can start it remotely, make the copy and then switch it off remotely as well. In addition, this has another advantage, you only have to access the backup machine remotely. More security for your main NAS, no need to configure remote access to it.

okey thank you, i will choose my UPS based on the page compatebility.

I will never put in any kind of remote access directly to my NAS. I will only log in over VPN tunner to my home router.

So you mean i could remote access a secondary machine and over the machine trigger the backup and then turn it off again?

Then how i turn the machine on and off again? Over wake on lan or how?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Copaxy One simple solution would be to use an sbc arm board for your backup omv and set up a schedule job on it to rsync your data folders on your main server, with a command at rsync completion to shut down. If you plug this into a simple timer you can have it power up the sbc just before your scheduled job is set to begin, and then have the timer schedule to cut power shortly after backup and shutdown. No need to remotely wake on LAN at all. Now how you would do that with a regular PC to have the machine come on when the timer turned the power on, doubtless there’s a way but I don’t know how.

Edit: I just remembered, there is a sample rsync in my signature below. Hope that helps.

• Copaxy One simple solution would be to use an sbc arm board for your backup omv and set up a schedule job on it to rsync your data folders on your main server, with a command at rsync completion to shut down. If you plug this into a simple timer you can have it power up the sbc just before your scheduled job is set to begin, and then have the timer schedule to cut power shortly after backup and shutdown. No need to remotely wake on LAN at all. Now how you would do that with a regular PC to have the machine come on when the timer turned the power on, doubtless there’s a way but I don’t know how.

Edit: I just remembered, there is a sample rsync in my signature below. Hope that helps.

Ohh okey so you mean i could set up a sbc (like a raspberry Pi??) then put another copy of OMV on it and run a rsync command with a shut down command at the end when it is finished and with a timer it can power on again before a scheduled rsync. Or am i wrong?

But then how i do the timer thing? If i for example take a Pi which i have laying around then the Pi is off when it is off. Or do you mean something like a smart socket which is a timer socket and powers on and off automatically? But then how the socket knows the schedule is finish and the pi turns off by the command of rsync. Later the socket cuts the power to early

• Offizieller Beitrag

Over wake on lan or how?

I've never needed to research this, but yes, WOL can be a path.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But then how the socket knows the schedule is finish and the pi turns off by the command of rsync. Later the socket cuts the power to early

It might take a little trial and error to determine how long a Rsync will take. Add some time to that for a margin of error.

This kind of timer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d…=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

The purpose of the timer is to act as a start up for the sbc, as it does not have a power switch. It starts up as soon as power is supplied.

• It might take a little trial and error to determine how long a Rsync will take. Add some time to that for a margin of error.

This kind of timer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d…=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

The purpose of the timer is to act as a start up for the sbc, as it does not have a power switch. It starts up as soon as power is supplied.

Ahh okey i got it.

Yeah sounds like a good solution to me. Thanks for the tipp.

Another thing, when i use a sbc for example the PI then i need to plug in all my backup drives to it when it is handling the job. If i need to plugin 5 or 6 external hard drives over usb to the PI i need a usb hub with power. But the most usb hubs only come with around 10W of power delivery, and a drive can take up to 11W of power. Do you think it can handle multiple usb harddrives or do you have a idea for that problem?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If i need to plugin 5 or 6 external hard drives over usb to the PI i need a usb hub with power. But the most usb hubs only come with around 10W of power delivery, and a drive can take up to 11W of power. Do you think it can handle multiple usb harddrives or do you have a idea for that problem?

=O Beats me. Maybe someone else has an answer to that.

• I think that plugging that many USB drives into anything and expecting it to be highly reliable is unrealistic.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I think that plugging that many USB drives into anything and expecting it to be highly reliable is unrealistic.

That's true but how else i am able to manage 6 backup drives with the method Agricola said?

That's the problem.

Copaxy One simple solution would be to use an sbc arm board for your backup omv and set up a schedule job on it to rsync your data folders on your main server, with a command at rsync completion to shut down. If you plug this into a simple timer you can have it power up the sbc just before your scheduled job is set to begin, and then have the timer schedule to cut power shortly after backup and shutdown. No need to remotely wake on LAN at all. Now how you would do that with a regular PC to have the machine come on when the timer turned the power on, doubtless there’s a way but I don’t know how.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Many boards can be booted with WOL. There are many methods to shut down the system, including an add-on, autoshutdown.

I would not use a raspberry.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What would you recommend me to use?

You said you have a backup server, use that. You just have to investigate its bios and find out how to start it by WOL.

• You said you have a backup server, use that. You just have to investigate its bios and find out how to start it by WOL.

Actually it is not a good and secure server thats why i build a new one. It was just experimental so it is no reliable backup system.

NVM, i will think about what i can do. Maybe i will have some idea.

• Is there a possible way of connecting my Pi-NAS directly to my PC?

Because i want to backup a lot of my old data but the connection through my router is very slow. So i thought about if i connect my pc direct to my PI-NAS that i can achive higher speeds for this one large backup.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!