KRINNAYE (A NASette)

• TANENA: A Brief History.

Mobo: ASRock A55M-HVS (AMD FM1) purchased in September 2013

APU: AMD A4 3400 dual-core at 2.7GHz purchased in September 2013

Mem: 2× 2GB

PSU: Antec 380W (by Seasonic) in Antec towercase purchased in 2013

In late 2013, I built WOMBAT and installed Win-7, 32-bit. The original towercase, whilst having a side duct (and I fitted an 80mm fan), was quite small and I worried that the chip might run hot. Since I had recently bought three enormous Arctic 64 chip coolers, it seemed to make sense to install one. In March 2014, I transferred the Win-7 license, as 64-bit, to SILVERFOX (now known, in a different towercase, as KATHENA).

In June 2014, I installed XP into WOMBAT. Initially, the mobo and the SSD (Crucial M4 64GB) didn't get along so I replaced the mobo (the cheaper of the two components) with the Gigabyte equivalent. Her boot-to-desktop was a consistent 21 seconds.

In September 2016, the Gigabyte mobo was showing signs that something might be going wrong with it, so I reinstated the ASRock unit and installed a Samsung 850 EVO 120GB. Her boot time remained 21 seconds.

In June 2018, WOMBAT was relegated to the status of "spare"' PC and put away.

At the end of 2019, I replaced her difficult-to-work-on towercase with a larger, low-quality 'freebie'. I renamed her TANENA and her status remained "spare".

In August 2020, she did a week of service in my library as 'companion PC' while KRISTA (Vista 32-bit) was being partly disassembled for the building of two fresh PCs (KRAEGA and KATRORA). In October 2020, she did a week of service in the lounge room as 'companion PC' and 'morning streamer' when WALLABY (XP quad) needed a replacement PSU. (Even though I keep a stock of PSUs, I couldn't be bothered replacing it right away.)

In August 2021, I hooked up TANENA for a quick run and an avast update. I discovered that one memory slot was non-functional and her boot time had stretched to 27 seconds. I replaced the 2× 2GB Unifosa 1333 with a single stick of 4GB Kingston 1600. I put TANENA through some paces; obviously, the loading of web pages was not as quick as with WALLABY, but she could stream MSNBC from the US with the chip usage fluctuating between 40 and 60%.

At this time, I made the decision to change TANENA into KRINNAYE—a NASette. Being just for my music library and concert videos, her read/write speed wouldn't need to be as fast as that of KREEANNE—my primary NAS.

Storage: 4TB (2× WD Red Plus 4TB, 128MB; in mirror)

As with KREEANNE's installing, I had to leave the network cable disconnected until the DHCP began configuring; and even then, it took two attempts to get beyond this point.

Here we see KRINNAYE building the RAID. Boot SSD in the top of the tower (behind the USB ports), spinners in the bottom—widely spaced because there is no ready-made facility for a front fan. Rean fan (Evercool 90mm) runs at 5V, side fan (Arctic F8) runs at 7V (+12 for pos, +5 for neg).

Once again, openmediavault created the RAID flawlessly, everything clicked into place perfectly, KRINNAYE responds faster than I thought she would, and I was happy to make another financial contribution.

Here we see KRINNAYE and KREEANNE together. They both run 24/7, but only KREEANNE is powered through a UPS (Tripp Lite 850VA).

Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H (AM3 socket), AMD Athlon II X4 640 quad CPU (3GHz), 2× 2GB mem

Boot: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, Storage: 4TB (4× WD Red Plus 2TB, 128MB; in RAID10)

Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2 (FM2 socket), AMD A4 7300 dual-core APU (3.8 GHz), 2× 2GB mem

Boot: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, Storage: 4TB (2× WD Red Plus 4TB, 128MB; in mirror)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!