150 € build

• It's one month that I'm testing OMV + SyncThing on Raspberry Pi4 and I am pretty happy about the result. At the moment I use it only to sync files but I'm thinking to buld a better system with a budget of 150 € hdds excluded. I like the Odroid HC4 and the RockPro64 but probably never will be a big improvement over Pi4 so I'm evaluating to build a mini ITX system maybe with a Asrock J3455. What do you thing about these solutions?

• Well a Pi4 saturates a 1Gbit wired network already, what benefits for a user (aka client) of a NAS do you expect by investing into a fast NAS server?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Ah, this information was provided in another post only.

I'd suggest to outline the full details of HW, context and all issues encountered with the current Pi4 before we discuss potential solutions

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• 1.5 hours _EVERY_ time? Not sure how Syncthing works, but that sounds horribly inefficient.

As far as staying with an SBC, I think RPi4 kind of caps out of the potential so good luck if you stay with SBC. If not, a lot people buy a used HP microserver for around your price target ($150usd seems to be the average selling bid price on ebay).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Another good option would be a Lenovo ThinkServer TS140. Look for ecc ram and Xeon processor. Not all TS140’s have this. Patience will bring up offers in the $150-200 US range. Make sure the caddy trays are in good shape. Sometimes the plastic around caddy mounts will be rotted. Replacement caddy’s are readily available and cheap. The case will hold three drives with ease, and four with a little tinkering; five if you remove the optical drive.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!