My first Raspberry Pi project.

• So here it is. My first Raspberry Pi project.

HARDWARE.

Starting with the Raspberry Pi 4 4GB in a Argon case. Linked to a powered USB3 hub which has 3 14TB WD Elements HDD’s formatted in ext4 totalling some 42TB (38TB useable after formatting). In hindsight I should possibly have put them in some sort of RAID configuration but they are all working fine for my needs (For now).

SOFTWARE.

OMV5 running 2 plug-ins, miniDLNA (for older TV’s), and openmediavault-flashmemory (to limit read and writes on the SD card) Also running a Plex server through docker and portainer. Plex also runs a DLNA server too that only seems to work with newer TV’s in the house.

FUTURE PLANS

Add an FTP server and replace the SD Card with something else, maybe a USB stick? Or at least back up the SD Card to a USB Stick. Do you have any recommendations for any services, add-ons or plug ins I should consider using? Would love to hear your feedback. :)

• Maybe turn it on it's side to stop the dust...?

While I think I've stated this a 1000 times, don't forget you can run pretty much anything under OMV as it's Debian based. The OMV literature does seem to sweep right past this and get to what it offers itself, rightfully, but being Debian based is a huge plus (makes OMV a clear leader IMO).

The Docker section here is a testimony to being Debian based. There's just a ton of crap in there. I don't mean that negatively, I simply mean there's a TON OF crap in there. I've seen things from athletic stuff, phone phreaking (apparently), game servering... just a ton of stuff and this is just a NAS site.

• 3 14TB WD Elements HDD’s formatted in ext4 totalling some 42TB (38TB useable after formatting). In hindsight I should possibly have put them in some sort of RAID configuration but they are all working fine for my needs (For now).

I'm pretty sure that OMV's GUI will not let you configure a RAID with USB attached drives. But you probably could set it up by hand in the shell.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 5.x on Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 16GB ECC RAM.

• But there is a lot of truth in the old phrase "raid is not a backup" and often nonsense for home users.

I have simply defined a drive as a backup drive and make versioned backups with rsnapshot. This works very nice and reliable.

• Or at least back up the SD Card to a USB Stick.

The advice is to do a full IMAGE copy of the SD card every once in a while.

This is my personal experience (not saying that is a the facto rule)

The way I do it is: every 4 weeks (when I return home), I bring down the Pis and make a full image copy with Win32DiskImager (Win10) and burn it to another SDcard and test it.

If all is well, I continue using that card ,name the image with DATE and then, that image is kept safe until 2/3 other monthly backups are made.

That way, the SDcard is rotated every month instead of using the same card until it breaks.

You can also use a USB stick for this.

This takes about 1 Hour to do, so it's only a matter of focus on that for a few moments and the OS is always safe guarded.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!